Post here when you fall off your bike

April 13, 2019, 9:50 p.m.

You’re only one crash away!!!!

Sept. 4, 2019, 11:56 p.m.

I landed on my face this afternoon at the first rock roll on Forever After.  No idea what happened... I had done the roll and was on essentially level ground when suddenly I was OTB with my face in the dirt.  Very lucky to not have broken any teeth, but I'll have a fat lip for a few days and some trail rash on my face.  Spit blood the rest of the way down FA and across Bridle to Old Buck.

My worst wrecks are always in the Fall.  I figure I get too cocky and/or complacent as my confidence level gets higher later in the season.

Sept. 7, 2019, 8:04 p.m.

Glad both of you are ok and will mend in no time!!! Both sound like they could have been nasty and so sore and cut and bruised is a huge win. 

Ride safe!!!!

Aug. 31, 2021, 8:49 p.m.

It's been so long since anyone crashed it seems; thought I'd bring this thread back to life from the injured list.

No bike crashes but as it turns out I am an old man. Was walking up a single step onto my patio, clipped the toe of my flip flop and was taking a header onto the wood when I managed to get my right leg under me while only maybe knee distance from the ground. My fight to stay off the ground was strong and I instinctively started to try to straighten up from the deepest single leg  knee bend I have ever done. My ribs were squished against my thigh as I was already in the process of falling face first. As I strained to keep from biting it, I could feel all my ribs and intercostals crying out, at that point I decided the fall would hurt less than continuing to try to avoid it and just took the header I should have accepted in the first place. The fall was inconsequential but my ribs from trying to avoid it are quite unhappy with me. Now it hurts to breath, laugh and hiccup. It sucks getting old.

I also managed to run my hand into a stump while cornering. On a positive note, the stump was old and rotten and didn't break my knuckle. As well, I must have been really committing to my cornering technique to clip my inside hand on a relatively low lying stump that I didn't even take notice of. I guess I'm channelling a little Matt Hunter? In any case, I'm beaten but not broken; and still riding :)

Ride safe everyone!

Jan. 13, 2022, 8:42 p.m.

Does falling off your rollers count? If so, I had an epic today.

Jan. 13, 2022, 10:11 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

It's been so long since anyone crashed it seems; thought I'd bring this thread back to life from the injured list.

No bike crashes but as it turns out I am an old man. Was walking up a single step onto my patio, clipped the toe of my flip flop and was taking a header onto the wood when I managed to get my right leg under me while only maybe knee distance from the ground. My fight to stay off the ground was strong and I instinctively started to try to straighten up from the deepest single leg  knee bend I have ever done. My ribs were squished against my thigh as I was already in the process of falling face first. As I strained to keep from biting it, I could feel all my ribs and intercostals crying out, at that point I decided the fall would hurt less than continuing to try to avoid it and just took the header I should have accepted in the first place. The fall was inconsequential but my ribs from trying to avoid it are quite unhappy with me. Now it hurts to breath, laugh and hiccup. It sucks getting old.

I also managed to run my hand into a stump while cornering. On a positive note, the stump was old and rotten and didn't break my knuckle. As well, I must have been really committing to my cornering technique to clip my inside hand on a relatively low lying stump that I didn't even take notice of. I guess I'm channelling a little Matt Hunter? In any case, I'm beaten but not broken; and still riding :)

Ride safe everyone!

Do ribs get easier to break as you age? I've done mine in twice in the last few months.

First time overshooting a jump and rolling the tire, couple weeks ago hitting an ice patch.

Jan. 14, 2022, 5:31 a.m.

If only my tech challenged ass could figure out how to post pics on here I could show you guys the biggest Haematoma I’ve ever seen. A grapefruit sized lump from my hip and the bruising eventually made it all the way to the bottom of my foot over the course of about ten days. I took photos of it as it grew to share with my riding buddies. Provided a lot of humour over the holidays.

Jan. 18, 2022, 12:07 p.m.

I had a stupid hardtail crash mid December on a fast rough section at night. 

It was a stupid little crash but dislocated my left metacarpal/phalanx joint at my thumb and might have broken something at the same time. I reduced it trail side and went home expecting it to be a 3day rest from the bike. Six or so weeks later it still hurts, I took a bunch of weeks off but am back riding but it’s far worse than I expected!

I didn’t bother going to the hospital.

Jan. 18, 2022, 12:29 p.m.

That was weirdly parallel. Fell mid December as well, due to my front wheel slipping off roots on an uphill.

Putting my hand out to stop me hitting the floor I managed to dislocate my ring finger at the first knuckle -  it was at right angles to the bone, which almost made my riding buddy sick when he saw it. 

I needed to relocate there and then as it was a 30 minute hike back to the lot without the bike -  and to take advantage of the natural painkillers dumped into my bloodstream.

Rode out, got a follow up XRay done and found I'd fractured the cartilage face of the knuckle as well. Not much else to be done but hot/cold slow mobility flexing, buddy taping and to slowly nurse it back,  but I was told it could be up to 6 months before I got full range of motion back. The ER doc told me that relocating fingers/toes is a reasonable thing to do as they would have done the same thing but I would have had to sit through 3-6 hours of swelling and pain before anyone saw me.

I'm still not riding as I can't afford a slip where I put my hand out which is boring. More hiking and drain+tree clearing is in the future. And having a really good think about medical supplies that I bring on rides.

Jan. 18, 2022, 12:49 p.m.

Yeah fingers are something I’ll always try to put in myself. Unfortunately my hands are at the point that I’ve gotten good at it. 

I’ve dislocated fingers on airplanes opening twist off caps and true story I woke up the other day in the middle of the night with a completely dislocated ring finger. I put them all in and carry on. Which is why I’ve been surprised that this latest riding dislocation is not as easy!!!

Jan. 18, 2022, 1:36 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Yeah fingers are something I’ll always try to put in myself. Unfortunately my hands are at the point that I’ve gotten good at it. 

I’ve dislocated fingers on airplanes opening twist off caps and true story I woke up the other day in the middle of the night with a completely dislocated ring finger. I put them all in and carry on. Which is why I’ve been surprised that this latest riding dislocation is not as easy!!!

Ow ow ow.  I wonder if the associated trauma makes everything tighten when it's a get-off from a bike. Annoyingly I almost dislocated the opposite ring finger falling over shovelling snow a week later. 
At least I can snowboard by binding my hand like a boxer's before I put it into my mitten.

Jan. 18, 2022, 1:36 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I had a stupid hardtail crash mid December on a fast rough section at night.

It was a stupid little crash but dislocated my left metacarpal/phalanx joint at my thumb and might have broken something at the same time. I reduced it trail side and went home expecting it to be a 3day rest from the bike. Six or so weeks later it still hurts, I took a bunch of weeks off but am back riding but it’s far worse than I expected!

I didn’t bother going to the hospital.

I did the same thing in 2018, being thrown to the ground instantly by a rogue root. It was already back in place when I popped up, but I knew it came out, at least temporarily. X-rays showed no breaks, but I didn't really follow up with any proper rehab, and now I'm still working to get my strength and flexibility back in that zone. The #1 time I notice it is when I need to remove/install tires, because the thumb is quite weak. That joint is also way bigger now.

I've been neglecting this thread. I'll copy/paste from Andrew's "Chin Guard" article comments:

"Fall is usually time for me to reacclimatize to riding the hard tail. I like riding it anytime, but fall/winter is when it gets exclusive attention, and getting back into "the mode" is always a 2 or 3 ride affair. One of the first ones this past season was a super slick and muddy ride down 7th, which is usually one of my my go-to for recalibrating on the half-squish. On a particularly slick down-left rock roll, there was a brand-new hole as my wheel transitioned to level ground, and I went OTB faster than I could think. My face/lip was the first point of contact, not to the point of blood, but a fat lip, and I could feel that my front tooth really wanted to start pushing through the skin. Pretty close call.

Then again, probably 4 rides later (still hard tail), I was doing some lower laps and found myself on Expresso. Normally, except for the top weird tight bits, Expresso is a full-boar affair on that bike, because it's not very tech, can just pump and rail everything. I guess they had taken a few trees/stumps out from the previous time I'd been down, and the pace was running noticeably faster than I've ever experienced. One cheeky line up close to a tree, and a clipped bar sent me absolutely flying... About 10m into a stump... with my face. Auto pilot turned my head to the right before impact, and my jaw made contact with the stump, right below my ear. I popped up, thinking broken jaw, concussion, maimed face, no way around it. To my amazement, I was 100% other than a sore jaw the next day. That's just pure luck, no kidding myself here."

Last edited by: mammal on Jan. 19, 2022, 10 a.m., edited 1 time in total.