Post here when you fall off your bike

Oct. 13, 2018, 7:58 p.m.

DDean - I know the drop/roll and I know the injury (mangled a finger a few years back crashing on Wild Cherry - pins/screws/baling wire needed). From experience I can say it didn't take as long to heal as I feared but it is critical to do all the weird hand exercises the physio will prescribe. I recovered full function but today still can't draw my fingers completely together. When I raise my left hand it looks like I am giving a half-hearted "live long and prosper" Star Trek greeting.

Good luck with your recovery.

Last edited by: HulaOtter on Oct. 13, 2018, 7:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 24, 2018, 10:51 a.m.

I went OTB on Dales a week ago and the left side of my chest landed pretty hard on a log. Knocked the wind out of me, but only minor scrapes.  Got myself sorted, continued my ride and got a PR on Forever After, so I figured I had come out of it OK.  

It still hurts like hell when I sneeze, so now I'm thinking I might have bruised / cracked a rib or something.

Oct. 24, 2018, 11:06 a.m.

Hula - unfortunately I’m well versed in these things as I’ve broken my wrists a bunch over my life and mangled fingers even more. I’ll do most of the physio (as usual!) and I’ll  be fine. I’ve got kwires in my finger now and by the end it’ll be fine and I’ll be out there without impact. 

My last drop gone wrong in spring of 2017 required almost 10hrs of physio a week until I shut it down after 3 months. 3 x 3hr apts. This is nothing!

Oct. 24, 2018, 1:11 p.m.

That sucks. Heal up Dave!

Oct. 25, 2018, 11:49 p.m.

Haven't had a good fall since the beginning of season, then three good ones in the last week!

#1 - standing beside a small cliff on a night ride. stepped back a few inches and realized the cliff was a bit closer than thought - i.e. not there at all! went backwards down the embankment. Luckily grabbed onto a tree that kept me from sliding to the bottom.

#2 - decided I the time to try a line I crashed on last time was to do it at night on a fully rigid single speed in the dark with a headlight - that didn't go great but just a couple of scrapes and a bruised ego.

#3 was a little kicker beside the trail but landed a little too close to the edge where the just happened to be a small tree that thought my bike had had enough rolling for one day and sent me otb. My group was pretty impressed with that one.

anyways. No injuries. crashing sucks but injuries blow. No injuries = lesson learned. don't step backwards in the pitch dark next to a cliff. Don't do stupid lines in the dark without shocks or gears and land jumps on the trail, not a tree. Seems simple enough.

Nov. 18, 2018, 6 p.m.

Managed to do a mangled pinky of my own today.

Group ride and they wanted to ride forever after. I suggested we ride it via Dale's. Got outvoted and we took that janky section of the BP the links the top of severed to forever after.

Brain decided a nice big handful of front brake was a good idea in the middle of one of the particularly janky spots. Slow speed OTB onto finger and elbow.

I got lucky as there really no nice places to crash land on that trail. I don't think it's broken as its not too swollen but pain is high and mobility is low.

On the bright side I made a concerted effort to be less hamfisted with the front brakes and the rest of the ride went really well.

I am somewhat new to the shore and I get the feeling that figuring out when to brake and when not to brake is one of the most important skills. The interesting thing is that when in doubt, less brakes is often better than more... Lol...

Anyways hopefully it's not a big swollen purple breakfast sausage in the morning. If not I bet it's ok in 4 or 5 days. Ahhh crashing.

Last edited by: Kenny on Nov. 18, 2018, 6:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 21, 2018, 5:41 p.m.

Damn fingers!  Mine is still stiff from that crash two months ago but it’s not really noticeable in regular use. My foot on the other hand is still sore. I may have suffered a mild form of a Lisfranc injury. It’s only sore if I flex the foot up. Like when putting on pants in the morning. But again, I can hike and ride and there are no issues. And it is slowly improving.

Nov. 21, 2018, 7:03 p.m.

My pins are coming out of my finger on Friday and I’m so stoked! Good riddance you two little bastards!

Last edited by: Ddean on Nov. 21, 2018, 11:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 24, 2018, 10:28 a.m.

The creepy experience of watching (and feeling) 1.5inch pins being removed from my finger is behind me, but Im still off the bike it seems for a couple weeks, maybe a few weeks, as the finger is still too unstable to ride with (even splinted).

The rest of my body is a mess but this finger will be perfect when its done!

Oh well.

March 8, 2019, 6:51 p.m.

Went Halfway up the golf course climb on Seymour today, decided conditions sucked and turned back down a random hiking trail. Those trails are not steep but have the odd little Rocky/rooty crux.

Anyways I guess I was too focused on watching for ice and not enough on the terrain itself. Somehow did a major OTB on a little bit, hit my temple pretty good, broke my dropper lever, and bruised up most of the rest of me.

Ugh, stupid.

Last edited by: Kenny on March 8, 2019, 7 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 25, 2019, 10:32 a.m.

I'm broken again. Bust collarbone. 6 - 8 weeks out.

Riding really well on all the tech lines on Cypress - Shore Play, Trunk Monkey, Wild Cherry, Roach etc. Then I crash over a berm into a tree after coming down a rock face trying to stop before another tricky section.

Maybe one day I'll learn. But probably not.

April 2, 2019, 1:35 p.m.

Posted by: Kieran

I'm broken again. Bust collarbone. 6 - 8 weeks out.

Riding really well on all the tech lines on Cypress - Shore Play, Trunk Monkey, Wild Cherry, Roach etc. Then I crash over a berm into a tree after coming down a rock face trying to stop before another tricky section.

Maybe one day I'll learn. But probably not.

That my excuse too when I break - I was riding all the toughest lines like Tomac, until I wasn't!
Maybe this is my summer for staying on the bike? 

Here is a list of all of the body parts that are bugging me as I type this:

Right AC joint is HORRIFICALLY loose after a May 2017 separation. I can actually feel my collarbone rotate as I move my shoulder around and if I push down on the protrusion, the bone rotates at my sternum. Yes, I did the physio!

Left ring finger a bitch since my Oct 2018 crash that left me with a mallet fracture and pins. If Im holding something tight like a jug of milk, the tendons are tight enough that the finger sublux's. Yes, I did the physio!

Left hamstring - maybe 10% strength, maybe. I did so much physio for this but my reality is that there were 4 bad bad tears that you can feel as big holes in my hamstring and the muscle doesn't contract linearly anymore...so leverage is way off. It took almost 5 months for me to be able to contract the hamstring at all - the muscle would not fire without electrical stimulation. It balls up every day and cramps up just from day to day life and I need my wife to roll it out with a rolling pin. Thank you bride!

My ears have been ringing since a fall 2015 crash on 5th Horseman. Constantly. Not stopped since then. Both of them.

RIght thumb very loose from a Rolondo's fracture and nearby disclocation in 2012

Left thumb hurting a bit, but not really, but I can feel it, from a scaphoid fracture in 2013.

Kids, this is what your future looks like!!!!

April 13, 2019, 8:42 a.m.

Holy shit. Reminds me of https://enduro-mtb.com/en/cam-zink-about-his-injuries/

April 13, 2019, 9:10 a.m.

Yeah, Ive had some crashes since I moved here 4 years ago! Combination of the sketchy riding out here being new to me (Im an XC guy from ON) and me getting older and ending up broken from crashes that would easily dusty myself off of years ago. Such is life.

I dislocated a finger on the airplane this week opening a bottle of water! It was dislocated and locked in a flexed position. I popped it back in without any drama, but …..Im starting to rethink some things.

Last edited by: Ddean on April 13, 2019, 9:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 13, 2019, 12:49 p.m.

Jeez Dave I thought I was in bad dshape. I'll help dig a grave somewhere on cypress for you once I'm fixed.