Post here when you fall off your bike

Aug. 5, 2018, 12:06 a.m.

Posted by: idle

Not a crash per se, but I am really considering leg guards with shin pads these days...

Just go clipless. Solves this problem entirely.

Sept. 14, 2018, 8:27 a.m.

I just did my first endo in years. I was on Seymour. My seat was up to get over a little incline but I forgot to drop it as the trail started to descend again. Trail was a bit janky and my front wheel got stuck in a rut and I got hit in the butt with my saddle and I knew it was happening. I had recently tightened my pedals so as time slowed down I realized I was the author of my own demise. No major harm done, just a feeling of self disappointment.

Sept. 14, 2018, 6:19 p.m.

I don't know how the world cup DH racers ride with their saddles so high.

Thread killer

Sept. 17, 2018, 5:29 p.m.

They do?

Sept. 18, 2018, 1:50 p.m.

I think with modern DH bikes there isn't much need to get the ass way back over the back tire/behind the saddle as often so guys can run em high for seated pedaling. They also look high when the bike is standing on its own but at sag the saddle drops pretty low compared to a trail bike.

Sept. 18, 2018, 5:39 p.m.

Went off a small drop on Its Business Time this morning, front tire slipped right and I went ass over tea kettle. Landed on my head and I guess rolled forward out of it. My fanny pack was off after it all. Scuffed helmet a bit. Knee hurt a bit just near the top of the pads where the pad tappers thin. Finger hurt a bit. About ten minutes further down and almost out my finger feels stiff and it’s like there is a pebble in my glove. Remove glove. Left middle finger won’t bend and it doesn’t line up right. Pull it lightly and pop pop it goes back in. A short while later I poke at my pad where my knee hurts and the finger goes out again. And again when I’m pulling my socks on after my shower. X-rays say a ligament pulled a tiny hunk of bone off the last phalange. Splinted now and it should heal in a few weeks on its own.

Sept. 19, 2018, 7:19 p.m.

Jesus, tough it out much?🏋️  I would've been on the ground in the fetal position just from the finger injury.

Sept. 20, 2018, 1:38 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Went off a small drop on Its Business Time this morning, front tire slipped right and I went ass over tea kettle. Landed on my head and I guess rolled forward out of it. My fanny pack was off after it all. Scuffed helmet a bit. Knee hurt a bit just near the top of the pads where the pad tappers thin. Finger hurt a bit. About ten minutes further down and almost out my finger feels stiff and it’s like there is a pebble in my glove. Remove glove. Left middle finger won’t bend and it doesn’t line up right. Pull it lightly and pop pop it goes back in. A short while later I poke at my pad where my knee hurts and the finger goes out again. And again when I’m pulling my socks on after my shower. X-rays say a ligament pulled a tiny hunk of bone off the last phalange. Splinted now and it should heal in a few weeks on its own.

had a few of those, do your physio or you will lose range of motion in that finger!!

Sept. 20, 2018, 9:40 p.m.

I have been referred to the hand docs at St Paul’s where I go tomorrow morning for probably a better splint and a book of instructions for rehab. My trainer is a physio too so I should be in good hands. Haha hands. Anyway it is possible that I come home looking like I had an extreme knitting injury according to a friend that used to be an orthopaedic surgeon. He did both my knee repairs. He said it is possible that they might pin it and place a small splint on it. Hope not. We’ll see. Don’t want to loose any range in my left middle finger as that’s my driving finger.

The injury didn’t really hurt and neither did the subsequent dislocation or putting the digit back in place. Oh well. Shit happens.

Addendum. Turns out there are no fractures or torn ligament or tendon. They simply tapped the knuckle and gave me the rest of the roll and scissors for a couple weeks. I rode a simple trail this morning and it feels fine. Dodged a small bullet.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on Sept. 22, 2018, 1:14 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 30, 2018, 7:17 a.m.

Went over the bars right after dropping into The Wiz on Mt.Washington. It's a short fairly steep rock garden, you have to clean it with some speed to air the wood feature at the bottom. Wet day, front tire slid off a the side of a rock, bars went sideways and vaulted me over. Walked away with some bruises and a sore ankle.

Last edited by: Madman on Sept. 30, 2018, 7:17 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 30, 2018, 10:05 a.m.

^sounds like a close one!

I always count my lucky stars when I walk away from crashes like that with just bruises because the difference between the good outcome and a worse outcome is just random dumb luck. Glad that you came up with good cards!!!

I went down a few weeks ago on Roach Hit on Cypress. It could have been nasty but I too had good cards, but I’m pretty sure that I did  additional damage to my shoulder (AC), which is already being held together with duct tape.  Not sure what to do about it - aside from not crashing. I don’t believe that I can protect an AC joint while riding. Next stop is probably a pin but I’d rather keep mobility in the joint than pins.

Sept. 30, 2018, 9:19 p.m.

Would a shoulder harness, brace or support help things? Maybe keep the AC joint in place?

Sept. 30, 2018, 9:29 p.m.

Not really. I have a shoulder stabilizing brace but it’s not meant to assist with AC joints, but it’s the closest there is. I used to ride with it - don’t anymore because its not that helpful. 

AC injuries have to be common around here. Wonder what others who have little remaining ligament tissue holding the joint together are doing. My clavicle is flipped right up! Wife says it’s disgusting, almost as bad as my gnarly hands which have been broken/dislocated often!!!!

Oct. 13, 2018, 5:13 p.m.

Ah crap - I’m out for awhile!

Broke my finger on Thursday and they’re pinning it on Monday.

On Cypress. Near the bottom of Upper Tall Cans - that sketchy drop/roll after you come out into the first road and go back in again. It’s come close to getting me a few times but it’s mostly ok - awkward two stepper. But I’ve always held it together. On Thursday I did a last second line change to try something different (terrible line!) did not end well!

Guess I’ll be hiking for awhile.

Last edited by: Ddean on Oct. 13, 2018, 6:36 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 13, 2018, 7:49 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Not really. I have a shoulder stabilizing brace but it’s not meant to assist with AC joints, but it’s the closest there is. I used to ride with it - don’t anymore because its not that helpful. 

AC injuries have to be common around here. Wonder what others who have little remaining ligament tissue holding the joint together are doing. My clavicle is flipped right up! Wife says it’s disgusting, almost as bad as my gnarly hands which have been broken/dislocated often!!!!

injuries like the ac joint highlight the benefit of strength training for the upper body for mtb'ers