Post here when you fall off your bike

March 9, 2018, 5:52 p.m.

Went off the log drop at the very end of the HSL exit at a speed far above my skill level today. Feet became separated from the bike whilst in the air (platforms) and landed right on my shoulder. Broken collar bone. Boooo...   :( 

also a pretty lame spot to crash. Ugh feel like an idiot.

March 10, 2018, 9:27 a.m.

First ride of the season, getting ready to drop into boogie nights, feeling good. And then I hit an awkward root sideways too slow within the first 4 feet and went over the bars looking like I'd just lost a fight with a bunch of orange tubes. Pushed back up, looked around to if anyone was laughing their arse off and set off again. I always like getting the first fall in early.

March 10, 2018, 12:31 p.m.

I fell on my head at the juncture of GJ and Mels. Watch for the sprung broken root lurking in the wash behind the exposed drain pipe.

March 11, 2018, 4:24 a.m.

WTH?

I checked back into this thread to read about all the new carnage posts and nothing? Really? Where are all the bad crashes?

I’ll tell you about another bad crash of mine. Gatineau Park just outside of Ottawa. 90’s. I was coming down a trail to Meach Lake and thought I had a couple more corners before the parking lot. I came around the final corner way too fast and launched off a staircase right into a parking lot. 

This happened long before MTBing became a thing and this was a hiking trail. I hit the pavement on my side. I still have the big patches of scars on my right side the remember it by. When I finally looked up I had an older Italian woman bending over me crossing herself and holding her rosary beads and praying!!!!!

Aside from losing a bunch of skin and picking rocks out of my body for awhile, I was fine. I’ll never forget that crash almost 30 years ago.

March 12, 2018, 11:01 a.m.

In 2000 I did a stationary wheelie drop off a boulder to concrete. Tore the crowns of my Stratos MX6 right off, I hit the ground with my face though more or less escaped unharmed. Removed my brake caliper from the fork and carried my broken dreams home so I could lick my wounds.

March 13, 2018, 9:21 a.m.

got it.
Will try harder.

March 13, 2018, 10:05 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

WTH?

I checked back into this thread to read about all the new carnage posts and nothing? Really? Where are all the bad crashes?

Would it have made you feel better if I'd said I broke my neck?

March 13, 2018, 10:49 a.m.

Yeah! I kinda thought a broken collar bone story would have qualified. Not gruesome enough I guess! :( Gruesome enough for me. Haha

March 13, 2018, 2:40 p.m.

Broken collar bone certainly qualifies! I missed that - sorry Kenny.

March 14, 2018, 6:02 a.m.

No stories to tell, been on the mend more or less since a pretty bad herniated disc L5S1 on my left side. A lot of spinning on my indoor set up this past winter, went for a road ride yesterday with a whopping 600m of ascending. Up until yesterday I only road on float cycle paths and really tried to avoid hills or climbs.

April 16, 2018, 4:07 p.m.

OH GAWD I hit hard on Ladies on Sat. I'm fine - pulled something in my back but generally I'm hobbling around ok.

That steep roll right before the pond teeter got me. I entered it with a line that had me over the wet slick root at the bottom on riders right. Lost my front wheel and collapsed into the ground at the bottom. OUCH! 

That smarted! Winded but finished the trail and 48hrs later still pretty sore.

April 16, 2018, 10:43 p.m.

I always get drawn over to the right going down that rock chute as well. Dunno what it is about it.

Thread killer

April 18, 2018, 12:22 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

OH GAWD I hit hard on Ladies on Sat. I'm fine - pulled something in my back but generally I'm hobbling around ok.

That steep roll right before the pond teeter got me. I entered it with a line that had me over the wet slick root at the bottom on riders right. Lost my front wheel and collapsed into the ground at the bottom. OUCH! 

That smarted! Winded but finished the trail and 48hrs later still pretty sore.

Ooof, glad it wasn't more serious after your posts earlier in this thread. In some ways it's kind of nice to have a "big" crash after coming back from injury and walking away without major damage. I haven't paid the piper recently and bike park season is coming up, ugh. Last major crash was my last day of last bike park season flying over the bars on the b-line around McSkimming's rock on upper Joyride after snagging the rear of my bike on a root. Major bruised hip,

April 18, 2018, 1:14 p.m.

Damn roots causing all this destruction!

Bike park passes discounted/perks expire May 20th! Its going to be a great summer! I'm waiting until May 19th to make sure I'm still standing this year.

One item: Last year Whistler was amazing about my injury. I had bought 10day WBP cards for my son and I and when I got hurt, full credit for both of us! I was so happy about that. I think that we are going for unlimited passes this year.

May 5, 2018, 3:38 p.m.

3 week update since my last crash posting.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

So my Ladies hit was hard enough to cause a little nerve trauma in my lower back. It’s still hurting and I’m still a bit stiff but I’ll heal up fine shortly I’m sure.

But, as if the actual physical injury wasn’t enough, the powers that be dug deep into their bag of tricks and decided that something I’ve done in my past warrants stringing out the affects of this crash for as long as unreasonably possible. The nerve trauma mobilized a Lord of the Rings Auck-like army of virus particles in the damaged nerves and low and behold, lets give that poor soul just trying to have a fun rip on the Shore....Shingles.

Add that to your list of MTB injuries.

Shingles.

Get the f’ing vaccine!!!!!

Last edited by: Ddean on May 5, 2018, 3:40 p.m., edited 2 times in total.