Possible broken wrist

Aug. 26, 2005, 8:42 a.m.

RE: Drop in Clinic.
I think the lonsdale drop in clinic has an exray machine, if not they will direct you to the exray department at the hospital. Atleast however you won't be sitting in emergancy for 5 hours.

Aug. 26, 2005, 10:28 a.m.

They do have an x-ray machine at Lonsdale Drop In Clinic, I've been there many times.

Aug. 26, 2005, 10:34 a.m.

I think the whole Mountain Biking community should take note:

The Lonsdale Drop in Clinic has an X ray Machine…this will reduce the amount of wait time at the Emergancy Room.

Healing vibes to all.

Aug. 26, 2005, 12:42 p.m.

The Lonsdale drop in clinic sounds like the way to go. I've heard that the schaphoid (sp?) bone is one of the worse ones to break in terms of range of motion once healed. As for knowing whether you've broken anything or not… when I looked at my arm and it made an s shape at my wrist - that was a pretty good indicator!!! (2 weeks til that cast and pins come out - yeah!)

Aug. 26, 2005, 12:46 p.m.

I've heard that the schaphoid (sp?) bone is one of the worse ones to break in terms of range of motion once healed

No shit, I was in a cast for 3.5 months because of that. The scaphoid bone is a very small bone with limited blood supply going into it yet it is an integral part of your wrist.

Aug. 26, 2005, 1:36 p.m.

^ design flaw if I've ever seen one. Damn god and his slacking…

-m

Aug. 26, 2005, 3:47 p.m.

I've only broken two bones in my life. First time was an articulate rsdius fracture. I blacked out from the pain, and there was no doubt in my mind it was broken. The second time was the fourth meta-carpel (the longer bone in your hand connected to the ring finger). It hurt a little, I finished riding, hit all the jumps, loaded my bike onto the car and then couldn't turn the key in the ignition. I went out for dinner and there was no swelling, although I couldn't even hold a fork. Next morning was a little swollen, but not horrible. It was very definitely broken.
Moral of the story; if in doubt, get it checked out!
I think it's a male condition that we will avoid the doctors because we are afraid of waht they will tell us. Bit daft when you think about it, isn't it? :)

Aug. 26, 2005, 4:40 p.m.

Go to the emerg at UBC. Its super fast and they have all the facilities.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Aug. 26, 2005, 7:59 p.m.

I think it's a male condition that we will avoid the doctors because we are afraid of waht they will tell us. Bit daft when you think about it, isn't it? :)

it's not just a male condition…i avoid doctors like the plague because i dont want to be told i can't do something. the only time i go is when the pain is more than i can handle - probably not the greatest indicator of a problem :lol:

Aug. 27, 2005, 9:52 a.m.

it's not just a male condition…i avoid doctors like the plague because i dont want to be told i can't do something. the only time i go is when the pain is more than i can handle - probably not the greatest indicator of a problem :lol:

what? like the sound/feel of bones grating together!! =/

Aug. 28, 2005, 4:54 p.m.

I think the whole Mountain Biking community should take note:

The Lonsdale Drop in Clinic has an X ray Machine…this will reduce the amount of wait time at the Emergancy Room.

They do? I was there in March and they didn't. They gave me a report and referred me to the Family Medical Clinic next door, or Lion's Gate Hospital - my choice.

Aug. 28, 2005, 4:57 p.m.

Ok…. wouldn't next door pretty much mean the same thing? And if they do tell you to go to the hospital you still will have already seen a doctor.

Aug. 28, 2005, 5:25 p.m.

Not quite the same. It isn't open late like the drop-in clinic, and you can't necessarily get the x-ray done on the same day - not a big deal if you've already waited a few days to get it looked at.

Still, I would definitely go there first just in case they can squeeze you in. Plus, like you mentioned, you would already have seen a doctor, so you won't use up as much of the emerg doc's time.

Aug. 28, 2005, 7:56 p.m.

well an update after this weekend. No doc's visit but it's definitely not broken either. I woke up Saturday morning (afternoon, actually) and the wrist was like 90%. Feels just fine now. Full range, the swelling's gone down, good strength. Rare as they are, it must have just been a sprain. Funny thing about that crash is that I sprained both wrists and both ankles, bruised a rib (or something, that's been sore for a while now, and cut my ass (it's been very difficult to sit for the last few days). All is well now (last little bit of pain in the rib and wrist area) so I was spared one of those dreaded doctor-visits. Phew!

-m

Aug. 29, 2005, 4:07 p.m.

always good to get the wrist x-rayed. the scaphoid bone as noted earlier has poor blood supply, so much so that if the scaphoid is fractured and does not heal properly the bone can necrose. (die). yes that's right, a dead bone in your wrist. you've already paid for the Dr. with your MSP premiums and the x-ray is $10. seems to me the math isn't that hard. I've been in and out of the dr. and x-ray enough times to know that what you feel and what is really going on often don't jive. take the time I broke my skull or the time I thought I shattered my knee cap ( only 30 stiches and 5 days on crutches). If you work with your hands , whether its manual labour or on the computer you owe to yourself and the wife to make sure you didn't break your scaphoid. it can result in decreased range of motion in the wrist and ongoing and going and going pain.I think that the fear of a buggered wrist should outweigh any fear of the Doc.

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?