POLL: Riding helmetless

Nov. 22, 2005, 6:58 p.m.

Sometimes you make me laugh Corey.

1.) There are no reqirements to wear a helmet on any shore trails as far as I know. Falling on my head and needing some sort of NSSR help would probably be just as dumb as someone riding above their level and needing the same thing while wearing a helmet. Buying a $200 helmet from a shop is rediculous, I am not even sure you thought that through, I certainly know you wouldn't. The media spin is interesting, but generally the media writes whatever the hell they want to spin it or sell it. If I crashed with a helmet, don't kid yourself, It would still be news on how dangerous the sport is.

2) Seriously fucking awesome. You refer to me as being AHEM not bright, and then you spew TOTAL CRAP. Seriously, where did you pull those numbers from, your ass? Are you a doctor? No. Are you a neuro surgeon? No. Have you broken your back? no. So really Making me look like an idiot with fictitious numbers is really cool.

How much money you willing to put down on that bet BTW?

A rider breaking their back and suing the muni, is a much more likely scenario. That was all I was saying. I have heard and seen and know riders that have broken backs. It seems strange to me that there is all this worry about Head trauma, but no real concern about spine protection.

You can break your back without compressing from the head down. Smashing vertibrae is just as easy as smashing and other bone. Falling and landing 50/50 across a log or ladder would do the job nicely. Anyway.

I ADVOCATE HELMETS. I WEAR HELMETS. I ADVOCATE TEACHING KIDS TO WEAR HELMETS.

I am also telling you that if I to the top of Neds and didn't have one…I would probably ride anyway…I am just telling you the truth.

Next time don't make up numbers to try to make fellow riders look bad. If you are going to throw numbers out there…at least back them up with research.

GRRRRRRRR!!!! :lol: :lol:

Tough day at the office Jay? ;)

Nov. 22, 2005, 6:58 p.m.

Theres to much to lose to ride without one.

nuff' said.

Nov. 22, 2005, 7:47 p.m.

If I was shuttling and got to the top I wouldn't ride. Plain and simple. I'd drive down to the bottom, grab a coffee or something, and wait for whomever I was riding with to get to the bottom. No sense in possibly ruining their ride by having to scrape my brains off of the trail. If I was pedaling up, and managed to get to the top without realizing I didn't have my helmet, well I would just turn my stupid ass around and WALK / coast the flat parts back down to the bottom.

Nov. 24, 2005, 1:38 a.m.

I'd say it depends on where I was riding… I'd probably use it as an excuse to buy a new helmet… it's not too far to a bikeshop if you're on Fromme or Seymour

All you need for riding is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.

Nov. 24, 2005, 2:24 a.m.

Personally, I never ride without at least a skid lid, but I wouldn't hesitate in riding without one if I forgot it, I would just tone it down. Honestly, I would probably fall more walking my bike down the trail angry, than I would taking it easy, and still having fun.

Nov. 24, 2005, 3:01 a.m.

we get new riders turning up at Esher Shore without helmets, and being real surprised when we tell them its a legal requirement if they want to ride the trails

"but i don't normally wear one and its been ok elsewhere…"

personally i never go on my bike w/out a helmet. I got knocked over by a car when i was 14 and split my helmet on a kerb edge on the road, i'd be dead without my helmet

and something that really brought it home, from another sport (rollerblading)

my buddy Richard Taylor, a pro skater for Rollerblade Inc. died last year in Wales (UK) whilst street skating without a helmet, his leg buckled and he hit his head on a lampost and died the next day in hospital, hella shock for lot of extreme sports people here in the UK, lots of skaters started wearing helmets since, RIP Richard you are sorely missed buddy!!

MBUK mag here in the UK is running a helmets campaign, there have been a bunch of serious head injuries on UK trails and its causing all kinds of legal problems for land owners

wear your helmets people!!

Rob C

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Nov. 24, 2005, 3:27 a.m.

Did a somersault, rolled, scuffed my helmet, landed on my butt.

Must have worked, cause I got up, and I could still walk, and my brains weren't leaking out my ears.

:D

Nov. 24, 2005, 8:51 a.m.

MBUK mag here in the UK is running a helmets campaign, there have been a bunch of serious head injuries on UK trails and its causing all kinds of legal problems for land owners

wear your helmets people!!

Rob C

I've noticed in DIRT mag one of the guys reviewing bikes doesn't wear a helmet for some of the action shots.

He looks like a tool for doing so, it looks really unprofessional.

Nobody is skilled enough to not wear one.

Nov. 24, 2005, 3:23 p.m.

Personally, I never ride without at least a skid lid, but I wouldn't hesitate in riding without one if I forgot it, I would just tone it down. Honestly, I would probably fall more walking my bike down the trail angry, than I would taking it easy, and still having fun.

All it would take is a broken chain at the wrong time, a stick in the front
spokes (had that happen), wash out the front tire, broken handle bar
(maybe weakened by an earlier crash), maybe even a ladder breaking.

To me my bike doesn't "work" without my helmet. I enjoy being able to
wipe my own ass and blow my own nose.

I feel you can't think about it as "I'll take that chance, it's my life". You
have to think about the people that are stuck caring after you if the unthinkable
happens.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Nov. 24, 2005, 11:15 p.m.

Anyone who doesn't think they need a helmet needs to read the following.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1020411#post1020411

It can happen anywhere, anytime.

Nov. 26, 2005, 12:42 p.m.

When I was a kid, I used to ride without a helmet and one time I smashed my head into the pavement pretty badly. Mind you, the reason my head hit the ground was b/c my arm broke on the weight of my body so I didn't have my arm to hold myself up for the split second and skidded across the pavement on my forehead. Next thing I know I'm in some stranger's house, getting bandaged up, waiting for an ambulance.

Even going down the street, I fear not having a helment.

I take pictures with a camera

Nov. 26, 2005, 10:22 p.m.

I don't feel protected unless I've got a fullface on. These clips serve as good reminders….
http://www.chicagofreeride.com/Video/bikewallsmash.wmv
http://www.chicagofreeride.com/Video/forestcrash.wmv
http://www.chicagofreeride.com/Video/faceplant.wmv

"Just ass kicking that kicks ass that, while said ass is getting kicked, is kicking yet more ass that