Pleasant-ville

Feb. 15, 2015, 12:22 p.m.

Out riding on Fromme this glorious May morning, the trails are awesome, running so well!

Is it just me, or, is everyone being super extra friendly to eachother on the trails these days? I have never stopped to chat with so many hikers, some came over to pet my dog at the trailhead, we stopped to let some kids give my dog a treat.

It is everyone it seems…. hikers, runners and bikers, just being nice and friendly.

I am no psychologist, but, I think everyone using the trails know that we have a really incredible thing going on on the North Shore. Everyone wants to prove that they are "not that person" or "not one of those type of bikers" we read about in the media. Definately seem to want to prove that the "war in the woods" exists in the media and not on the trails.

Love the North Shore, enjoying seeing others enjoying it as well, glad that everyone else seems to be the same!

If the RCMP are still thinking about patroling the trails, come and ride with me next weekend, see how awesome it is out there. Same to the media, I would love to show you the true North Shore.

Feb. 15, 2015, 2:52 p.m.

It's like freaking Woodstock out there!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Feb. 15, 2015, 6:17 p.m.

no anger
no controversy

no ratings, no views……

sad to say, but apparently that's the truth

Feb. 15, 2015, 7:30 p.m.

no anger
no controversy

no ratings, no views……

sad to say, but apparently that's the truth

What's sad about it? Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Feb. 15, 2015, 9:14 p.m.

Not that there are ever any problems on friendly Seymour, today seemed more Kumbaya'ish than normal.

Feb. 15, 2015, 9:24 p.m.

What's sad about it? Sounds pretty awesome to me.

It is awesome.

It's sad that media (mtb and mainstream) have gone out of their way to highlight 2 negative incidents that are so rare and isolated and make it seem like the world (or at least the world as we know it on Fromme) is about to come crashing down. I was having this conversation with someone from Kelowna the other day who was asking me about "the war in the woods". Not that I didn't have my doubts about the media before but it really makes you think about what is actually happening when you read an article. Like when something important is actually happening in the world (ISIS for example) how much do we REALLY know about what's going on, based on what we're told.

Back to Fromme. Awesome day up there today. Lots of sun, lots of happy people, happy bikers, happy trail runners, happy dogs. And trails are pretty fun and pretty dry! With apparently 2 weeks of close to nothing but sun to come? Everyone there is great.

Feb. 15, 2015, 10:19 p.m.

Not that I didn't have my doubts about the media before but it really makes you think about what is actually happening when you read an article.

I lived in Toronto during SARS, watching CNN or any major media you would have thought Toronto was in widespread panic. The US based company I worked for would not let anyone travel to Toronto, they quarantined Toronto staff from visiting any other office. My US peers were legitimately worried about me.

In three weeks I saw one person wearing a facemask on the subway, nobody really cared, life was unchanged. If I dropped you into the city, you would have no clue anything was going on.

My first realization as to how hyperbolic the media is and to check my perception of news stories I see.

Feb. 16, 2015, 12:56 a.m.

Seymour was amazing today! Tons of folks out, cyclists of all types, hikers, runners, dogs. Everyone having a blast. Can't believe it's February.

Feb. 16, 2015, 8:53 a.m.

Not that I didn't have my doubts about the media before but it really makes you think about what is actually happening when you read an article. Like when something important is actually happening in the world (ISIS for example) how much do we REALLY know about what's going on, based on what we're told.

If you've ever had any first person involvement in an event covered by the media, then read the published news story, you would learn not to trust the media to cover the details correctly. They might get the main point correct but as for details…

Feb. 16, 2015, 10:07 a.m.

Craig's right on the money. If you read a media story about something you know intimately you will immediately spot their mistakes and how they sensationalize the story. Everyone has this experience.
Non-sensational stories are boring and do not sell newspapers or TV ads.The audience is addicted to drama! So the media provides drama. A true story never sold a newspaper!
So enjoy the nice weather and riding until the rain comes back and we can get on with the important business of skiing ;)

Feb. 16, 2015, 10:28 a.m.

I didn't get out during the daylight hours this weekend, but I find it's always Pleasantville out on Fromme. Always has been.

Feb. 16, 2015, 11:30 a.m.

We shuttled Seymour yesterday. While we were consuming a beverage at the end of our ride we all commented on how happy go lucky everyone seemed to be. The place was BUSY but everyone was loving it. We attributed to the spring like weather in the middle of Feb.

Feb. 16, 2015, 11:42 a.m.

it might have also been from sudden excessive vitamin D action!
regardless, i feel like being in the trails automatically makes everyone excessively happy…

Feb. 16, 2015, 3:21 p.m.

Well, I tore my derailleur off 20 metres into my first lap on Cypress. Yesterday sucked and all you chirpy do good-ers can get stuffed.

In all seriousness, I thought the same when I rode Fromme mid-week. Everyone was super friendly and pleasant. Good times.

Feb. 17, 2015, 8:05 a.m.

If you've ever had any first person involvement in an event covered by the media, then read the published news story, you would learn not to trust the media to cover the details correctly. They might get the main point correct but as for details…

It is true… In all of this i forgot about the cup riots in 2011… We were downtown and we left before the end of the 2nd period. At that point if you couldn't tell there was going to be a riot you were basically brain dead. But then, it magically just happened out of nowhere at the end of the game, according to the media….