Planning vacation in BC 2020

Nov. 30, 2019, 3:44 a.m.

Hey guys,

I really want to spend some time riding the trails in BC next year. I'm from Switzerland and trying to plan three weeks of vacation for next summer.

The date is not fixed right now, I'm thinking about three weeks in june because I'd like to go before the holiday season in July & August. Flights and hotels are cheaper but it should already be good weather. 

Now I'd appreciate your help doing that. My main problem is I probably have to do that alone since most of my friends can't/won't use three weeks of their vacation time just for biking anymore... 

Because of that I won't be able to get a rental car for the whole time, it's just too expensive alone. I can get one for a few days but that's it. That makes getting around with my bike a bit more complicated.

Places I'd like to ride:

Squamish (been there before, love the slab trails!)

Whistler (park is not a priority, spent a few weeks there some years ago)

Pemberton (I like it steep and loose!)

North shore

I've been in Squamish and Whistler before and it's no problem staying there in a hostel/hotel and just ride to the trail head. So do you guys have any tips for me how to get around, where to go,...

It would also be awesome to do a group ride or something like that!

Nov. 30, 2019, 3:29 p.m.

Hi.

If you rented an air bnb in central Lynn Valley for a few days you wouldn't need a car. Easily Access Seymour and Fromme, which would be multiple days of riding to do before you visit other places. 

We got lucky last year with the forest fires but... If we have a bad summer BC gets pretty socked in with smoke so I would consider coming early summer, just to be sure.

Nov. 30, 2019, 4:22 p.m.

Revelstoke and Nelson.... better than the Sea to Sky overall imo and less attitude.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on Nov. 30, 2019, 4:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 30, 2019, 5:23 p.m.

If you can swing it beginning September be better odds on weather than beginning June. Summer sometimes doesn't happen at all in June.

Invited couple southern buddies to ride Whistler for the first time once beginning of June. 10 degrees and raining. They showed up at the parking lot in shorts and T's. They were not amused with my full rain gear and winter gloves lol.

Nov. 30, 2019, 6:53 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Revelstoke and Nelson.... better than the Sea to Sky overall imo and less attitude.

This. And don’t forget Rossland.

Nov. 30, 2019, 8:05 p.m.

Agree with the tips to go to Nelson and rossland. You could spend one to two weeks easily between both without repeating any trails and you could ride to all of them. Only issue is that it is it is a ways from major cities. 

If staying sea to sky, I believe there is a relatively cheap bus up to whistler. 

Also, September is the greatest mtb month in bc

Nov. 30, 2019, 11:26 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Castlegar > Rossland for 1 day.

Dec. 1, 2019, 2:57 p.m.

My favourite time of the year to ride Whistler is May and June.

I hate dust and extreme heat.

Dec. 1, 2019, 9:22 p.m.

What trail you like that much in Castlegar? Last time I was there they didn't have much. Grandiflorum?

It's pretty hard to beat whiskey on the rocks, crown point and a bunch others. Also, 7 summits is a pretty legendary way to spend a day.

Dec. 2, 2019, 7:11 a.m.

He did say in the OP that he is going solo. Can't really afford a rental car. How would one get to and around the Kootenays since there is no greyhound anymore?

Dec. 2, 2019, 8:59 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

What trail you like that much in Castlegar? Last time I was there they didn't have much. Grandiflorum?

It's pretty hard to beat whiskey on the rocks, crown point and a bunch others. Also, 7 summits is a pretty legendary way to spend a day.

Grandiflorum and The Awakener are amazing trails.  I like the terrain and overall flow better than Rossland.

Dec. 2, 2019, 11:37 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

If you can swing it beginning September be better odds on weather than beginning June. Summer sometimes doesn't happen at all in June.

Invited couple southern buddies to ride Whistler for the first time once beginning of June. 10 degrees and raining. They showed up at the parking lot in shorts and T's. They were not amused with my full rain gear and winter gloves lol.

My problem is I have already planned a 1 week vacation in November and I don't want to use all my vacation days in the second half of the year. Now it's looking like I can go end of June until mid July. I'm from Switzerland, I'm also used to wet riding lol.

I may have talked another friend into coming with me, which means we could get a rental car and have more options. Without I would stay in the sea to sky area. Would still be good, I don't think I would get bored riding there.

How is the riding on Vancouver Island? I was hiking in Nanaimo once and some nice trails. For sure I want to ride the trails in Whistler outside of the park. I heard it's the no flow zone, that would suit my riding style.

Dec. 2, 2019, 11:47 a.m.

If you base yourself in Squamish, where there is probably has the largest network of local trails, there is a bike bus service called Squamish Rides that can take you to Van, Pemby or Whistler daily. Interior is amazing, save that for when your buddies come and then roadtrip it.

Dec. 2, 2019, 12:15 p.m.

Finding another person and then share an RV rental might be a good compromise and allow you more freedom to roam.

Dec. 2, 2019, 7:20 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Grandiflorum and The Awakener are amazing trails.  I like the terrain and overall flow better than Rossland.

Merry Creek has some awesome riding, with Captain Kangaroo, Blood Merry, Crazy Merry.....you just need to love your climb.

As for Koots vs Coast, I've ridden both and I think it comes down to the weather at the time, and how you relate to people. Lots of great folks and douche-bags in both places. Come for a visit to either place with an attitude to make friends and have fun, and you can't go wrong.

I will say this though. Last time I rode in Nelson, I left my wallet on my bumper in the parking lot with all my cards, ID, and a wad of cash. Still there when I got back <3