Pink Starfish

April 3, 2013, 8:28 a.m.

A person that uses the word "gay" as a synonym for "lame" and a reference to taoism in the posts should do some more reading imho. The two do not go very well together.

And those who would use the word "lame" as a synonym for "worthless" or "not good" are insulting the disabled!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 3, 2013, 9:20 a.m.

mr bond said

"In my personal opinion, there isn't a discussion about what character Starfish would be. It would be an old-school, woodwork based, tight, techy and slow trail.

Why you ask? Because that's how it was, because it leads into Boundary for a consistent experience, for the heritage value, because it's in the right location on the mountain for an expert level trail . . .

And because of Jerry Rig. "

the terrain that starfish is on is excellent for any kind of trail you could want the gradient is very consistent and quite gentle. the fact that Jerry Rig is there has nothing to do with the character of starfish.
the character of a trail is decided solely by the person with the shovel.

as for the fact that it leads into boundary is funny. they have no relation to one another.boundary was one of the best trails on that side of the mountain until a person that thought trail building was about building jenky structures and not moving earth turned it into something else.now its now a washed out mess between crappy falling down ladders.

now we bring up heritage.i don't use a buggy whip to make my car faster,i never use an abacus to do my books, i'm definitely not writing this on a typewriter. why you ask. because they are obsolete.if that style of riding was still valid circus, walk in the clouds,gmg,12 bridges and starfish would have never fallen into disrepair.

Thats cool DTG. But just for the unwashed - can you tell us which trails (in a major riding zone) bear the imprint of your vision? I dont want to hear about some here-and-there-stuff (important tho it is)… rather tell us which trail(s)really showcase what you think about traibuilding/riding/north shore etc etc? Please do share!

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

April 3, 2013, 10:33 a.m.

Whatever happened to 38DD and Groovula? It's crazy you city boys haven't built a legit berm jump trail yet…. Whistler is just too close, or what?

I know quite a few murican builders who are still fired up about creative woodwork and the techgnar, and looking for a place to do it legitimately. There would be a solid crew who would make the trip north for a Starfishh resurrection.

Groovula has been built up and then chainsawed at least once since it's glory days. It's too close to hiking trails for any kind of jumps/ gaps or structures to go unnoticed.

April 3, 2013, 11:23 a.m.

mr bond said

"In my personal opinion, there isn't a discussion about what character Starfish would be. It would be an old-school, woodwork based, tight, techy and slow trail.

Why you ask? Because that's how it was, because it leads into Boundary for a consistent experience, for the heritage value, because it's in the right location on the mountain for an expert level trail . . .

the terrain that starfish is on is excellent for any kind of trail you could want the gradient is very consistent and quite gentle. the fact that Jerry Rig is there has nothing to do with the character of starfish.

as for the fact that it leads into boundary is funny. they have no relation to one another.boundary was one of the best trails on that side of the mountain until a person that thought trail building was about building jenky structures and not moving earth turned it into something else.now its now a washed out mess between crappy falling down ladders.

now we bring up heritage.i don't use a buggy whip to make my car faster,i never use an abacus to do my books, i'm definitely not writing this on a typewriter. why you ask. because they are obsolete.if that style of riding was still valid circus, walk in the clouds,gmg,12 bridges and starfish would have never fallen into disrepair.

Boundary is still in great condition as it has ongoing maintenance. It's my favourite trail for riding teh skinnies.

April 3, 2013, 11:34 a.m.

Boundary is still in great condition as it has ongoing maintenance. It's my favourite trail for riding teh skinnies.

But that's impossible! No one likes, or even rides, that syle of trail anymore :rolleyes:

April 3, 2013, 2:08 p.m.

Structures/Skinnies are going the way of the dodo bird for 3 reasons. Land Managers don't like them, nobody maintains them and most people don't want to ride them.

:canada:

April 3, 2013, 2:32 p.m.

Structures/Skinnies are going the way of the dodo bird for 3 reasons……… most people don't want to ride them.

Whaaat! Does that mean that all those "riders" on Ladies actually walk down the first half of the trail to access "the goods"??? Here's me thinking Ladies was one of the more popular Fromme trails…

But Jerry has a point…if the subset of riders who like riding skinnies actually were allowed to build [HTML_REMOVED] maintain them and actually put their shovels to work, we wouldnt be having this conversation

Sent from my XT885 using Tapatalk 2

April 3, 2013, 2:57 p.m.

If no-one wanted to ride wood structures then we wouldn't be having this relentless discussion.

People like riding wood, just look at how popular the Ladies rebuild is. Unfortunately it's hard to tear out a structure and replace it once it's reached the end of its life, and even then there are people who consider riding these structures to be a technical challenge rather than a safety issue.

We'll have the same problem with the woodwork on Ladies in 5 years, particularly that elevated drop. It's too bad we can't just install super-thick rungs and then pop off the top layer when they get a bit slick.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

April 3, 2013, 3:58 p.m.

If no-one wanted to ride wood structures then we wouldn't be having this relentless discussion.

People like riding wood, just look at how popular the Ladies rebuild is. Unfortunately it's hard to tear out a structure and replace it once it's reached the end of its life, and even then there are people who consider riding these structures to be a technical challenge rather than a safety issue.

We'll have the same problem with the woodwork on Ladies in 5 years, particularly that elevated drop. It's too bad we can't just install super-thick rungs and then pop off the top layer when they get a bit slick.

If you can't ride a few "slick rungs" then please go ride burnaby mountain or the sea wall.

Sadly enough the times of dangerous dan and the likes of 10 foot 4" skinnies to terrible transitions is gone, some for the better some not. What we are seeing now is the last remains of how the shore came about. A place where people were scared to ride some days. With the growing sport, more people and now sanctioning bodies that means this type of style is now unsafe or dangerous to the DNV.

What we have now is the nsmba, which is like whistler. Trails for all but none that someone could get seriously hurt on(if an actual good rider). There are some double black diamonds in nsmba's bag of goods but in reality most trails are blue and mayyyybeeeee black.

Case in point, boogieman. Once a knarly double black, only thing on that trail now that is double black is the last rock face section. Progression yes, since long gone is the possibility that someone might actually think about their skill level and relate it to the trail sign and difficulty.

You can't stop a sport from evolving but you sure can bitch about it like woman. Take it with a grain of salt but we are heading into the berm busting shralping GAY time of mountain biking. You know, when a sport get's so popular that people stop giving a fuck about trails and just destroy everything. Don't worry, after all the fan boy tld onezee wearing posers leave the shore will return, maybe not on the north shore but I know a lot of technically badass trails that make the best of today's north shore look like stanley park trails.

Would be interesting to see the stats if at all possible.

Amount of riders vs nsmba members in 2004

amount of riders vs nsmba members in 2012

I bet there was a better ratio in 2002.

Clunking is for retards.

April 3, 2013, 4:17 p.m.

Whaaat! Does that mean that all those "riders" on Ladies actually walk down the first half of the trail to access "the goods"??? Here's me thinking Ladies was one of the more popular Fromme trails…

is it fair to say Ladies is different because the structures are built by Digger and are just that good? What if Digger or Jerry were on deck to build old school wheelie drops and coaster thingers, maybe with transitions on starfish, could please both crowds

This is probably the 4th Thread on Starfish in the last year and half or so, we could probably do some shovel time and put some Rainbow talk to rest

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

April 3, 2013, 4:31 p.m.

If you can't ride a few "slick rungs" then please go ride burnaby mountain or the sea wall.

I wasn't trying to criticize people who like the challenge of riding technical trails, my goal was to point out that these people exist.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

April 3, 2013, 5:04 p.m.

I wasn't trying to criticize people who like the challenge of riding technical trails, my goal was to point out that these people exist.

don't worry he wasn't trying to single you out, his goal was just to be a general asshole to non-wood structure riding weeenies.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 3, 2013, 5:09 p.m.

Random Hero has a point. Back in the day, the trails were way harder. Granted, we were riding shit like this…

Bottomless 2 inches of front travel. Cutting edge v-brakes. Sweet 71 degree head angle. Everything was sketch as hell and at any moment you'd catapult over the front bars.

Boogie would still be terrifying on that rig.

April 3, 2013, 5:44 p.m.

Wood work takes as much time or less to fix than the constant filling in of holes with dirt. Our bikes and rain wash away the dirt causing constant maintenance.

Wood rots. Dirt washes away

Public skills parks have plenty of skinnies and gap jumps. Why. To challenge your self.
Cant we have such stunts on the North Shore trails?
NO!
What is the reputation of the Shore on a global scale? What is a Shore style trail? Generic.Easy.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

April 3, 2013, 6:03 p.m.

mr bond said

DO NOT! bad-mouth one of the best builders on the shore who has devoted countless hours to building Boundary. And who also has refused in the past to take supplies [HTML_REMOVED] funding for the trail. Not to mention all the good baking brought to trail days. The Boundary is still a trail where one can test one's skills. The PS/Boundary run was always awesome back in the day. Also, do not compare Walk in the Clouds, GMG, [HTML_REMOVED] Circus (or even Air Supply) to trails like PS, Digger's, Crippler [HTML_REMOVED] Ladies. I think most would agree that the number of people who would ride the former trails is extremely small, whereas the latter trails have always/will always get a fair amount of traffic.

Thread killer