Physical Assault (or worse) Thwarted Today: Woodlot

Nov. 7, 2012, 8:02 p.m.

Clumsy bastard, he just kept tripping on his own feet while we marched him down the trail.

Kn.

Sounds like the elevator ride to the fourth floor junkies used to make with the VPD @ 222 Main.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 7, 2012, 8:19 p.m.

Making a citizens arrest does not give you an excuse for doing violence.

That's illegal, you could be charged with assault.

Haha! Thats funny……..Hmmmmm…………..who would the judge favor …some dickhead junkie viciously attacking a woman in the woods dragging her by the feet, and stuffing her face into the ground or a clean, law abiding citizen who stepped up to help a victim who was on the road to possibly being murdered…..I'd take an assault charge if it saved someone's life.

"God gave me eyes so I don't ride my bike thru dog poop right dad?" <- my 11 year-old ->

..`Good times come and good times go,
I only wish the good times would last a little longer.."-Mike Ness

Nov. 7, 2012, 10:23 p.m.

if you witness a crime such as the one described you are allowed to use whatever force is appropriate and necessary to detain the suspect .

the cops don't wanna see anyone putting themselves in danger , or exacting a little vigilante justice while the authorities arrive . in this day and age of cell phones and cameras , it would probably be best to follow the perp from a safe distance while communicating with the 911 operator .

and kever , don't be hard on yourself or your buddies . the main thing was they were able to stop the attack and may have well saved the womans' life . that's a worthy and honorable way to spend an afternoon . most of us don't practice or plan our responses to this kind of thing so they did the best they could at the time .

Nov. 8, 2012, 10:14 a.m.

Alright, so trail day/manhunt this weekend? We can bury this guy in the blood donor jump rebuild. He deserves worse but everyone who rides with their dog just make sure that's where doggo takes his poop! More incentive to clear the gap too ;)

Seriously fucked up…. Read the thread and definitely want to give Kever and his friends some praise for what they did! However, as pointed out lots, things could have been done better…. Emotions run incredibly high in these situations and forgetting to call the police is very easy. So is accepting help from a likely official person. I would hope the land owners and police post signs in the area. I'd like to have more information so I can be better prepared for anything related to this incident as I ride/build at the Woodlot frequently.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Nov. 8, 2012, 3:42 p.m.

it was a pretty messed up situation. when the yells turned into help me we had no choice but to go see what it was. dan and I both wanted to run down and beat the guy but we also didnt want our day to be ended with a buck shot. Im pretty sure when he saw the two of us he knew it was over. On my way back home I stopped in at 7/11 for a slurpee and I look to my right and I see this man with the exact same clothing on with muddy shoes at the bank machine. As soon as he took one look at me I could tell he was panicing and just dropped all his food items and left the store staring me down. Only problem i have is i didnt see his face at the time of the attack. If your riding the woodlot just be aware of your surroundings and ride with friends!

JDM POWER!

Nov. 8, 2012, 3:47 p.m.

it was a pretty messed up situation. when the yells turned into help me we had no choice but to go see what it was. dan and I both wanted to run down and beat the guy but we also didnt want our day to be ended with a buck shot. Im pretty sure when he saw the two of us he knew it was over. On my way back home I stopped in at 7/11 for a slurpee and I look to my right and I see this man with the exact same clothing on with muddy shoes at the bank machine. As soon as he took one look at me I could tell he was panicing and just dropped all his food items and left the store staring me down. Only problem i have is i didnt see his face at the time of the attack. If your riding the woodlot just be aware of your surroundings and ride with friends!

you do know that bank machines have cameras and log the identity right? I sure hope by now you have told the police.

Nov. 8, 2012, 4:14 p.m.

ive tried calling the detective just keep getting an answering machine. has not called me back yet

JDM POWER!

Nov. 8, 2012, 4:36 p.m.

Sure hope they catch this piece of shit.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 8, 2012, 7:24 p.m.

hey man, stephane just left you a message, give him a call. we need to get that camera footy from the store!

Nov. 9, 2012, 11:06 a.m.

all 'shoulda' comments aside, good on you guys

any luck figuring who the victim was?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 11, 2012, 3:31 p.m.

Making a citizens arrest does not give you an excuse for doing violence.

That's illegal, you could be charged with assault.

It's amazing how much damage just "defending yourself" from the "very violent guy" that was
trying to kill this person. "I don't know how all that happened officer"…"all I know is
that when I told him to let go of her he attacked us, and I felt like my life was threatened
and I don't remember anything else".

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Nov. 11, 2012, 4:54 p.m.

Good on ya guys!!! Regardless of the report and technicalities, at THAT current time, they pretty well saved her life. Thats pretty awseome in itself, bikers be good people.

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

Nov. 13, 2012, 12:43 p.m.

That is definitely some serious Good Karma! You really saved a woman's life - and hopefully turn the life of the attacker into a nightmare that is never ending.

Posting what should have been done, or who should have been phoned at what time may be helpful, but in such moments you do not really think logically, you act more or less on autopilot and do what you deem right in that moment. And that is not necessarily the "right" decision.

I honestly hope that it turns out the way it seems to be, given the cctv footage is available.

And, yes, be careful in the forests, no matter where on the planet. And do not let careful turn into fear - this is not the right thing to do.

If you need preparation for a case you hope never happens, train for circumstances that may force you to use force to either save a total stranger or a loved one.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 24, 2012, 12:21 a.m.

Probably best you guys didnt jump the guy, creepy sleeze bag bully guys like that dont fight fair and a huge blade was probably in his pocket. Could have beed 2 dead guys added to the day…

Hope the girl comes to her senses and files a report at least to help ensure He does`nt get away with attacking another.

I have an uncle that punched a guy for beating his girl friend in public and wound up getting charged for assault when she turned on him saying he started it, messed up…

If the violence has stopped, sometimes it`s best to observe and report everything.

Let the guys with guns and tazers have the fun with the take down :greedy:

Live to ride another day, Keep it safe :]

Nov. 24, 2012, 1 p.m.

I say we get a length of rope, form a NSMB lynch mob and ride out and find that fucker!

We don't need this kinda' shit happening where we ride our bikes, if Monica finds out she'll start screaming that mtn. biking leads to rape!

Seriously though…..

Kever, hindsight being 20/20, sure there's lots of shit that coulda'/shoulda' been done, but given the callousness which people treat each other these days you guys fundamentally did the right thing.

As syncro pointed out again, tracking down that forestry peep is one of the keys if this thing is ever gonna' be resolved.

schoenrock - Vancouver buses all have cameras, but only a few suburban coaches are so equipped. If she did ride a bus with a camera though the images could still be there as the memory cards take up to 4 days to fill on buses running long daily schedules and up to 7 days if it's a bus used for short daily trippers.

So they could check, if they can find this woman soon enough.

inshane - those memory cards on Coast Mtn. coaches are a valued resource for the VPD who've solved many, many crimes poring over those captured images.

Holy shit. We actually have a coherent post by Tungsten without a shred of copy-paste or tinfoil hat YouTube videos.

I've got some rope in the truck.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.