Pedalling from Lonsdale to No Quarter

Sept. 3, 2016, 6:13 a.m.

We're in a new place around Lonsdale and 20th and I'm trying to figure out the best route to Fromme pedalling from the house.

Online it looked like 29th to the power lines to Princess park was a good route so I tried yesterday but I think it can be improved upon.

Crossed the #1 at Lonsdale and traverse/climb up to 29th then head east. Up the huge hill then back down the other side until you hit the power line trail up to PP.

Problem with this route obviously is the steep climb to steep descent on 29th. I realize I could climb straight up Lonsdale and cross Braemar to the trailhead but want to stay off the busy roads and prefer to ride dirt over pavement.

Can anyone suggest a better route?

Sept. 3, 2016, 6:47 a.m.

Hang a right on Tempe crescent near the base of the 29th climb . . . Takes you all the way around to the other side of the hill .

Sept. 3, 2016, 8:37 a.m.

Cross 23d and go through Greenwood Park. Drop under the highway at Lynn Valley Rd, go left through that neighbourhood up the trail on the dirt embankment. Make your way through the school yard to the power line and over to William and another School yard. I forget the names of the schools or follow up that power line to Princess Park and beyond.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 3, 2016, 12:53 p.m.

Hang a right on Tempe crescent near the base of the 29th climb . . . Takes you all the way around to the other side of the hill .

That's the snow route for buses.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 3, 2016, 1:14 p.m.

Great I'll try one of these tonight.

Only thing worse than the fromme climber is the fromme climber with 25 mins of climbing before you start!

Sept. 3, 2016, 9:36 p.m.

Cross #1 on Lonsdale then east on 25th. There is a path along the highway that connects the dead end of 25th to Tempe Glen. Hang a right on Tempe Knoll then a quick left on 26th Crescent. Cross through the back of the school and across 29th under the power lines and follow the trail up Princess Park.

That will be the least extra climbing to get to Fromme.

Sept. 3, 2016, 10:30 p.m.

Cross 23d and go through Greenwood Park. Drop under the highway at Lynn Valley Rd, go left through that neighbourhood up the trail on the dirt embankment. Make your way through the school yard to the power line and over to William and another School yard. I forget the names of the schools or follow up that power line to Princess Park and beyond.

School above Greenwood Park is Queensbury, the other one at Tempe Heights is Boundary. Once you go through Boundary it puts you onto the Power Lines at 29th just above Williams, from there, you go through Princess Park and back onto the Power Lines until you hit Braemar. Good little route, although it is longer than riding the pavement.

Sept. 6, 2016, 7:38 a.m.

Cross #1 on Lonsdale then east on 25th. There is a path along the highway that connects the dead end of 25th to Tempe Glen. Hang a right on Tempe Knoll then a quick left on 26th Crescent. Cross through the back of the school and across 29th under the power lines and follow the trail up Princess Park.

this. My route when I used to live in the area

Sept. 6, 2016, 8:32 a.m.

Just get your mom to drop you off.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Sept. 6, 2016, 9:06 a.m.

Cross Highway 1 like Shirk say but when I lived at St.George and 26th for a couple years I found that climbing St.George to the top and then cutting over to St. Mary's is an easier climb. I would return home by riding out through Princess Park to Ecole Boundary School to the trail along the highway.

To get to the water towers I would take Tempe to Princess Ave. then climb Princess ave to Braemar. Then go up Dempsey Trail to BP and across to the tower.

Sept. 6, 2016, 9:33 a.m.

Props for the manly man route straight over 29th. :|
I used to have nightmares about riding my bike over that hill.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Sept. 6, 2016, 10:39 a.m.

The first Fromme ride I dragged the wife on was from Keith and Lonsdale up to 29th and across 29th over to the gate. I don't think we even rode Fromme trails, chosing Princess park DH instead.

She didn't want to ride mtb for a few years after that.

Sept. 6, 2016, 12:06 p.m.

I'm often impressed when I look at Strava "flybys" and see the distances that some people pedal before even getting to the trails.

Sept. 8, 2016, 10:08 p.m.

Tried this one tonight, except took Tempe Glen across 29th then up Royal into Princess park. Huge improvement, took almost 10 mins off the trip. Cheers