Pedal up Seymour?

Oct. 18, 2011, 9:17 a.m.

I'm new to Vancouver and have only been riding Fromme since I've got here, mainly because I ride solo and therefore have to pedal up to the top of the trails. Is Seymour as 'pedal friendly' as Fromme is? or is it basically a shuttle only mountain? I have the trail guide book and it looks like Old Buck would be the main climbing trail. Is Old Buck mellow enough to pedal up (like the road up Fromme) or am I going to have to push up most of the way?

Oct. 18, 2011, 9:25 a.m.

old buck can definitely be pedaled but it's steeper than the fromme fsr. give it a shot

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 18, 2011, 9:42 a.m.

old buck to baden powell is more pedalable… the grade after the oldbuck/BP junction pisses me off.

Oct. 18, 2011, 10:14 a.m.

The paved Mt Seymour Road is the least demanding route up (only if you are going any higher than Boogieman, otherwise Old Buck). The road is pretty good since most cars can pass you in the double lane. CBC is about 9 km up along the road and 900 m above sea level. You will be an anaerobic junkie in no time if you pedal up to CBC regularly.

Oct. 18, 2011, 10:42 a.m.

Seymour is definateley pedalable, not nearly as easy as fromme though. Once you get to know the trails there's a few different routes to take up. Happy Exploring!

:damn:

Oct. 18, 2011, 10:48 a.m.

Do it today, could be the last nice day in a looooooooong time.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Oct. 18, 2011, 11:24 a.m.

Indian River Road -[HTML_REMOVED] BP -[HTML_REMOVED] Mushroom / Incline

It would be great if the Parks people would allow uphill bike traffic on the Upper Old Buck although I don't think CBC is worth the climb.

Oct. 18, 2011, 11:40 a.m.

Just did Old Buck / Baden Powell / Dales / Powerlines / Baden Powell / C-Buster / Back to Old Buck. Tough climbs in there if you're on anything heavier than a 32lb AM bike.

Old buck to BP to get to Pangor or Boogieman is a fairly demanding climb at times. I bet lots of people are pushing a few sections.

That being said, it's all climbable.

Oct. 18, 2011, 11:43 a.m.

Indian River Road -[HTML_REMOVED] BP -[HTML_REMOVED] Mushroom / Incline

It would be great if the Parks people would allow uphill bike traffic on the Upper Old Buck although I don't think CBC is worth the climb.

This.

Oct. 18, 2011, 11:59 a.m.

Single ring with flat pedals can be a bit of a bear on the Old Buck climb, but lots of people do it. I usually end up pushing my FR bike up the last section before the BP intersection as I don't like to blow up before the descent.

flickr

Oct. 18, 2011, 12:12 p.m.

Sounds like I'll be sticking to Fromme for the most part! I'm not in the greatest shape, and I have some pretty chunky tires (2.35 rear/2.5 front nevegals) on AM bike so I think I would end up pushing up most of the way unfortunately.

Oct. 18, 2011, 12:25 p.m.

Up to Pangor/Boogie/Severed is all doable on that set up ^^

don't give up on the idea. Climbing Seymour is rather satisfying.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Oct. 18, 2011, 12:29 p.m.

Ride up the road with your thumb out. Works for me.

My Team From San Luis Obispo, CA
SLOtothebone.wordpress.com

My Dirtbag Team in BC
The B-Team

B-Team :heart:'s You

Oct. 18, 2011, 12:37 p.m.

I used to ride Old Buck on my VP Free with DH tires. It was a dog uphill but I could do it, most of the time. Back when I wasn't chubby and was racing XC a lot I could middle ring Old Buck on my XC bike.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 18, 2011, 12:59 p.m.

How are you gonna get in better shape if you don't barf up a lung once in a while? ;)

Climbing Seymour is can make for some pretty epic loops. Old Buck/Baden/Mushroom is more of a grunt than Fromme but it's more satisfying and a nicer experience all around. No cars to watch your back for or stench of burning brake pads either. You can start out on Bridal to stretch it out even more.

33lbs with 2.5/2.4 and 32x36 is pedal-able the whole way, if you've got a granny you're laughing. Still, there's no shame in hiking some of you want to take it easy or save your strength.