Pay parking on fromme

April 19, 2016, 7:17 a.m.

who cares about other user groups, the thing you should get back to is why pay parking here when users of other publicly funded rec facilities don't have to pay for parking? You have a user created trail system, that's now built, maintained and funded by a community group and local businesses (NSMBA/TAP). They (DNV) built a parking lot that arguably many didn't want, but now claim they have to charge that same group to recover costs of the lot and managing the lot, and maybe some of the money will go back to the trails that are already maintained by another party? Colour me skeptical on that last part….

April 19, 2016, 7:55 a.m.

some good points flip. but they're not intending to charge for use of the trails - just the lot. pay for the added convenience of parking a bit higher up - or don't; park on the road, climb up as we've beep doing for years and ride for free. it's a bit of a two tiered setup but I'm having a hard time getting worked up about about it. again, there is no such thing as free parking, why shouldn't the user pay? I doubt it will keep anyone from going for a ride

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 19, 2016, 8:34 a.m.

some good points flip. but they're not intending to charge for use of the trails - just the lot. pay for the added convenience of parking a bit higher up - or don't; park on the road, climb up as we've beep doing for years and ride for free. it's a bit of a two tiered setup but I'm having a hard time getting worked up about about it. again, there is no such thing as free parking, why shouldn't the user pay? I doubt it will keep anyone from going for a ride

My thoughts exactly. I support the user pay concept, but I also live close enough to ride up the hill from home. The climb up King of the Shore is great. Most riders can park lower down and ride up if they really don't want to pay. This is more difficult for hikers/dog walkers etc, so they will likely end up being the main user groups that use a pay lot.

April 19, 2016, 8:43 a.m.

who cares about other user groups, the thing you should get back to is why pay parking here when users of other publicly funded rec facilities don't have to pay for parking? You have a user created trail system, that's now built, maintained and funded by a community group and local businesses (NSMBA/TAP). They (DNV) built a parking lot that arguably many didn't want, but now claim they have to charge that same group to recover costs of the lot and managing the lot, and maybe some of the money will go back to the trails that are already maintained by another party? Colour me skeptical on that last part….

Good point,

Looks like we will be back to where we started. Parking lower down will pack the streets once again.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

April 19, 2016, 9:09 a.m.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be pay parking there. But if money is so tight everywhere, why single out one user group in one location?

and also, wasn't there the insinuation that 'profit' will go back into the trails? maybe I misread

April 19, 2016, 10:30 a.m.

Personally I think this plan will die in political purgatory. Like the bc parks pay system did.

I dunno, bc parks had no way of collecting fines whereas dnv sticks it on your icbc account with penalties.

Also, screwing over people who drive (ie all of us) is pretty popular these days.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 19, 2016, 11:14 a.m.

Why are so many people down on the hikers/walkers using Fromme? Does every hike need some epic view? What's wrong with just wondering around in the forest for awhile?

Lazy fatasses like me that want to use the lot to cut out a bit of road climbing. Actually, since it's gotten so busy on weekends I don't bother going up to the lot since the idea of idling a car in a queue to park in the forest is insane.

April 19, 2016, 12:55 p.m.

Exactly if pay parking here then pay parking on all field and park lots or nothing that the only equitable way to do it. on another other note scummy municipal politicians most likely wouldn't need the funds if they actually charged developers for the infrastructure their developments needed.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

April 19, 2016, 1:17 p.m.

Apparently it's not the only park that is part of a pilot program for pay parking.

April 19, 2016, 1:37 p.m.

Seems a bit backwards when BC parks went free parking 5 years ago. If I recall correctly, the overhead to collect and ticket was more than the revenue?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/parking-now-free-in-b-c-parks-1.1109481

Goes against the grain with this as well:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/park-passes-free-canada-150-1.3389451

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

April 19, 2016, 2:50 p.m.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be pay parking there. But if money is so tight everywhere, why single out one user group in one location?

good point. i hadn't noticed that this lot was being singled out. agreed, parking facilities at all such amenities should charge - or none of them

the idea of idling a car in a queue to park in the forest is insane.

so hot right now though!

Seems a bit backwards

welcome to the dnv…

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 20, 2016, 9:58 p.m.

Lazy fatasses like me that want to use the lot to cut out a bit of road climbing. Actually, since it's gotten so busy on weekends I don't bother going up to the lot since the idea of idling a car in a queue to park in the forest is insane.

There are much better options than riding up the road. The climb from Mountain View park is all single track. Takes me less than 15 minutes to the upper gate. Or No Quarter if you want a challenge. There really isn't much of a reason for able bodied cyclists to drive up to the parking lot, unless you are dropping off a kid.

April 21, 2016, 9:35 a.m.

Lots of cyclists that aren't super quick or fit to pedal up the climbers; the parking lot is a welcome addition for these riders.

As a few have mentioned, it's a double standard to be charging for parking there but not at other outdoor parks. No pay parking at Lynn Headwaters, Cap watershed, Old Buck, etc.

I also find it insulting if someone is buying a NSMBA membership, a Trail Pass, attending Fivers, and even volunteering hours to maintain trails, that they have to pay for parking.

April 21, 2016, 9:54 a.m.

Lots of cyclists that aren't super quick or fit to pedal up the climbers; the parking lot is a welcome addition for these riders.

As a few have mentioned, it's a double standard to be charging for parking there but not at other outdoor parks. No pay parking at Lynn Headwaters, Cap watershed, Old Buck, etc.

I also find it insulting if someone is buying a NSMBA membership, a Trail Pass, attending Fivers, and even volunteering hours to maintain trails, that they have to pay for parking.

Isn't Lynn headwaters, and cap watershed both Metro Vancouver?
And old buck lot is BC parks?

The local "parks" and outdoor places we use are under a few different jurisdictions and funding sources.

I use the Fromme parking when I take my dog or kids riding.

I support a user pay system for this new lot , not only did I personally see it unnesscesary , we lost bike trails to build it …
Further with the lot having been built by North Van district , that means that my district tax dollars were used .
Not Provincial funds, and so why cant we recoup costs for a lot used by more than just north Van tax payers?

The soccer fields and ball fields use is supported by sports groups and and our local district , and city for our use it is not apples to apples comparison as technically the fields around North Vancouver are closed to use unless you are part of the sanctioned activity that is permitted to use , or as I have done in the past apply to the district for a permit to use as a group .

April 21, 2016, 10:37 a.m.

yeah this is true, but what are they doing once they leave the lot? unless peole are shuttling they have to pedal up in order to ride down.

the biggest shame of all this is Knnn's trail getting the chop. trading 15 min of walking or riding up a hill for hundreds of voluteer hours so people can go exercise by hiking or pedaling up a trail is just fucking dumb.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer