Pay parking on fromme

April 18, 2016, 10:14 a.m.

(why, why, why hike Fromme?! must be the worst "hike" on the NS).

fromme is like the north shore's version of democracy for hikers. it's a terrible hiking option… except when compared with all of the other popular hiking options (quarry rock, the grouse grind, etc.) - at which point it becomes obvious that it is the best hiking option (because convenient parking)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 18, 2016, 10:23 a.m.

I think pay parking is necessary up there to control the number of cars. If this means mountain bikers park lower to allow more hikers/dog walkers access then that's what's going to happen.

I still think plenty of mountain bikers, especially those with kids, will continue to park up there.

The lot will still get full.

It would be unfortunate if the lower trails get inundated by hikers/dog walkers though and mountain bikers lose those trails to other groups. But alas, change is inevitable.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

April 18, 2016, 11:13 a.m.

fromme is like the north shore's version of democracy for hikers. it's a terrible hiking option… except when compared with all of the other popular hiking options (quarry rock, the grouse grind, etc.) - at which point it becomes obvious that it is the best hiking option (because convenient parking)

Top of Seymour and top of Cypress also have convenient parking with far better hikes.

April 18, 2016, 11:27 a.m.

Top of Seymour and top of Cypress also have convenient parking with far better hikes.

Which is why all the hikers have become bored with them. With the convenient parking Fromme is now become "fresh meat".

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 18, 2016, 11:27 a.m.

I've started parking on the road again at weekends. Fromme has now become MUCH more popular with dog walkers and hikers (why, why, why hike Fromme?! must be the worst "hike" on the NS).

Paid parking gets my vote. Hopefully then families will be able to find a parking spot there.

Ya it is a crappy hike area. Under the tree canopy it's a dead zone. Lynn headwaters is way better for trail quality and views etc. Fromme pretty much has zero view points and the Baden has to be in some of the worst shape I have seen in a long time.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

April 18, 2016, 12:34 p.m.

There should be a validation feature where NSMBA members park for free.

April 18, 2016, 2:04 p.m.

YESSSSSS!!!!

April 18, 2016, 3:19 p.m.

Hah, that would be awesome.

Agree that is very puzzling why so many hikers/dog walkers are there. Where are they going? The ancient cedar trail is fun once but again no views until the waterfall at the end. I see these folks wandering up and down mountain highway and sometimes on the MTB trails. It has to be the free/easy access parking that is drawing them in.

April 18, 2016, 3:29 p.m.

Why are so many people down on the hikers/walkers using Fromme? Does every hike need some epic view? What's wrong with just wondering around in the forest for awhile?

April 18, 2016, 3:44 p.m.

Why are so many people down on the hikers/walkers using Fromme? Does every hike need some epic view? What's wrong with just wondering around in the forest for awhile?

no kidding, I walk in the forest without a view all the time.

April 18, 2016, 3:56 p.m.

I hike Fromme to find new to me trails that I don't notice when on the bike. :P

April 18, 2016, 4:07 p.m.

Was sitting at the top of 7th with the usual weekend crowd when 3 old guys walked out the entrance. Totally oblivious to the fact that they almost got into a tangle with a very nervous girl who had just worked up the guts to roll in. She luckily was able to jump off her bike before the point of total commitment.

April 18, 2016, 5:13 p.m.

Maybe all the hikers are headed into the woods to watch y'all shred up on Fromme?

You heard it here first, bleachers beside the gnar is next!

April 18, 2016, 6:06 p.m.

I hiked a bunch of bike trails when I had a bad shoulder to check out some new stuff before. But the trails in Whistler are super quiet and of course I am conscious of bikers!

Pay parking would stink for anyone who rides there often but I guess there was no lot not too long ago so the old way of parking further away still stands. For me I would be happy to pay a few bucks as I ride fromme roughly 0.5 times a year.

April 18, 2016, 11:26 p.m.

Totally.