Pay parking on fromme

April 16, 2016, 11:27 p.m.

Hard to argue with the numbers. I hope they factor in how many bikers will go back to parking on the street.

http://app.dnv.org/OpenDocument/Default.aspx?docNum=2800377

April 17, 2016, 2:29 a.m.

Very reasonable.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 17, 2016, 8:11 a.m.

I live right beside inter rivers park , there is approx 30 cap college students parking in there every day. The parking lot at the gate of the demo forest above the cemetary is FULL almost everyday with cap students parking there to avoid paying at the empty parking lot at cap. They park all through my neighbourhood as well. I'm for pay parking so park users can actually park. Cap students always leaving garbage on the ground by their cars, parking where should not be and clogging my my neighbourhood when is their is empty parking lot at cap. Very annoying.

I would pay for fromme parking if it went to support the fromme trails..but not keen if it just goes in general revenue..

Also i would like to access tp premier st off of Premier st closed. Premier st is 40KM zone that is packed with cars on both sides, tons of kids around and condos taking over adding more volume. Everyday there is stream of dog walking soccer moms, baseball and soccer yahoos driving way to fast down our street. Somebody is going to killed one of these days. There is a massive entrance by the horse stables to inter rivers park that is barely used that should be the only entrance.

April 17, 2016, 8:26 a.m.

Pay parking as a revenue generator works, but if they want to limit parking in that area to park users, the better way to do it is to put time limits on the parking and enforce it like crazy. They could solve the problem in your neighborhood too GTDad.

Residents can get permits for their immediate area so they dont get dinged.

April 17, 2016, 8:32 a.m.

It just stinks that the report only covers 2 issues. Paid parking on fromme and spending millions on soccer fields at interriver. I'm pretty sure they figure fromme will pay for the soccer fields while it remains free to park at interriver. If their numbers are correct then I assume that if you extrapolate that to interriver that you would generate twice the income from those lots. Interriver could pay for itself. If the fromme lot really is going to generate that much income then I think the dnv should increase their transfer payment to the nsmba so we know the money goes back to the trails and not to pay for soccer and baseball fields.

Personally I think this plan will die in political purgatory. Like the bc parks pay system did.

April 17, 2016, 8:32 a.m.

There is no way they will use the money from parking at fromme for trail maintenance. They plan on using it for "trail access"…IE the parking lot itself.

April 17, 2016, 8:39 a.m.

As a resident, it would be great if there was equal treatment. If this happens, I want pay parking enforced at Kilmer Park as well.

Aside from my own personal feelings about the parking lot (riding by it and seeing 7 - 8 cars sitting and idling on the hill waiting for a spot doesn't exactly scream environmental care to me) you can't argue it doesn't get used.

April 17, 2016, 9:32 a.m.

Guess Ill be parking on the street again!

April 17, 2016, 1:39 p.m.

Guess Ill be parking on the street again!

Me too.

Thread killer

April 18, 2016, 7:06 a.m.

i'm ok with pay parking just to (hopefully) free up a bit of space. was up both sat [HTML_REMOVED] sun this w/e and the lot was full with idling cues both times. ended up parking at coleman - which i'm fine with most of the time. just had a kid in tow yesterday; not having to drag the wee ones up mt hwy has been a nice convenience. place is now slammed on a nice day.

April 18, 2016, 7:16 a.m.

I don't know if I forgot to hit post. I thought I already put this up. It looks like it's on the agenda tonight at council. Cate park and Deep Cove are part of the conversation also.

http://app.dnv.org/OpenDocument/Default.aspx?docNum=2864480

April 18, 2016, 7:16 a.m.

there's no such thing as free parking; an amenity like this should be paid for by its users, imo

i think i'll be happy to pay when i'm feeling lazy or riding with the kid(s), and be glad for the higher likelihood of finding a spot

otherwise, my cheapskatedness will probably push me to ride up the climb from dempsey or end of the line more, which isn't a bad thing

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 18, 2016, 9:36 a.m.

I've started parking on the road again at weekends. Fromme has now become MUCH more popular with dog walkers and hikers (why, why, why hike Fromme?! must be the worst "hike" on the NS).

Paid parking gets my vote. Hopefully then families will be able to find a parking spot there.

April 18, 2016, 9:37 a.m.

there's no such thing as free parking; an amenity like this should be paid for by its users, imo

i think i'll be happy to pay when i'm feeling lazy or riding with the kid(s), and be glad for the higher likelihood of finding a spot

otherwise, my cheapskatedness will probably push me to ride up the climb from dempsey or end of the line more, which isn't a bad thing

I for one can't wait until my fully autonomous car just drops me off at the top of the mountain and then runs around making me money doing Uber pick ups before Leeroy (yes I will name my car Leeroy) comes back and picks me up at the bottom of the mountain and takes me home. Parking will be a thing of the past as we use our autonomous cars to do shuttle drops. ;););)

April 18, 2016, 9:53 a.m.

I for one can't wait until my fully autonomous car just drops me off at the top of the mountain and then runs around making me money doing Uber pick ups before Leeroy (yes I will name my car Leeroy) comes back and picks me up at the bottom of the mountain and takes me home. Parking will be a thing of the past as we use our autonomous cars to do shuttle drops. ;););)

:dizzy: