Parks Canada mtb survey

Dec. 16, 2010, 12:23 p.m.

I haven't been to a national park in a long time, definitely a little more reason if they have some decent mtb to rip. Funny that I told them to leave the jumps and bridges out too.

Surveyed.

Me too, at least the bridges/drops.

I've never been to a national park for cycling, and didn't know the opportunity is there. It looks like they're all in the rockies? Anything closer?

Bicycles!

Dec. 16, 2010, 12:36 p.m.

There is plenty of room in the parks for Alpine and DH/FR.

I moved from the Kootney Park area. The trails are mostly untechnical boring trails. They need some good DH and Freeride.

Dec. 16, 2010, 1:01 p.m.

So are you guys saying they should only serve a small niche of epic alpine riders? Is that what a beginner rider is going to do?

Dec. 16, 2010, 1:03 p.m.

So are you guys saying they should only serve a small niche of epic alpine riders? Is that what a beginner rider is going to do?

epic alpine is what would get me in the car to drive across bc.

If they want to put in DH/FR trails, why wouldn't the Rockies ski resorts (Lake Louise etc) open up lift access?

I can't see DH gnar/Freeride stunts happening in the backcountry in National Parks.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Dec. 16, 2010, 1:06 p.m.

If you think XC riders are are a small niche….you are mistaken. Maybe a small niche of the sampling you have access too…but worldwide XC kicks FR/DH ass in number of riders. But I asked for an equal number of beginner/xc/fr/dh trails…but when asked what I would like to see more of…I told the truth..I want more long alpine rides.

Dec. 16, 2010, 1:12 p.m.

epic alpine is what would get me in the car to drive across bc.

If they want to put in DH/FR trails, why wouldn't the Rockies ski resorts (Lake Louise etc) open up lift access?

I can't see DH gnar/Freeride stunts happening in the backcountry in National Parks.

Thats my view of it as well…I believe the province would gain the most by adding more epic singletrack, alpine or not. We have the best DH and freeride around….let's add to that and get some more killer XC/AM while we are at it…a one stop shop for MTB.

Dec. 16, 2010, 1:27 p.m.

I like how you jump to assumptions….we aren't saying that at all, just that dh/fr really doesn't have a place in national parks. Trails in NP's are about getting people out to appreciate the reasons the area was protected (epic views, setting, environment), not getting your rad huck on.

Dec. 16, 2010, 1:43 p.m.

Man, I get the tingles just thinking about the kind of riding that could be had in some of the National Parks. Truly epic rides with views that are absolutely breathtaking. That survey made me really excited about the future possibilities for biking in our parks. It is great to see that mountain biking is increasingly seen as a mainstream activity that is legitimate and a big part of being Canadian!!

Dec. 16, 2010, 1:54 p.m.

just to be clear

Epic riders are a small niche of the XC market.

the National parks are huge, and have lots of space for all types of trails.

The ski hills in the parks are in growth lock due to the Fed. That why RCR off loaded Lake Louise. Plus they don't want to spend money on the trails because they don't understand the bike market and how to make money from it.

Their slow killing of Fernie Bike park is a good example.

Dec. 16, 2010, 2:46 p.m.

The ski hills in the parks are in growth lock due to the Fed. That why RCR off loaded Lake Louise.

I didn't know the Royal Canadian Regiment was the owner of Lake Louise.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 16, 2010, 2:48 p.m.

I didn't know the Royal Canadian Regiment was the owner of Lake Louise.

I was waiting for that!

Dec. 16, 2010, 2:51 p.m.

I hate you guys !

Dec. 16, 2010, 2:53 p.m.

yeah, parks shouldn't be about dh/freeride stuff imo….

The only place that stuff should be in any capacity allowed would be at any ski locations in the park. Like at Lake Louise ski area but only within the confines of that.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 16, 2010, 2:54 p.m.

I hate you guys !

I can live with that.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 16, 2010, 2:54 p.m.

sweet. prizes :D
(and potential for more trails)