Parkgate Bro-fest coming to an end

May 31, 2021, 9:24 p.m.

Yeah covid has definitely exacerbated the situation so I wonder might they hold off and see if things settle down once people start going to the Canucks and Cancun again? Will there be a lot of people who got into the sport during covid abandon it in the return to normal? Will there be a buyer's second-hand market in 2022? Also with the bike park open now maybe the bro fest will be reduced. 

Parkgate Park is the best option and there is also the Library lot. Does make me wonder how all in municipalities might go with making lots akin to Whistler now that biking is the new golf. The Fromme lot has become hugely popular and it's super convenient for families with groms. The 2007 management plan called for the tennis courts on Breamer to be turned into a lot, could that happen? Could they decide to enlarge the old buck parking lot? How much/far do they invest in lots for recreation? In Squamish Perth drive became a gong show but the redirection of people to the elementary school seems to have helped a lot. Blueridge Elementary wouldn't really work as effectively for the people living on Hyannis, I feel for them.

All I know is I like to get a toasted ham and cheese in the Safeway deli post ride so I'm wondering if I should leave a note on my car to that effect 🤔

June 1, 2021, 8:14 a.m.

Whistler opened today so I bet that will see a notable drop in shuttle traffic moving forward.

June 1, 2021, 8:25 a.m.

Fuck, maybe just buy something while you’re using the customer parking?

June 1, 2021, 8:30 a.m.

Beer store gets lots of business from bikers.

June 1, 2021, 8:55 a.m.

I had no idea this was new, I remember them enforcing this a good ten years ago and haven't parked there since.

Covid seems like a very poor catch all excuse to park. Surely the opposite is true? There's a pandemic so GTF away from everyone in a busy plaza unless you need to be there.

June 1, 2021, 9:30 a.m.

BC Parks should open the old parking area at the corner of Mt. Seymour Rd and Indian River as overflow for Old Buck.  With some improvements, that could hold most of the traffic that currently goes to Parkgate.

June 1, 2021, 10:11 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Is this something that the NSBMA deals with? I always thought that the parking lots of local schools would be a good option as they are rarely used on the weekends, which is also when you get the most mountain biker traffic.

Not directly. Your direct feedback to the landmanagers is key input.

https://nsmba.ca/contact-us/

Providing Feedback
To ensure your voice is heard, please take a moment to send an email to show your support on the great trail network that we have access. If you have feedback about a specific trail, please find the appropriate land manager by checking the maps below. Feedback to land managers can be sent to:
Metro Vancouver – [email protected]
District of North Vancouver – [email protected] & [email protected]
Report a problem or make a suggestion to the District of North Vancouver
Recreation Sites and Trails BC/CMHC
BC Parks 

Please cc [email protected] on any emails sent to Land Managers so that we can follow up if necessary.

Last edited by: heckler on June 1, 2021, 10:12 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Posted by: PaulB

BC Parks should open the old parking area at the corner of Mt. Seymour Rd and Indian River as overflow for Old Buck.  With some improvements, that could hold most of the traffic that currently goes to Parkgate.

yes, they should.  See above.

Posted by: PaulB

I have always wondered why that was closed off.  Still don't know the answer.

June 1, 2021, 10:13 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

I have always wondered why that was closed off.  Still don't know the answer.

I'm gonna go with limited Parks budgets vs supply/demand.

June 1, 2021, 10:22 a.m.

BC Parks should finish building the Mile Zero lot at IRR/Seymour. 

But they won't, because a couple of key DNV people freaked out about it.

June 1, 2021, 10:45 a.m.

What bugs me is that the 'limited budget' argument falls flat. There was already a parking area there, nice and flat, with safe entry and exit. Budget to maintain should have been pretty close to zero.

Probably cost more to buy and throw up the Jersey barriers to close it than like 4 years of maintenance on that space.

June 1, 2021, 11:15 a.m.

Ok , I’m wrong about budget then. Ask the land managers directly...

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021ENV0027-000723

June 1, 2021, 11:17 a.m.

Besides, Whistler is open!!!!

June 1, 2021, 11:46 a.m.

Burgers and Beers at the Bottom.

Seriously someone should open a Craft Brewery there.