Parkgate Bro-fest coming to an end

May 29, 2021, 2:01 p.m.

It looks like the businesses and owners at Parkgate have had enough of mtb'ers using their lot to park while they ride and for post ride hang-outs. They're going to start towing fairly soon so people will need to find a different place to park. TBH I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner, especially considering what the lot can be like on a sunny weekend.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Last edited by: syncro on May 29, 2021, 2:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 29, 2021, 4:39 p.m.

This’ll be interesting.  How do they distinguish between Bro-shuttlers and people with bike racks shopping?

May 29, 2021, 5:03 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

This’ll be interesting.  How do they distinguish between Bro-shuttlers and people with bike racks shopping?

At some store lots they have security guards roaming around actually looking at where people go and whether they go into the store. Wonder if that's what will happen here?

May 29, 2021, 9:30 p.m.

Awesome. Way to go bros. Could have been a nice thing, easy parking, go for a ride, grab a snack.

But you had to be sooo awesoooooooome about it.

This is EXACTLY why we cannot have nice things.

May 29, 2021, 11:14 p.m.

The real answer to all this is 7am rides. Avoid the traffic, avoid the parking issues, avoid the crowded trailheads, avoid the bros, ez.

May 30, 2021, 7:18 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

The real answer to all this is 7am rides. Avoid the traffic, avoid the parking issues, avoid the crowded trailheads, avoid the bros, ez.

#ridefromhome

May 30, 2021, 7:23 a.m.

WBP opens tomorrow, thank tod!

May 30, 2021, 10:51 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

It looks like the businesses and owners at Parkgate have had enough of mtb'ers using their lot to park while they ride and for post ride hang-outs. They're going to start towing fairly soon so people will need to find a different place to park. TBH I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner, especially considering what the lot can be like on a sunny weekend.

Where'd you hear this ?

May 31, 2021, 2:20 p.m.

Where is the best place for mountain bikers to park in the area as an alternative? Parkgate park? Would be good to have some sort of designated acceptable parking area for mountain bikers as parking seems to be a consistent issue in most areas as the mountain bike specific parking (for lack of a better term) is almost always way too small. Is this something that the NSBMA deals with? I always thought that the parking lots of local schools would be a good option as they are rarely used on the weekends, which is also when you get the most mountain biker traffic.

May 31, 2021, 2:38 p.m.

Parkgate Park, or even on Northlands Drive. Some schools chain up their parking lots on the weekends, but you could check the Dorothy Lynas lot off Indian River Dr.

I think the mall has been willing to deal with a certain amount of biker parking over the years, but it just keeps growing. On a sunny weekend it seems like a third of the lot is bike related... add in dumpster bro-beer action, people doing bike maintenance in the lot, etc. and it's easy to see why they want to crack down.

May 31, 2021, 4:03 p.m.

Posted by: TheWasp

Where'd you hear this ?

Tow truck driver in the lot mentioned it to someone else who let me know.

May 31, 2021, 4:25 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Where is the best place for mountain bikers to park in the area as an alternative? Parkgate park? Would be good to have some sort of designated acceptable parking area for mountain bikers as parking seems to be a consistent issue in most areas as the mountain bike specific parking (for lack of a better term) is almost always way too small. Is this something that the NSBMA deals with? I always thought that the parking lots of local schools would be a good option as they are rarely used on the weekends, which is also when you get the most mountain biker traffic.

PG park has signage indicating that the parking lot closes at 8:00. I haven't noticed them closing the gates or enforcing this though. Has anyone else?

May 31, 2021, 7:44 p.m.

Where'd you hear this ?

Tow truck driver in the lot mentioned it to someone else who let me know.

Last summer a guy from across the street in the co-op mentioned to me as he was passing that he heard they'd be clamping down on bikers. We both wondered how that would work if bikers also used the mall - Bean Around the World being the obvious one.

We shrugged, continued on with our lives and nothing seemed to happen. Maybe they've decided to go for it.

May 31, 2021, 7:56 p.m.

We shrugged, continued on with our lives and nothing seemed to happen. Maybe they've decided to go for it.

I guess time will tell - they may hire someone to supervise the lot. Most lots have signs that say you can only use the parking lot while you are shopping, so parking, getting a coffee and then leaving for a 2hr ride would be a no-no. I never park there anyways, but just figured I'd give people a heads up so nobody gets caught out.

May 31, 2021, 8:16 p.m.

Doing this during Covid doesn't exactly help the situation..