Oregon or Van Isle?

Oct. 23, 2008, 12:31 p.m.

a quick question to vancouver island riders, is there a good amount of long (vertical descents) there? as someone stated there are lots of non-shuttle trails, i don't mind climbing at all so that is cool. i like shore riding and i know there is some real crazy stunt trails, (20 foot drops, huge gaps, etc) but are there lots of say singleblack type of trails, great descents?
thanks

Sure - Mt. Prevost in Duncan has great single track that is pretty darn long and all pointed in the right direction… It's a shuttle ride when the gate is open.

Mt. Tzouhalem (across the valley from Prevost) is more XC, but you can do some really good trails that will point you mostly downhill with the odd rolling climb… This is a climb or hike-a-bike ride.

Maple Mountain (forms a triangle with the above two Mtns) has some decent descents, but not as long as the other Duncan maountains - it can be shuttled, but is gated as well…

Cumberland and Forbidden Plateau (Courtenay/Comox area) both have long descents - Forbidden is a shuttle, Cumberland is hike-a-bike (gated access w/shuttles during races as I recall)

Basically avoid Victoria if you want long descents… There is some good riding in the GVRD - but it's up [HTML_REMOVED] down…

Oct. 23, 2008, 12:37 p.m.

Harbourview in Sooke is a climb with a very long descent with multiple trail options. Its quickly becoming a destination with many riders in Victoria.

Burnt Bridge in Shawnigan Lake has many lost trails with tons of descending, but they are there if you're willing to explore.

Cobble Hill outside of Shawnigan Lake area has a large network of singetrack

Oct. 23, 2008, 5:53 p.m.

Does anybody know how the weather is in Bend in mid November, can you still ride there or is it too cold or too wet? Had a look in the web and it looks like they don't get too much rain but it seems pretty cold. What condition are the trails in at this time of the year? Muddy, snow covered or ridable? Any recommendations for a good cheap B+B?

thanks

Anything very high will probably have snow by then. I would probably plan on somewhere else, but a Bend local or shop could give you better advice.

Oct. 23, 2008, 6:02 p.m.

if you're on the island..I'm sure we could round up people for shuttles of Duomont/Hammerfest…maybe even push the gate over on Benson…

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Oct. 23, 2008, 6:14 p.m.

…maybe even push the gate over on Benson…

Now you're talking. The hike up the face of benson is brutal.