OneUp Job Ad - Living Wage

May 19, 2016, 10:14 p.m.

Saw this:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/oneup-components-job-opening-full-time-warehouse-general-assistant-2016.html

read this:

Full-Time Warehouse/General Assistant

OneUp Components, a Squamish-based mountain bike components company is growing and we need your help. We are looking for the right person to join our small team and assist in the day to day activities of running our business. We offer a lively working environment, with a good work/life balance in a small company.

The position is full time. 8 hours/day with a 30min paid lunch, working 9 out of every 10 weekdays.

Your compensation will be $30,000/year (CAD) plus benefits.

So great to see that it is possible to work for a relatively successful bike parts mfg in Squampton and earn a Living Wage!

People will be flocking all over the opportunity to bust a move in the OneUp warehouse for a really fantastic $30,000 a year!

Imagine that, $30,000 a year!!

I wonder how much of that, after tax, is going just to pay rent in Squamish.

May 19, 2016, 10:24 p.m.

What is the going rate putting things in boxes, entering some numbers in a spreadsheet and sweeping the floors? Why would anyone think that this is a high paying job?

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 19, 2016, 10:24 p.m.

Simply, looking for some 19 year old recently graduated from high school. Who will think "Cool, working for a company" more than "how much are you paying me?"

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 19, 2016, 10:55 p.m.

Link to la starve account. Might apply for the lol

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 19, 2016, 11:21 p.m.

Link to la starve account. Might apply for the lol

Let us know how it goes.

http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Warehouse_Worker/Hourly_Rate

They are paying the Median Wage for "Warehouse Worker" in Canada.

I would argue though that most of those are temp agency jobs and not described as OneUp's:

"responsible for organization and upkeep of our small warehouse, picking and packing of orders, arranging shipments and preparing customs paper work. Along with warehouse and shipping activities, there will be periodic product assembly and packaging projects and general tasks associated with company business."

That would pay quite a bit more.

May 20, 2016, 12:19 a.m.

A link you your strava account? Why?

May 20, 2016, 2:48 a.m.

To apply for the position, please send your resume and covering letter (and a link to your Strava profile) to [email protected] Closing date for applications is May 31, 2016. @OneUpComponents

I guess they figure that people will be clamoring to apply this next week after the long weekend. And Strava is a ripoff. If someone can afford a Strava membership then they cannot afford to work for $30K per year and buy a $5000 bike every now and then.

May 20, 2016, 7:18 a.m.

$16 going in (do the math) is actually pretty good.

Go do a Craigslist search and see how much most warehouse jobs pay. And the hours you have to work to do some of them. With no benefits.

Then go cross reference that and see how much shop groms or first time working in a shop people get paid.

May 20, 2016, 8:07 a.m.

After Taxes 26K + benefits….
Its a decent wage for a person out of school. It will only lead to experience and possibly finding a good career in an industry they want to work in. Ever heard of having room mates? We all did it, I was making $12.00 an hour right out of school and got by no prob. I also have friends that were shop rats in the ski/snowboard industry that all made connections and are doing great as reps etc 10 years later.

I'm sure it would be a great place to work in a job where they probably say " lets take a 2 hour lunch and go for a ride."

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

May 20, 2016, 8:39 a.m.

So great to see that it is possible to work for a relatively successful bike parts mfg in Squampton and earn a Living Wage!

People will be flocking all over the opportunity to bust a move in the OneUp warehouse for a really fantastic $30,000 a year!

Well, ask yourself what is better for a someone with no real skillset . . .
- a $30k per year job that exposes you to the workforce and give you experience
- a $0 per year no-job that, well, does nothing for you

Nothing wrong with a $30k per year job that requires no real skill set. Besides OneUp is not exactly Shimano, I suspect that $30k per year is pretty material to their finances.

May 20, 2016, 9 a.m.

Sounds like someone is one of those kids who thought he'd get a six figure job right out of school.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

May 20, 2016, 9:22 a.m.

People go to college and university these days.
There is no such thing anymore as 'just outa school'
News Flash!
You might get a grade 10 high school dropout finding that a good salary. But not anyone with a future. it's a full-time job remember. this isn't an after school part-time gig.

May 20, 2016, 9:28 a.m.

News Flash!
You might get a grade 10 high school dropout finding that a good salary. But not anyone with a future. it's a full-time job remember. this isn't an after school part-time gig.

So? How about you rent some warehouse space buy some CNC machines and aluminum stock, quit your job and design some product and try an convince people to buy it? The employee bares no risk while the employer is the last guy to get paid when times are tough. You don't know their margin on their product and what they need to turn a profit.

There is no entitlement to a high paying job out of university or college.

I think it is great that a local bunch of guys started a business and are doing well enough to offer employment to someone and maybe the person that gets it will be grateful to get the first job they need so they can find a better one in the future.

May 20, 2016, 9:31 a.m.

News Flash!

Newsflash. Not everyone goes to higher Ed and the job posting says nothing about education level required. Not that far off the mark for a high school grad who wants to shred vs sit in an office all day. Granted, they won't be buying a McMansion on Howe Sound.

May 20, 2016, 9:37 a.m.

https://www.bcjobs.ca/jobs/warehouse-assistant-burnaby-coquitlam-vancouver-298175

$14/hour doing similar without the bikes and flexible hours bit. I think the only mistake Oneup made was posting the salary so the Internet police had something to whine about.