OneUp Job Ad - Living Wage

May 20, 2016, 11:49 a.m.

anybody ever tried to find a decent place to rent in Squamish ?? my brother and sister both live up there a decent places are few and far between with out spending $1200+ a month for rent . people seem to forget not everyone wants the hassle of room mates and such

#northsidetrailbuilders

May 20, 2016, 11:51 a.m.

-I made $9 an hour working for Race Face which didn't bother me because I was working for Race Face (late 90s mind you)
-oneup sells enough sprockets to hire someone for 30k a year?! That's a shit load of gears out the door!

no different than any bike shop employee really

#northsidetrailbuilders

May 20, 2016, 12:26 p.m.

Job requirements

• Understanding of basic inventory, warehousing and stock control procedures
• Basic computer skills with a good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
• Mechanical aptitude and proficiency in bicycle maintenance
• Self-motivated, able to multi-task and work independently
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Must be an avid Mountain Biker
• Must have a driver’s license

I don't see any requirements for post secondary business/commerce degree. I think the pay is more than fair for the job description.
40 hours a week, 32 every other week.
I hope whoever gets the job puts feedback on this thread in 6 months.
I wish them all the best and I bet it works out fine. A great way to get a foot in the door.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

May 20, 2016, 1:06 p.m.

Now this is also wrong :

because that means it is also almost possible.

:)

it is almost possible. and the thing is one up likely can not afford to pay more for this job. this conversation is way broader the the bike industry.

also just because the job does not require post secondary does not mean you do not have student loans.

I hope the parts you ordered off the internet get shipped in a timely manner with nothing missed.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

May 20, 2016, 2:17 p.m.

People go to college and university these days.
There is no such thing anymore as 'just outa school'
News Flash!
You might get a grade 10 high school dropout finding that a good salary. But not anyone with a future. it's a full-time job remember. this isn't an after school part-time gig.

Wow interesting perspective. I guess the days of starting at the bottom and working your way up, are gone?
News flash! College and university ARE both 'school'.
A sense of entitlement won't get you anywhere.
Sounds like a great opportunity for the right person that has a good work ethic.

May 20, 2016, 5 p.m.

Wage sounds "reasonable" for the job. Too low, but around market rate.

And props to Spinner for apologizing.

I'd just be ready to treat this like a short-term job however. I love what all the small shops are making, conversion cog-wise, but I think the big companies are going to shut this market down pretty soon. My last 11-42 10-speed cogstack came from Sun-Race for $90, not Shimano and 1-Up for $180.

May 20, 2016, 5:44 p.m.

Wow interesting perspective. I guess the days of starting at the bottom and working your way up, are gone?
News flash! College and university ARE both 'school'.
A sense of entitlement won't get you anywhere.
Sounds like a great opportunity for the right person that has a good work ethic.

Any job I've ever had that was worth anything, I started at or near the bottom and worked my way up. And passed guys like Spin on the way. This whole attitude nowadays that you deserve the world cause you went to university is garbage. University has it's benefits but it's also a money vacuum. At the end of the day you still have to work your ass off to get anywhere.

May 20, 2016, 7:42 p.m.

I'll bet there's more than a few people out there that will see this job as a great opportunity, even if they have to wait tables or whatever to make a go of it.

May 20, 2016, 7:50 p.m.

$16 an hour for a slack warehouse job is not too shabby for someone just starting out. There are many people working a lot harder for less.

They're not looking for university grads here guys…

May 20, 2016, 8:44 p.m.

$30k is probably a livable wage in many parts of the Country.

Until I see the evidence that the brain trust at OneUp are also waist deep in real estate assignments and inflating the prices of houses in the Sea-to-Sky corridor, I'm not going to lay the blame for the troubles of the world at their feet.

May 20, 2016, 9:50 p.m.

I do apologize again. This time for real. I think it is an OK starting pay for the right person. Not great by any means, but better than the dole and better than Walmart off Government Road for sure.

I know those who support the original critique might not like me backtracking ….
but it is not a poverty wage.

But it also does not sound like the type of wage I would want to pay to someone that does critical warehouse logistics to ensure the USA gets my gears on time.

And with the recent spike in rents in Squamish, and unavailability and scarcity of rents, this is not like winning the lottery.

But if they reward good work, reliable work, and do not enrich themselves at the employee's expense, then this could be a good starting job.

May 20, 2016, 10:05 p.m.

Where does it say anything about a "living wage" in the ad?

"Critical warehouse logistics"? :lol: it's bike parts FFS

May 21, 2016, 7:29 a.m.

I guess they figure that people will be clamoring to apply this next week after the long weekend. And Strava is a ripoff. If someone can afford a Strava membership then they cannot afford to work for $30K per year and buy a $5000 bike every now and then.

You know that strava is free…right?

May 21, 2016, 8:47 a.m.

I do apologize again. This time for real. I think it is an OK starting pay for the right person. Not great by any means, but better than the dole and better than Walmart off Government Road for sure.

I know those who support the original critique might not like me backtracking ….
but it is not a poverty wage.

But it also does not sound like the type of wage I would want to pay to someone that does critical warehouse logistics to ensure the USA gets my gears on time.

And with the recent spike in rents in Squamish, and unavailability and scarcity of rents, this is not like winning the lottery.

But if they reward good work, reliable work, and do not enrich themselves at the employee's expense, then this could be a good starting job.

All good. Good thread

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

May 21, 2016, 2:25 p.m.

Thanks for the support Brock. It does pay better than mowing lawns. And it sure puts less CO2 into the atmosphere than mowing lawns. So this is not just a great way to get a foot in the warehouse door, it is also an excellent way to stop climate change. And since the gears will eventually be installed on bikes, not cars, the climate change is amplified to ensure that we have future generations that can fill future job roles.

All in all, this is a good opportunity. Probably not one that the average Quest University student would be interested in [are they really the 6th most expensive Univ in North America?]. But it sure beats travelling each day up to Whistler Ville to clean hotel rooms that have been soiled by enriched tourists.

Just in — Quest tuition this year 2016-2017 is $32,500. And they also charge an extra $12,250 for board and books. All costs per anus, um err, I mean per annum.
http://www.questu.ca/costs_aid.html

So for sure no Quest pedalmeisters will be in the OneUp warehouse duds. But then who wants the excrementally rich shipping them giant cogs anyways?

But ya. I was wrong. I'll admit I am a bit critical at times.
Quest is probably OK too.
OneUp is a Canadian success story and deserves our support for these reasons and many more.