old guys reminiscing about the good old days thread

May 22, 2003, 8:33 a.m.

Originally posted by Derek Diggler
halson designs inversion forks

You know what funny? My neighbor has those on his bar bike and I was checking them out yesterday laughing.

May 22, 2003, 9:15 a.m.

Originally posted by bullit_kid
**i found your grad pic today chris lol

wanna go work on seymour ? **

oh no…i knew that would come back to haunt me…how is seycove these days?

I am going to build this weekend, if you want to help.

Nice bike.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

May 22, 2003, 9:35 a.m.

i remember when i first started even knowing what bikign was. a buddy of mine had bought this top of the line rocky and he was an xc freak. 2.5 inches of travel was tons and the biggest thign was in like 96 when bomber came out with their fork.
rockshox actually had their own market then.
i have old magazines that buddy gave me from '95 and onward with pics of the downhillers on their bikes with 3 inches or 4 inches all around and these freaky looking frames, with whack ass rim designs. tom ritchey was considered a god, it was all about saving weight,.

god i am glad i aint that old.

yes i still ride a bike…rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

May 22, 2003, 9:43 a.m.

Whistler West Side Wheel up, before Les Clare got hurt :(

Good ol' Lester- he's the dude that turned me onto racing [HTML_REMOVED] epic rides. Thanks for reminding me.

I still remember the first time I hit Severed on my fully rigid Kuwahara- I sem to recall thinking "you're a long way from Burnaby Mtn….." Cantis seemed futile on some of those steeps!

Funny thing is, I'm having more fun biking now than I ever have.

May 22, 2003, 9:47 a.m.

2 words. Suspension Stems.:thepimp:

May 22, 2003, 9:51 a.m.

Originally posted by Lunatik
2 words. Suspension Stems.:thepimp:

haha i had one of those girvin flex stems for a short while on my old full rigid specialized after i upgraded from the bullmoose bar/stem. fuking retarded.

May 22, 2003, 9:54 a.m.

Originally posted by parts
**Good ol' Lester- he's the dude that turned me onto racing [HTML_REMOVED] epic rides. Thanks for reminding me.

I still remember the first time I hit Severed on my fully rigid Kuwahara- I sem to recall thinking "you're a long way from Burnaby Mtn….." Cantis seemed futile on some of those steeps!

Funny thing is, I'm having more fun biking now than I ever have. **

i had a kuwahara Shasta with U brakes, actually I still have it. I remember going over the bars a lot and not getting hurt???

I am having the best time of my life biking and building right now.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

May 22, 2003, 9:57 a.m.

**Good ol' Lester- he's the dude that turned me onto racing [HTML_REMOVED] epic rides. Thanks for reminding me.

Funny thing is, I'm having more fun biking now than I ever have. **

Ya, Les is over on Saltspring now, I have been meaning ot pay him a visit.
If you think riding down the dick was hard in those days, try racing down in after your third lap :S

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

May 22, 2003, 9:58 a.m.

Anyone remember the Mt [HTML_REMOVED] Beach was THE core shop. It was the bomb to get a custom painted Offroad Toad with Grafton Decelerator brakes and WTB hubs (the were chi chi!). How about Malahat Mudfest circa 1990 - I was there in my Mark WWW fleece and thumb shifters, rigid fork and all (maybe Niggz was there too on his Merlin!).

Anyone remeber the Denman bike shop…the old Rocky Tantalus or the Wedge?!! Old steel by craftsmen like Derek Bailey. Yes, I remember the Rock rooster and the old fillet brazed ClimbMax frames, the old Moulden. I once tried a Bridgestone MBzip and thought I'd gone to heaven!!

Ah, those were the days…..

NSMBA member.

May 22, 2003, 10:01 a.m.

i had one of those bridgestone mb-0's. fucking sweet :thepimp:

May 22, 2003, 10:01 a.m.

Kuwahara Mt. Shasta was my first ride too, the black and yellow one. Toe clips and hite-rites, those were the days.

So many freaks, so few circuses.

May 22, 2003, 10:03 a.m.

If you think riding down the dick was hard in those days, try racing down in after your third lap :S

Ahh yess the joy of XC carnage on the big steep near the end of Dick. I always think of that race anytime I hit Dick , Ned's or Dale's. With the bikes on Ned's these days it's hard to recall racing it on wimpy little XC bikes. Still the worst had to be climbing Old Buck for the 3rd time back before they paved it.

May 22, 2003, 10:04 a.m.

this was my first decent mtb rig - the original specialized stumpjumper:

May 22, 2003, 10:23 a.m.

Ahh yess the joy of XC carnage on the big steep near the end of Dick. I always think of that race anytime I hit Dick , Ned's or Dale's. With the bikes on Ned's these days it's hard to recall racing it on wimpy little XC bikes. Still the worst had to be climbing Old Buck for the 3rd time back before they paved it.

I had the privilege of racing the last year of that race. Does anyone other than Dale Douglas ride the rock face on Dales with seat up all the way? Maybe flex

May 22, 2003, 10:25 a.m.

I do miss Burnt Bridge. I also miss the Vanier Park enduro and the Cactus Cup in Whistler.