Ode to Danny Brody

May 19, 2009, 11:15 a.m.

It is time to stand up and pay some respect to one of the great characters of the North Shore. I am reffering to Danny Brody, perhaps the most complicated person I have ever met. I met Danny when i was 7 years old. He was in my elementary school class and he had a knack for getting into trouble. I never really thought much of him until many years later. I had long since forgotten him until I found an interest in mountain biking and noticed him all over the boards. Eager to learn the ways of the shore, I engaged him in online conversations and eventually re-developed a friendship with him. Being friends with him was not easy at first. He was perhaps the stingiest person I had ever met. He would constantly ask me for meals, and would charge me 10$ to drive the 3 km to the local dj's. On my 16th birthday, we rode bikes in squamish and he surprised me by giving me 20$ as a present. A mere 45 minutes later, he asked for that very same $20 back for gas money. He did not see the problem in this. He also logged roughly 45 hours per week online. Still, Danny had an undeniable talent. He rode bikes at a very competetive level in all areas of the sport. I would admire him hucking the lobotmizer and learning 360's. We once roadtripped to tacoma to learn backflips in the foampit there. It was fantastic. At this time, Danny was a vegetarian but he loved mcdonalds. He would order two cheeseburgers and politely request for them to hold the meat. This was always met with confusion and disgust but Danny was immune to embarassment so this was no problem. Danny then took an interest in the stock market and decided he would pursue that. He fell off the mountain bike radar as he studied furiosuly for his securities exams. I recall a day-trip to whistler with him where he asked me not talk to him as he had to memorize his cue cards. Despite my belief that only girls study using cue cards, I couldn't help but admire his determination. It paid off as today, danny is trading with the big boys in a tower in downtown vancouver. He drives a BMW and wears suits 5 days a week. He eats meat and gets sunburned. He has found time for mountain biking again and recently landed his first frontflip. He will be competing again this year and he will be a force to be reckoned with. I eagerly anticipate his results and you should too. So, the next time you see him, perhaps throw his some gas money or buy him some mcdonalds, he's earned it.

May 19, 2009, 12:38 p.m.

Danny Brody became a trader? That explains the global economic meltdown

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 19, 2009, 12:44 p.m.

Wonderful of you to throw out props to a friend…but man….some formatting and spell checking would have made your heart lifting story much friendlier to read =)

May 19, 2009, 1:03 p.m.

Your presence on the board is amusing. Keep the stories coming.

May 19, 2009, 1:15 p.m.

Wonderful of you to throw out props to a friend…but man….some formatting and spell checking would have made your heart lifting story much friendlier to read =)

I agree however the only time I ever go on here is when I am bored at work and write as quickly as possible in segments.

May 19, 2009, 1:18 p.m.

waits for ode to BP…

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

May 19, 2009, 1:54 p.m.

I hear the hoodlums are making a comeback this year.

May 19, 2009, 3:20 p.m.

That was awesome.

May 19, 2009, 6:55 p.m.

I remember telling DB who Warren Buffet was and that wasn't too long ago.

:canada:

May 19, 2009, 9:47 p.m.

:lol: awesome

May 20, 2009, 12:53 a.m.

the best thing about danny brody is his phone number is the same backwards

May 20, 2009, 8:39 a.m.

Someone needs to give Danny Brody a TV show.

I agree that Dan's life deserves documentation. However, a documentary or a biopic would be far more entertaining. Danny's actual day-to-day life is intensely uninteresting. Wake up at 5:00, drive to work, work until about 10:00, go eat a donair, back to work, home, computer, computer, cardio boxing workout, computer, computer, girlfriend duty, bed. On Saterdays and Sundays, substitute work and computer for dirtjumping. The intrigue is more sporadic behavioural abnormalaties and wierd events like spontaneous 48 hour blitz trips to california to hit a dirtjump and eat nachos.

May 20, 2009, 9:08 a.m.

who?

viperfunk.com

May 22, 2009, 5:12 a.m.

who?

Some guy from Vancouver, I 'spose. ;)

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 24, 2009, 8:37 p.m.

:woot:

:canada: - Flickr