NSMBA Strategic Plan

Aug. 18, 2022, 7:53 a.m.

Posted by: DanL

creekbed-like trail ending at the haunted house 

does anyone know the story of that house? so weird that it's been sitting unfinished / uninhabited forever. esp given property value.

Aug. 18, 2022, 10:03 a.m.

It's a super weird one. Even my neighbours have no real idea and these are the ones that have been there since the 1940s.
The owner is offshore and has been since the 80s. Originally they were forced by DNV to put specific height retaining walls (24' )in but they didn't want to pay for it and out in 16' so it cannot be regarded as something that can even be lived in - I believe Todd Fiander did the concrete work. The owner was also forced to put a roof on it to make it watertight.
It's not even habitable but hasn't been subject to teardown and there is the mention of a legal covenant made with the DNV in the 80s when the big Dempsey/Braemar houses were going in (to expand the tax base for DNV) that can't be walked back which is why it hasn't been sold or demolished as it sits in a strange grey area.
My guess is that it's tied into those 6 parcels of land above it as the only thing that has been done with it recently was putting up those metal fences. Originally there was going to be a road connecting Coleman to Braemar

Last edited by: DanL on Aug. 18, 2022, 10:07 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 18, 2022, 10:15 a.m.

Posted by: TheWasp

Did a quick overlay. Do you know which parcels Dan? 

I wonder would requests from folk to shelve that plan and turn it over to Parks have any chance. More land to single family homes doesn't seem to jive with the current emphasis on density 

although it shows 8, go to the Zoning overlay and you'll see them in the RS1 zoning west of the current lots that surround Coleman as it stands. Usually I'd consider it not an issue as there are usually overlap plans, but last year there was a surveying team working through that part of Coleman and the survey lead gave me a rough estimate that it's usually 5 years from a survey to a build once the RS1 permits request get going.

Aug. 19, 2022, 6:32 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Posted by: Ride.DMC

Posted by: [email protected]

[…] Dempsey Connector to Mountain View Park and climb up Griffen and King of the Shore".

This route would take you right past the parking lot wouldn't it, so why not just park at the parking lot? I mean, wasn't the parking lot built (at least in part) so mountain bikers wouldn't park on neighbourhood streets?

Two reasons:

1. Everyone else already parks at the parking lot so it’s often full with a line of idling cars waiting for a spot.
  2. I like to end my ride with a descent, not with a climb.

Maybe we need another parking lot?  One at the west side of the trail network?  I for one like the No Quarter climb trail but I understand that it may need to be made easier (or an easier climb route provided) if it's to have any chance at seeing much use by the masses.  

I usually start my rides early enough that I'm not impacted by the line ups - but I see them when I'm leaving so I know what you're talking about.

Spreading out the traffic wouldn't be a bad idea.  

I know lots of people talk about the bike boom ending post COVID, and that may be true - but I don't think we will ever go back to pre-COVID levels of people recreating outdoors.  The horse is out of the barn and the crowds are probably here to stay.