NSMBA AGM TONIGHT!

Nov. 22, 2016, 8:35 a.m.

One more sleep. NSMBA AGM is tomorrow!!!!

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Nov. 23, 2016, 9:10 a.m.

No more sleeps. Join me and the NSMBA directors tonight for the AGM in Lynn Valley. See you all at 8.

Nov. 23, 2016, 4:02 p.m.

I'm still gonna vote for you Rachid!

Nov. 23, 2016, 4:37 p.m.

I shall be there.

Nov. 24, 2016, 8:11 a.m.

I had to leave after the vote, anything interesting come up in the q[HTML_REMOVED]a or trail updates? What time did it end up finishing? I left at 1045 and it seemed like there was still a lot to go.

Nov. 24, 2016, 10:42 a.m.

No more sleeps. Join me and the NSMBA directors tonight for the AGM in Lynn Valley. See you all at 8.

how many sleeps to the next one?

Nov. 24, 2016, 11:13 a.m.

I had to leave after the vote, anything interesting come up in the q[HTML_REMOVED]a or trail updates? What time did it end up finishing? I left at 1045 and it seemed like there was still a lot to go.

I don't think they did a Q[HTML_REMOVED]A, and there was no trail updates.

Nov. 24, 2016, 11:28 a.m.

I don't think they did a Q[HTML_REMOVED]A, and there was no trail updates.

The trail update was very general, as part of Mark's update. The AGM isn't designed to have an update - that is done at the Town Hall in the spring.

As for Q[HTML_REMOVED]A, due to time restriction and people rushing to refreshments the directors fielded questions on a 1 on 1 basis during the refreshment hour.

Glad to see the great turnout yesterday. Many great things to come, it's been a pleasure to serve on the board for so many years.

PS. 364 days to the next one.

Nov. 24, 2016, 12:56 p.m.

No official Q[HTML_REMOVED]A was a bummer.

Next year there should be more time allotted to the AGM. Additionally:
- the yearly stat reviews should be more succinct
- The candidates should introduce themselves but end there as each profile was located online
- Start promptly at 8pm (or earlier if possible)

I feel the time overrun on the other subjects took away an important component of the AGM: Q[HTML_REMOVED]A.

Nov. 24, 2016, 1:22 p.m.

I was there for my first one. Although I found what they did was good, I was disappointed in what wasn't there. They had a slide of the CMHC signs and then said they would discuss it later. They didn't. There was not a word about the whole business. Thats the main reason I went.

There was a slide relating to development on Cypress. But not a word was said about it.

Then there was that issue of liability insurance for directors. I may have missed something here but I was under the impression that there was going to be a vote which required 100% approval. But there was nothing after the discussion. And no concrete data on what the extra insurance was going to cost.

I found it a bit bizarre and unorgasnized.

But kudos for everyone who tried for a director spot. Great to see so much interest. And the stats on membership growth and the stretch targets for next year were great. Does anyone know if all the slides from the presentation are on the website?

Nov. 24, 2016, 1:38 p.m.

No official Q[HTML_REMOVED]A was a bummer.

Next year there should be more time allotted to the AGM. Additionally:
- the yearly stat reviews should be more succinct
- The candidates should introduce themselves but end there as each profile was located online
- Start promptly at 8pm (or earlier if possible)

I feel the time overrun on the other subjects took away an important component of the AGM: Q[HTML_REMOVED]A.

I agree with you and with @smegolas.

Once the results were announced, the official AGM business was concluded and people just wanted to socialize.

It's difficult sometimes to find the perfect balance between providing information and managing the social aspect of the evening.

I hope that the new board is able to better manage this, Ken, I encourage you to attend the Town Hall in the spring, which is much more focused on trails and will hopefully include a Q[HTML_REMOVED]A.

That being said, anybody with questions is welcome to send them to [email protected] or [email protected] and the directors will do their best to address them.

As for Cyprus, Alan went up and spoke to people interested. Vince attempted to call the room back to order, but was ignored. Alan still did a good job of talking through his slides with the small group of people that congregated around the screen to discuss the matter.

Nov. 24, 2016, 2:05 p.m.

As for Cyprus, Alan went up and spoke to people interested

I just want to point out that Cyprus is a small Mediterranean country …

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 24, 2016, 2:46 p.m.

I downloaded Grammarly and that's been the source of some funny edits.

Cypress, Alan presented about Cypress to a small group of people.

I apologize for any Cypriots insulted by my previous statement.

Nov. 24, 2016, 4:41 p.m.

The special resolution regarding the indemnification was put to the members - but the "vote" was only for those opposed to the motion not for - so it was silent. There was no official opposition noted while I was there, so it appears to have been passed (as it reasonably should have). EDIT: And the resolution was that NSMBA indemnify former Board members - not that they take out insurance on it. How NSMBA chooses to protect itself re the indemnification is up to those making that decision.

Re Cyress - Alan B is your guy. He and I talk about it often as those are my local trails and therefore where I ride 80% of the time. Happy to discuss if you're interested - PM me or AlanB.

Nov. 25, 2016, 10:28 a.m.

The special resolution was handled weirdly. It was explained that, having failed to circulate the proposed resolution 14 days prior, that it required unanimous support to pass. Why was the resolution NOT circulated 14 days prior? It would seem no harm done ultimately, but came off as very disorganized/unprofessional.

And I echo comments regarding the lack of Q[HTML_REMOVED]A, trail updates etc.