NSMBA 2012 AGM and Year End Party - Thursday, November 29th

Nov. 20, 2012, 1:52 a.m.

Killing two birds with one stone, the NSMBA will be formalizing next year's Board of Directors and then cracking a few Brown Pows. Thursday, November 29th, 7pm, Jaycee House.

Flyer here…

flickr

Nov. 20, 2012, 10:26 a.m.

Just noticed that this is a date change from the email that NSMBA sent me on Oct. 29th. (for Tues. Nov. 27th)

Hey NSMBA, better send out a new email to all the current members.

Nov. 20, 2012, 10:28 a.m.

Just noticed that this is a date change from the email that NSMBA sent me on Oct. 29th. (for Tues. Nov. 27th)

Hey NSMBA, better send out a new email to all the current members.

They did send out a new email yesterday, Nov. 19th, with the new date in the details.

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

Nov. 20, 2012, 10:38 a.m.

They did send out a new email yesterday, Nov. 19th, with the new date in the details.

Ah, I see it now. I had already deleted it as I had the original date in my calendar. Nothing in there that pointed out that the date had changed, unless you compared it to the previous email.

Nov. 28, 2012, 2:20 p.m.

… is tomorrow, exciting non?

List of peeps who signed up to rep the NSMBA next year as follows:

(from http://nsmba.ca/nsmba-election-headquarters )

And The Nominees Are (as of November 26th, 2012):

Role - Nominees
President - Mathew Bond
Treasurer - Rachid Nayel
Director of Trails - Todd Fiander
Director of Advocacy - Vince Beasse
Director of Events - Ash Kelly
Director of Races - Brian Earle
Director of Marketing and Communications - Andy Rogers
Director of Sponsorship - Wade Simmons
Director of Volunteers and Membership - Chris Brown
Director at Large - Morgan Taylor
Directors at Large - Ben Campbell-Barry
Directors at Large - Tara Mowat

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Nov. 28, 2012, 2:55 p.m.

that's a solid list of nominees!

Nov. 28, 2012, 3:03 p.m.

Heavy competition in the "at large" category. I propose jello wrestling for the title.

flickr

Nov. 28, 2012, 3:14 p.m.

Don't scare Ben off.

and watch out for Tara. You might regret your proposal.

Nov. 28, 2012, 3:22 p.m.

Heavy competition in the "at large" category. I propose jello wrestling for the title.

I dare you to have a shot gunning contest with Tara.

Prepare to get schooled by her.

Nov. 28, 2012, 3:26 p.m.

Wow, Todd is back, how long was the hiatus?

solid looking lineup.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Nov. 28, 2012, 3:35 p.m.

Wow, Todd is back, how long was the hiatus?

solid looking lineup.

I got a giggle out of his nomination application
http://nsmba.ca/documents/2013%20Directors%20Nomination%20-%20Trails%20-%20Todd%20Fiander.pdf

could he just say "Digger" and it would be covered? :lol:

Nov. 28, 2012, 3:38 p.m.

could he just say "Digger" and it would be covered? :lol:

I respectfully disagree.

Digger is the guy that used to use a cordless screw gun (or so I've heard) to build at night to avoid detection.

Todd Fiander is the guy doing excellent work with the land owners approval, working to benefit all.

Nov. 28, 2012, 4:03 p.m.

Down in WA state, we are considering some changes to make our trail advocacy groups bigger, faster, stronger, and an elected board is one of the ideas being tossed around. There have been several concerns vocalized that this opens the group up to hostile takeover by environmental groups, hikers, neighborhood orgs, and so on. I think this is somewhat paranoid, but I've been told that it has happened before, though have not seen proof in writing.

What is required to vote in the election? Paid dues and attendance at the annual meeting?
I am a bit surprised that the entire that the board terms are one year, and that the entire board can be changed each year. 2 year terms with staggered elections seem like an easy safe guard.

Are the NSMBA bylaws available online?

Nov. 28, 2012, 5:27 p.m.

Down in WA state, we are considering some changes to make our trail advocacy groups bigger, faster, stronger, and an elected board is one of the ideas being tossed around. There have been several concerns vocalized that this opens the group up to hostile takeover by environmental groups, hikers, neighborhood orgs, and so on. I think this is somewhat paranoid, but I've been told that it has happened before, though have not seen proof in writing.

To protect against hostile takeovers, put something like the following in your constitution.

No person shall be nominated, appointed, or elected as a director of [HTML_REMOVED]society name[HTML_REMOVED] who has not been a member in good standing for at least six calendar months prior to the month in which the nomination, appointment, or election is to take place, except that this subsection does not apply to the first board created upon incorporation.

Directors should be appointed for 2 year terms with only half the director positions being open each year. This prevents hostile takeovers and improves continuity of the board.

Dec. 1, 2012, 3:38 p.m.

Thanks for organizing the NSMBA AGM, it was super informative and gave me as a new comer to Vancouver a great look into the work the organization is doing.

I'm keen to hear more on the opportunities with Cypress!

Twitter: Stephen_matthws
Instagram: stephen_matthews