NSMB Doctorz - dislocated shoulder

Aug. 20, 2011, 12:08 a.m.

okay NSMB Doctorz….learn me up on your experiences with dislocated shoulders.

I suffered a subluxation of mine 5weeks ago on Dirt Merchant….and with my assistance it more or less spontaneously popped back in…doctor has been pretty casual about it all….but me being the impatient MF that I am, I'm starting to get frustrated with the speed of recovery….

tell me your stories,give me a prognosis, let me know how long it was before you started riding again, tell me it's lupus….

this is my second shoulder injury…the first one left me unable to use my right arm for almost 3 months (yes, I'm right handed)….I'm hoping time is on my side here and all will be good if I just start being patient and take things easy.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Aug. 20, 2011, 6:28 a.m.

How long did you have it in a sling? That's the most important thing IMO.

In 2004 or 2005 I dislocated mine rather horrendously at WBP. On the advice of the doc at the whistler clInic (who put it back in about 2 hours after the crash) I kept it in a sling for 3 weeks, then started physio for several months. I can't remember how long until I started riding but I'm going to say at least 3 months. Lots of stabilizing exercises with bands and stuff.

Didn't have any more problems until 2008 when I dislocated it again in a rather silly crash. Friends helped me to pop it back in fairly quickly. I went to see a doc at emergency who x-rayed it and said keep it in a sling for a couple of days. I did that…and proceeded to pop it out 3 more times in the next 6 months.

I haven't had any more dislocations since, although I did get rid of my big bike and switch to xc. My job has a lot of awkward reaching and heavy lifting so sometimes it aches but that's about it.

Aug. 20, 2011, 9:49 a.m.

For me 9months with bad impingement, i.e. couldn't lift my arm above my head. Had 2 MRI's, the second was the contrast with dye, revealed a fracture.

Advice, PHYSIO PHYSIO PHYSIO. Take your time to heal up, don't rush back. If your in Vancouver I recommend Allan McGavin physio, these guys take care of the Canucks, Giants. http://www.allanmcgavinphysio.com/

Aug. 20, 2011, 2:30 p.m.

Had 3 tendons reattached in 2006 took the better part of 18 month for full recovery,rehab exercises constantly even when you think your better later on weight lifting in all directions because you will use the wrong muscles and it take specific exercises to rebuild the right ones.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Aug. 20, 2011, 2:49 p.m.

ice ice and more ice. improve your posture (shoulders back and down) to help train your body to keep things in a stable position.

obviously see a real doctor.

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 20, 2011, 2:53 p.m.

When I did my shoulder in it took about a year for me to get it back to where I could rebuild the strength. Constantly worked it for a year. Always had some way to work on getting back the strength and flexibility. I still work it to this day and more then 3 years later. Just keep at it let it rest when you sleep, go at it progressively.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Aug. 20, 2011, 9:35 p.m.

thanks all…..sounds like I just need to learn to be a helluva a lot more patient.

Tom: I was in a sling for a short period of time, which I thought was odd…but after much research and reading and asking questions there's two stances on it and the doctor I'm with prefers the short term method….I nodded and agreed and did what I was told

I have found a good physio in Vic who looks after members of the Canadian Rowing Team so stoked on that

still painful at times, and really annoying when it comes to sleeping…a series of previous injuries mean I can only really sleep in one position and it exacerbates the pain from the shoulder.

oh well, HTFU, right??

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Aug. 20, 2011, 9:42 p.m.

and FFS…this makes me cringe

http://update.whistlerbike.com/2011/07/15/stay-healthy-my-friends/

posted by: AdamBillinghurst | category: hp
15th July
2011 Have you ever ridden 100 days in the bike park in one season? Its a pretty small crew that make it to the century club every year. I bet if you ask everybody in this group 90% of them had to take time off for injuries. Its nearly impossible to stay healthy for a whole bike park season. Tuesday was day 40 in the park for me. My membership in the century club was put in jeopardy by a couple of trees. My chronically dislocating shoulder broke free from its socket once again and unleashed a world of pain, anger, disappointment, and sleeplessness on me. For anybody that has dislocated their shoulder before ,you know the pain. For those that never have, try to avoid doing this. It will become a lifetime problem. FACT. For the first time ever out of the 18ish times this has happened it didn’t go back in by itself and I had what is known as a “dangler”. For 15 minutes it clicked and grinded and pinched nerves. Uncomfortable would be an understatement. Thanks to the Anthill crew, Entonox and the Dr who put it back in. I’ll now roam Crankworx with a sling which is like having 2 heads. People wanna know what happened ( which is nice I guess that people care ) but after a while you just don’t wanna talk about it. I’m already sick of writing about it. Stay healthy. Enjoy the July hero dirt and pinning it with the world cuppers.

AB

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Oct. 27, 2011, 11:25 p.m.

so…..I'm at 16 weeks…. been going to physio since september and while it's been great and I've improved immensely, I'm still not allowed to ride anything more than a trainer/stationary bike. Gym workouts and all that (as directed) have helped somewhat…but it's still painful and sleeping is annoyingly difficult.

Had an ultrasound today (no, I'm not pregnant) and from what little I know and what I was able to get out of the pictures they let me see it's not looking great for riding anytime soon.

Another week of waiting until my doctor lets me know the final outcome.

By far, this is most frustrating injury I've ever had.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Oct. 29, 2011, 1:38 p.m.

I rushed back… I had a job.. I dislocated it in april'10 at race the ranch then did about 6 weeks of sling and 8 weeks of physio then was solid for over a year then popped it out again at the beginning of this month. My prognosis though was never good I needed a surgery when i did it the first time so no amount of physio and rest was going to make it 100%.

There's a guy on Pinkbike who calls himself MTB strength training systems or something along those lines… He's done some really amazing workouts for things like ankles and wrists and has one for shoulders just involving activating the muscles and building them just using light weights and body weight I've begun to do all of his exercises in hopes that with a winter of lying low(er) and working I can get some confidence back.

I will also be rocking one of http://evs-sports.com/product/shoulder-support/"]These Next season (probably and SB04)

Oct. 29, 2011, 6:04 p.m.

By far, this is most frustrating injury I've ever had.

Definately do not blow your acl and then get surgery. 11 months and counting… But i have been riding for a few months, just nothing very difficult or fast….

Oct. 29, 2011, 9:35 p.m.

Hey if you live in Vancouver go see linda Warren at Burrard physio,she has rebuilt my shoulder 3 times,you must work on your rotator cuff muscles, this woman works wonders,but take the time to heal it proper,after all very important for handling the bike on gnar. good luck!

Oct. 29, 2011, 10:33 p.m.

Hey if you live in Vancouver go see linda Warren at Burrard physio,she has rebuilt my shoulder 3 times,you must work on your rotator cuff muscles, this woman works wonders,but take the time to heal it proper,after all very important for handling the bike on gnar. good luck!

thanks for the reccomendation, puntor, but I'm the island.

The current physio I'm seeing works with members of the national rowing team and rides road/CX.

In the meantime, I'm working on my heckling and cowbell skills.

Loud Hubs Save Lives