NSMB 4.0

Nov. 19, 2017, 4:54 p.m.

Alright. What about the requests that are just simple config settings..

Nov. 20, 2017, 9:42 a.m.

Do you mean this? That should indeed take just a few clicks so we can give that a try.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Can you please move all the sub-forums to the main level? There really aren't that many and it's way too easy to miss new posts in them.

Last edited by: [email protected] on Nov. 20, 2017, 9:42 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 21, 2017, 10:08 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

The old forum software (vbulletin) was a nightmare from a maintenance p.o.v. as there were constant vulnerabilities despite Norman staying on top of updates. Keeping it was simply not an option.

I hear you on the old vbulletin, but why replace it with this?  From the documentation link you posted: It is not a standalone forum solution.

Nov. 21, 2017, 1:26 p.m.

See the sentence before that: "Django-machina was built with integration in mind: the application is designed to be used inside existing Django applications. It is not a standalone forum solution."

We did not want a standalone forum solution, we wanted something that would integrate with the website (which runs a Django-based CMS).

Nov. 21, 2017, 1:44 p.m.

OK, I moved a bunch of subforums to top level. Let's see if you guys like that. We can always move them back.

Nov. 21, 2017, 2:05 p.m.

Thanks.

I'm getting the Forum/Topic/Posts/Last Post header twice.  The double shows up about 5 forums down.

Also, it'd probably make sense to consolidate/kill some forums.   Ladies Only hasn't been used for a couple years.  The Lycra forum housed a few threads for all of last year, Whistler & Bikeparks could be consolidated.  Trail Conditions and Trail News/Maintenance were telling me they wanted to move in together...

Nov. 21, 2017, 2:26 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

See the sentence before that: "Django-machina was built with integration in mind: the application is designed to be used inside existing Django applications. It is not a standalone forum solution."

We did not want a standalone forum solution, we wanted something that would integrate with the website (which runs a Django-based CMS).

I read the whole bit.  If the front end was something special, I could see choosing the platform you did in the name of integration, but we went from Disqus to posting virtual post-it notes .  Other than the bold and italic designations, this isn't forum software.  Sorry, end of bitching...the rain won't stop falling.

Nov. 21, 2017, 3:54 p.m.

I'm getting the Forum/Topic/Posts/Last Post header twice.  The double shows up about 5 forums down.

Weird, not seeing that. Would you mind sharing a screenshot?

Nov. 21, 2017, 4:34 p.m.

Posted by: Henry-Chinaski

I read the whole bit. If the front end was something special, I could see choosing the platform you did in the name of integration, but we went from Disqus to posting virtual post-it notes . Other than the bold and italic designations, this isn't forum software. Sorry, end of bitching...the rain won't stop falling.

Yeah those of you who think the new site/forum sucks have made that very clear already on multiple occasions.

We clearly underestimated how much some of you were using additional features. Probably because none of us are frequent forum users. I was expecting some grumbling because that's what change always does, but to be honest I was genuinely surprised to see how big a deal it is for some of you. I'm not very active on forums / social media in general though so that may have something to do with it. Or maybe I'm just naive.

In the big picture, Norman and I are very happy with the move to Django as it's a very pleasant platform to work with. The old Wordpress/vBulletin/PHP combo was creaking and cracking and simply wasn't sustainable for much longer. So far, the new site has been very stable and without serious issues, which is a big deal for us. Clearly on the front-end there is still work to do but architecturally we now solid foundation that is much more robust, secure, scalable, extensible, etc.

Anyway, we appreciate the feedback, good or bad, and we'll do our best to improve the user experience.

Nov. 22, 2017, 4:50 p.m.

I fully appreciate how awesome it is to be shit on, but come on man.

This response just reaffirms the belief that this aspect of NSMB is a black-sheep and not worth anything, which is a total shame. The hive-mind here produced results that will take Google many many years to replicate.

If you all had just said, "yeah, you guys are too caustic, fuck off" we could have taken this problem out of your hands.

Nov. 22, 2017, 5:25 p.m.

Thanks for the screenshot. Browser/OS? Have you tried clearing your browser cache?

<div>I suggest we move on from the hurt feelings and apologies. What would be your nr 1 priority to fix? The editor?</div>

Last edited by: [email protected] on Nov. 22, 2017, 5:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 22, 2017, 5:26 p.m.

Well, looks like the editor answered itself :(

Nov. 22, 2017, 5:34 p.m.

We're still here, those of us who have left have moved on.

Firefox Quantum 57

Chrome Version 62.0.3202.94

iOS Safari whoknows

Microsoft Edge 25.00023984029384029384029384

I don't use Opera or Vivaldi.

Last edited by: ReductiMat on Nov. 22, 2017, 5:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grammar is hard
Nov. 22, 2017, 7:57 p.m.

Thanks. I tracked it down to the Buy & Sell forum. I moved it back under Gear for now but we can probably remove it as it's basically a link to https://nsmb.com/classifieds/all/.

Nov. 23, 2017, 5:08 a.m.

I fully appreciate how awesome it is to be shit on, but come on man.

This response just reaffirms the belief that this aspect of NSMB is a black-sheep and not worth anything, which is a total shame. The hive-mind here produced results that will take Google many many years to replicate.

If you all had just said, "yeah, you guys are too caustic, fuck off" we could have taken this problem out of your hands.

THIS.

The old forum used to be a bee-hive full of activity, not only on bike related topics, but almost any (current) issues. A few users were painful to bear or debate with, but still. The point still stands.

Now it is down to almost 5 or 8 users who regularly post.

And the argument that times have changed and internet forums are no longer of any value is not valid, as the activity on That Other Site clearly shows.

Sad. Just sad.