NSMB 4.0

April 25, 2017, 10:15 p.m.

Posted by: norman

Posted by: LoamtoHome

I'm getting a big 404 from https://nsmb.com/forum/tracking/unread-topics/

The new board is super slow as well.

We just pushed out an update that should address that. Can you let me know if it still doesn't work please?

Problem persists.

April 25, 2017, 11:09 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Posted by: norman

I'm getting a big 404 from https://nsmb.com/forum/tracking/unread-topics/

The new board is super slow as well.

We just pushed out an update that should address that. Can you let me know if it still doesn't work please?

Problem persists.

404 or slow?

April 26, 2017, 9:40 a.m.

still showing 404

#nodignoride

April 26, 2017, 1:43 p.m.

still showing 404

Argg..

Can you please try something for me? Click Mark forums read at the bottom of the page here then try again: https://nsmb.com/forum/

April 26, 2017, 7:30 p.m.

Followed your steps and clicking on the link now shows a page that states there are no unread messages.

Have to wait and see what the behavior is when there unread messages.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 27, 2017, 9:34 a.m.

Posted by: switch

Followed your steps and clicking on the link now shows a page that states there are no unread messages.

Have to wait and see what the behavior is when there unread messages.

Seems to be working properly.

April 29, 2017, 11:45 p.m.

still not usable, klicking on "view unread topics" still loads that slow that i can open up ridemonkey, klick on every post i follow that contains something new (usually 3-4 threads), load them (up to the post i read last) and i finish loading them BEFORE the NSMB list of all unread posts loads here. klicking on page 2 takes the same duration. THAT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE, it's 2017 guys. sorry but this whole redesign looks only pretty but delivers ZERO advantage to users compaired with the old, "ugly" solution. @admins, is that what you had in mind when you decided all that? especially how a self build solution is superior over standard software?

a disappointed user...

April 30, 2017, 7:30 a.m.

Hi Sethimus,

Yes, we are aware that the unread topics page is super slow, and no, of course that's not what we had in mind. The forum software is not self-built but that doesn't change the fact it's not meeting expectations, and we can blame ourselves for not identifying this at an earlier stage. With our limited resources we have to make fairly big trade-offs on what we spend our time on, and unfortunately sometimes that doesn't work out as well as we had hoped.

I'm confident that everything will work out in time. As you wrote, it's 2017 and there is no reason that the unread topics page should be so slow, so we should be able to fix that. However, as has been mentioned before, it may take a bit longer than we all would want, for the simple reason that NSMB sometimes has to take a backseat when work/life are demanding most of our available time. This is the reality, can't make it any nicer.

In the meantime, keep giving us feedback about what works and what doesn't, it helps a lot.

Thanks for your patience!

BTW If you haven't done so, marking all forums as read helps a little bit (after the migration, all 2.5M posts were unread for all users).

Last edited by: [email protected] on April 30, 2017, 4:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 30, 2017, 1:50 p.m.

Can you please work on the navigation/user friendliness in the photo gallery? 

I have to take a detour of sorts before I can check my own uploads or upload new images. 

It would be nice if I could see/upload directly when I am logged in and clicking on photos. 

Right now I first have to click on any gallery and then click on "photos" to see my uploads. 

Can you change that, please?

April 30, 2017, 4:07 p.m.

Mic, good feedback, thanks.

May 2, 2017, 10:44 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

The forum software is not self-built but that doesn't change the fact it's not meeting expectations, and we can blame ourselves for not identifying this at an earlier stage. With our limited resources we have to make fairly big trade-offs on what we spend our time on, and unfortunately sometimes that doesn't work out as well as we had hoped.

Coming from someone who has made a lifestyle of being overextended, limited resources don't mix very well with roll your own solutions.  Hope you're able to turn things around.

May 2, 2017, 10:47 a.m.

By the way, if I post in a thread the top of the page only shows the nsmb logo but not the usual user name and menu.

Weird...not in every thread.

Last edited by: Mic on May 2, 2017, 10:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 3, 2017, 9:28 a.m.

And...when I visit the online shop of you guys and want to go to the forum afterwards a message by VBulletin appears. Guess the

May 3, 2017, 10:02 p.m.

Posted by: ceebee

after some password reset fiddle-farting, back in!

is the "new posts" functionality gone? that would suck...

We are working on this. Thanks for your patience! (and welcome back!)

May 4, 2017, 7:05 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Posted by: ceebee

after some password reset fiddle-farting, back in!

is the "new posts" functionality gone? that would suck...

We are working on this. Thanks for your patience! (and welcome back!)

See the link at the top right under the search box.

New topics