NSMB 4.0

March 18, 2017, 7:55 p.m.

Re. Adblock, I hadn't noticed that one could turn it off for particular sites. I just have for this site and as it stands now they not very intrusive so Adblock will stay off :) Thanks for the heads up.

March 19, 2017, 6:17 p.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

Posted by: Endurimil

Couldn't remember after 11 years the old email I signed up with. LOL. Allowed me to fix my user name to the correct spelling.

mine was apparently my old dropmachine email, which I'd 100% forgotten about, ha

Funny I saw Jeff around New years.

March 19, 2017, 9:08 p.m.

How will Gooch find his way back?

Thread killer

March 19, 2017, 9:17 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Yes, we care. Believe me, we're hard at work, both on the Forum experience as well as what's going on on the front page and with content. I don't expect sympathy for this, but I think it's worth pointing out that a big part of the reason that the pace of change/improvement around here is not at the same level as what you might expect from, say, google docs, is that we don't have the resources of a lot of online experience providers that you've come to be used to.

I want to give a big thank you to Norman and Niels who have put a gargantuan effort into these changes. Some of them were "ripping off the band-aid" type changes that were done in order to set up future plans. Without these changes, we wouldn't have been able to keep improving the site. As Niels pointed out, we're now in a good position to continue improving and you'll see the evidence of that over the next few months.

Judging from the lack of "Powered by Joyent" logo, I assume your costs went up a touch. I suspect the polar swim we've just experienced would have been more palatable if we were warned. By a huge margin if were to bet.

Regardless, next time you should engage some of your more frequent users and ask them what features they use most if this is truly a strategic asset.

FWIW, I never once thought the lack of connection between my FB profile and this account was a problem. In fact, in light of omni-channel marketing I find it more of a benefit.

March 20, 2017, 8:40 a.m.
  • still getting the 404 error at times. it seems to always happen when a post is the last one on a page before it flips over to a new page (post #15). whether you click the link directly to the post or to the thread itself then you get the 404 error.

• just noticed that the posts aren't numbered either.

• the search function is useless. not only are the options limited but it only returns 404 errors.

• you can't put in extra line breaks to create white space in your posts if you want.

i'm not an IT guy anymore but did you guys not consider running the new site in the background for a while to test the site out before switching over? and like RM suggested some sort of info page or warning on the change would have been good. the usability compared to VB is pretty poor.

March 20, 2017, 8:20 p.m.

I agree with many of the posters in this thread...this "update" seems more like a step backwards....Its a shame that so much hard work has gone into the site/forum with a product that isnt easy to use nor does it have the user functions of vb.

I like tgr's set up  and the old nsmb...easy and intuitive...I hope this gets better, but as it sits im not really bothered to use the site any more due to the changes.

March 21, 2017, 6:22 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

I've been holding off on this comment, in the hopes Norm's all over it.  I'm having real trouble reading the forum on my iphone 5s. Far too many dates and user names showing, it's impossible to navigate. To the point of "i'm cured of my bb.nsmb addiction".

Oh, and where did "attachments" go?

screenshot of my bitchiness.

Can't see the screenshot, but would like to so we can address this.

March 21, 2017, 9:25 a.m.

yeah, this new forum has me totally over the forum....having to log in everytime, having to scroll back to get to the start of new posts in a thread instead of the last post....meh, maybe I've been over it for a while and this is just the push a bunch of us needed to cut totally loose? Not trying to cut down the effort behind the scenes, appreciated, but maybe the forum is just a dead model at this point.

March 21, 2017, 10:14 a.m.

to get more traffic on the boards again, how about having some of the latest threads on the front page showing like Vital does?

March 22, 2017, 7:44 a.m.

Mods, you should just go back to the old website.

Thread killer

March 22, 2017, 8:41 a.m.

old site wasn't encrypted...

March 22, 2017, 8:56 a.m.

I'm more than willing to run the risk of organized crime breaking into my old private messages and using my account to post messages in return for a working board.

March 22, 2017, 8:28 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I'm more than willing to run the risk of organized crime breaking into my old private messages and using my account to post messages in return for a working board.

YUP

Response

March 23, 2017, 9:50 a.m.

There maybe a legal aspect for the change.  Always two sides.

March 23, 2017, 3:40 p.m.

Sorry fellas, I stand by my comments from the other day.

This new format sucks puss filled grey saggy balls. I can only imagine the effort put in only to end up with......this. So much shit doesnt work properly