NSMB 4.0

March 8, 2017, 2:25 p.m.

Hey Norman,

Looking good so far!  If I chip in on the prioritization.. getting that 404 error when you click on the last page of a thread is really annoying.

March 9, 2017, 3:53 a.m.

can threads be set as read after a certain time like in the old forum? doing that manually sucks

March 10, 2017, 2:33 p.m.

Seeing as there is no way to see if a sub-forum has new posts, could you simply make everything on the same level?

March 10, 2017, 2:54 p.m.

Noticing that even if I check the box to remember my login for a month...the next day I have to log in again.

March 11, 2017, 1:33 a.m.

i'm sorry but so far this takes out the fun in posting here. this forum is useless for me in its current state. if this was designed to reengage more readers with the forum it failed big times. this should have at least feature parity with the old forum, not feeling like a time machine into the early days of the internet

March 11, 2017, 5:56 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

i'm sorry but so far this takes out the fun in posting here. this forum is useless for me in its current state. if this was designed to reengage more readers with the forum it failed big times. this should have at least feature parity with the old forum, not feeling like a time machine into the early days of the internet

No doubt Norman is trying his best. Data migration is hard, as is shifting to a new platform.

Outside of a new-user who claims he's been around since Jesus and everything is going to be fine, it seems the owners care little for these forums, which is sad considering it's a pretty kick ass place.

I've tried my best, as have a few others (switch, mic, heckler & tungsten) but the past few weeks have sucked.

NSMB, can you come out and say if these forums are "strategic" for you? If not, please let us know. I've come to really enjoy bb.nsmb and would hate to see it die.

Last edited by: ReductiMat on March 11, 2017, 10:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 12, 2017, 6 a.m.

Out of curiosity, wondering why when this forum was launched that I could not use my original log in and password. It didn't work and still doesn't. Hence I signed back up using a new user name. I'll pm Norman to find out why

March 12, 2017, 8:13 a.m.

Posted by: KevinP

Out of curiosity, wondering why when this forum was launched that I could not use my original log in and password. It didn't work and still doesn't. Hence I signed back up using a new user name. I'll pm Norman to find out why

your old user name is still valid, you just need to change your password. the issue for some people though is that their account is tied to an old email address they no longer use so they can't get the password reset email the system sends. just send a pm to norman and he'll take care of it for you.

March 12, 2017, 8:32 a.m.

Did it this morning. I'm ok using my new user name. Just curious. Was probably the old email though

March 12, 2017, 12:21 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Posted by: Sethimus

No doubt Norman is trying his best. Data migration is hard, as is shifting to a new platform.

Outside of a new-user who claims he's been around since Jesus and everything is going to be fine, it seems the owners care little for these forums, which is sad considering it's a pretty kick ass place.

I've tried my best, as have a few others (switch, mic, heckler & tungsten) but the past few weeks have sucked.

NSMB, can you come out and say if these forums are "strategic" for you? If not, please let us know. I've come to really enjoy bb.nsmb and would hate to see it die.

They absolutely are. We really appreciate you sticking it out with us.

The reality is that we don't have a lot of resources and I'm just one guy with a day job to pay the bills. We don't have a team of programmers working on this site full time. I'd love to have that, but we don't have the resources to hire a team.

This platform change has been the biggest one that nsmb has done and it was a huge risk. I know it feels incomplete but we had to make the decision to switch over because our old platform was holding the site back from doing the things we really wanted it to do. 

Thanks again for all your feedback and especially your patience. I read every single post and am trying my best to address everything.

March 14, 2017, 9:01 a.m.

Hey Norman,

I would really love to post pictures the way it was possible on the old forum, that is by attaching them to a post. 

This is no longer possible. 

Is it possible to change that? I do not see a reason to create an account on flickr, instagram or any other site. 

And using the url from the photos on nsmb does not seem to work.

March 14, 2017, 3:43 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Data migration is hard, as is shifting to a new platform.

I'm actually pretty thrilled most everything is still functioning with only minor bugs.

Would it help to drop prioritized lists of what you're able to work on in order (e.g. 1) Login Credentials for Existing Users 2) Fixing broken links from places like Store 3) etc..), so that we know what the long tent in the pole is, and can have a rough idea of what fixes are in the pipeline, and what might require some patience for?

Last edited by: tehllama42 on March 14, 2017, 3:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 14, 2017, 4:04 p.m.

I miss at the index where you see the list of the latest posts from all the forums. Glad to see the new forum is https as well. Previous was sketchy af.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on March 14, 2017, 4:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: cuz
March 14, 2017, 4:15 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

I miss at the index where you see the list of the latest posts from all the forums. Glad to see the new forum is https as well. Previous was sketchy af.

At the bottom of the forum index page is a link "View unread topics":

https://nsmb.com/forum/tracking/unread-topics/

You need to be logged in to see it though. The old forum had a "Today's Posts" page which worked when not logged in. We can put something like that back in.

March 14, 2017, 4:42 p.m.

As I wrote a large chunk of the data migration code (Norman did a ton of fine-tuning before the launch) I'd like to add a few remarks:

Regarding the hyphenated usernames: the old forum allowed pretty much any character in usernames. The new platform doesn't. So we had to replace some characters (like spaces) with something else (like hyphen). On the bright side, the new usernames are URL-friendly so we can have URLs like https://nsmb.com/photos/user/[email protected]/.

Passwords could not be migrated because we can't read your passwords. That's a good thing, but I think it should have been communicated better that you have to reset your password before you can log in to the new site. Apologies for that.

The PMs not being migrated from the old forum was a complete oversight on my side, sorry. Also, see my next point regarding perfect data migrations.

In general, to get any data migration perfect requires an infinite amount of time. I tried to use the limited time available in the best way possible, but of course it's not perfect.

Most importantly, we moved to an entirely new (to us) technology stack which allows us much more flexibility and should scale much better than the old platform. From a technical point of view, the hardest part is done and we can now focus on features and usability.

Thanks for the feedback and let's work together to make NSMB better :-)