North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

June 2, 2020, 8:04 a.m.

Yes, they are still in place around Berkley/Hyannis at the moment

June 2, 2020, 3:19 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

Can confirm it's open now - what's the story with Hyannis/Old Buck ?

Old Buck parking lot is open, as is street parking on Anne McDonald Way, but only up to Taylor Creek Place. Beyond that it is still resident only.  Always plenty of space at Parkgate Park since there still aren't any organized field sports happening.

Last edited by: PaulB on June 2, 2020, 3:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 2, 2020, 8:55 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Posted by: bmv88

Might be stating the obvious but seems to me that the increase in unsanctioned loamers is a direct result of the lack of new trails on Fromme and Seymour. As a comparison Squamish had 5 new sanctioned trails last year. Did the Shore have any?

Squamish has hundreds of trails and plenty of new ones, yet the unsanctioned building going on here at the moment is bordering on the ridiculous. So it has nothing to do with lack of new trails. It'd be awesome if the effort was put into fixing up the old trails rather 'building' yet another loamer that will only last a few months before it's wrecked.

was a bit surprised to see remy scraping moss down a fresh one hit wonder slab line in his latest vid (which was in clear proximity to an existing trail). is it just a free for all in that zone as long as you're not cutting live trees?

It's private land and most owners don't seem to care as long as their investment goes up in value. Whether videos like this set a good example for people who look up to him is somewhat debatable! I just hope no-one gets seriously injured on lines like this, for their own sake and the fact that areas might get shut down as a result. Having 'instabangers' in high traffic locations is pretty dumb.

June 3, 2020, 8:33 a.m.

Mt Seymour Park is open for day use, according to the BC Parks website.

http://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/mt_seymour/

June 3, 2020, 10:29 p.m.

And we're back to our regular programming. Fromme lot was full at 5:30 with a line of cars waiting to park.

Last edited by: D_C_ on June 3, 2020, 10:30 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 4, 2020, 8:56 a.m.

everyone back to shuttling Seymour and Cypress....  unfortunately 95% of people not wearing masks.  Not very smart people.

June 4, 2020, 8:56 a.m.

Posted by: D_C_

And we're back to our regular programming. Fromme lot was full at 5:30 with a line of cars waiting to park.

Yeah that was crazy....but I don't think we are back to regular at all!  I don't think I've ever seen it so lined up, certainly not on a week day.

Like I said previously: "The big question is whether this explosion in mountain biking and hiking will die down as things gradually return to "normal" or if a lot of people will now have made it a new part of their daily routines.  If that is the case, I hope our local governments are ready to quickly respond to this increased demand."

June 4, 2020, 10:28 a.m.

The North Shore mountains will be very busy as long as the bike park remains closed. I think the bike park took a ton of pressure off the other riding areas from June-Sept. I always found the Shore to be very quiet on the weekends in the summer as most people were either at the bike park or travelling to different further out areas to ride. Will be a much different story this year. Would be nice if they can come up with some sort of working solution rather than just getting angry that too many people are out and trying to shut things down (parking, etc.).

June 4, 2020, 12:24 p.m.

Posted by: Xorrox

Posted by: D_C_

Yeah that was crazy....but I don't think we are back to regular at all! I don't think I've ever seen it so lined up, certainly not on a week day.

Like I said previously: "The big question is whether this explosion in mountain biking and hiking will die down as things gradually return to "normal" or if a lot of people will now have made it a new part of their daily routines. If that is the case, I hope our local governments are ready to quickly respond to this increased demand."

I suspect people are driving themselves rather than carpooling to a larger degree than pre-covid. So that could also be a contributor to car traffic.

Last edited by: D_C_ on June 4, 2020, 12:24 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 4, 2020, 1:14 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

everyone back to shuttling Seymour and Cypress....  unfortunately 95% of people not wearing masks.  Not very smart people.

Had my kid in emergency at Lionsgate on Monday. The place was empty, never had such great medical treatment so fast. Doctor said that they haven't seen any covid cases there for weeks. Of course that can change pretty quick.

Was pretty weird going in there, was like a scene from the movie contagion with Matt Damon.

June 5, 2020, 5:59 a.m.

Tons of huge shuttle groups on Seymour last night, it was insane

There was a train of about 15 people exiting Boogie when I rode past.

June 5, 2020, 8:50 a.m.

lots of vehicles on Cypress last night but trails were empty and lots of nice new stuff up there.  Cheers to the builders!

June 7, 2020, 1:59 p.m.

Too bad Metro Vancouver didn't just keep the parking at Lynn headwaters closed for the summer. What a gong show, the road is way too narrow for cars, walkers, dogs, strollers and everything else. Witnessed two guys almost in a fight over a parking spot riding thru there today. What a mess.

June 7, 2020, 5:01 p.m.

So busy on Cypress today! Likely to stay that way until Whistler opens.

June 7, 2020, 10:04 p.m.

Squamish was busier than I have ever seen it. Seems like most people were headed up to Mikayla's trail. So cool to see so many young kids and families out riding.