North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

May 26, 2020, 5:55 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

While it’s not “essential” The staff at Anthropologie are probably glad the store is open. 

How many jobs does the Fromme lot support?

Dog walking?

May 26, 2020, 6:13 p.m.

I might be wrong but I don’t think the Fromme lot being closed would put any dog walkers out of work.

May 26, 2020, 6:24 p.m.

Got an email back from the DNV. They will look at re-opening after June 1.

Thank you for your E-mail which was forwarded to the Parks Department. On June 1, BC Parks will re-open Mt. Seymour Park roadways and parking, along with Metro Vancouver's Lynn Headwaters and Lower Seymour Conservation Area parking areas. After that process is complete, the District will move to re-open Fromme Mountain parking area. We appreciate your patience as we work through the re-opening strategy for park facilities in the District.

So that means June 2 right? I'll hold my breath!

Last edited by: Kieran on May 26, 2020, 6:24 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 26, 2020, 6:25 p.m.

Sarcasm meter?

May 26, 2020, 7:11 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Sarcasm meter?

I had a feeling. Covering my bases for those that would take that seriously.

May 26, 2020, 7:59 p.m.

Posted by: Kieran

Thank you for your E-mail which was forwarded to the Parks Department. On June 1, BC Parks will re-open Mt. Seymour Park roadways and parking, along with Metro Vancouver's Lynn Headwaters and Lower Seymour Conservation Area parking areas. After that process is complete, the District will move to re-open Fromme Mountain parking area. We appreciate your patience as we work through the re-opening strategy for park facilities in the District.

That would be great news. This is coming from a guy who rides to the trails. All the DNV needs to do is look at a sunny evening at the Braemer tennis court access to realize that spreading out the herd is the smart thing to do.  I’m not talking about parking, just the huge increase in bikers and hikers that have been funneled on to a single - single track trail to access the network.

May 26, 2020, 8:01 p.m.

That would be great news. This is coming from a guy who rides to the trails. All the DNV needs to do is look at a sunny evening at the Braemer tennis court access to realize that spreading out the herd is the smart thing to do.  I’m not talking about parking, just the huge increase in bikers and hikers that have been funneled on to a single - single track trail to access the network. But this is the district that believes fire protection includes leaving swaths of wood chips on the forest floor  ;)

May 26, 2020, 10:58 p.m.

I’m hearing it means around June 8th. Better late than never I suppose.

Last edited by: Xorrox on May 26, 2020, 10:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2020, 7:27 a.m.

That sucks. They were quick enough to get everything closed down in a few days but re-opening is more of a challenge? Fuckers. Reminds me of oil companies wacking up the price of gas at the hint of a crude oil spike but super slow to respond if it goes the other way.

I went up yesterday with my 7 year old and towed her up the MH. Not a favourable choice but thankfully the road was quiet as it was mid week.

May 27, 2020, 1:11 p.m.

Reopening in coordination with BC Parks/LSCR lots makes sense. With the other lots remaining closed, the Fromme lot would likely be flooded if it reopened first.

May 29, 2020, 3 p.m.

Thanks for the update guys. Will be happy to get the EASY access back!

...remember though if you are getting impatient, if you just throw your bike on your back and dash through the bush for a few mins you can get into the trail network on any of the mountains from any number of random places.

May 29, 2020, 8:33 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Reopening in coordination with BC Parks/LSCR lots makes sense. With the other lots remaining closed, the Fromme lot would likely be flooded if it reopened first.

Fromme has already been flooded.

The amount of Loam lines that that have appeared over the last few months is hair raising. Heat maps are not helping this at all.

Old hiking lines have become a mess.

May 30, 2020, 5:50 a.m.

Posted by: Jimmy-James

Thanks for the update guys. Will be happy to get the EASY access back!

...remember though if you are getting impatient, if you just throw your bike on your back and dash through the bush for a few mins you can get into the trail network on any of the mountains from any number of random places.

That’s some good advice.

May 30, 2020, 7:45 a.m.

Posted by: Silk

Posted by: D_C_

Fromme has already been flooded.

The amount of Loam lines that that have appeared over the last few months is hair raising. Heat maps are not helping this at all.

Old hiking lines have become a mess.

Ya chatting with Digger the other day, the DNV is pissed about all the new loamers that have appeared. The exits and entrances are so obvious, no one bothers to walk in and walk out of them anymore. Think it may affect future building projects. The DNV can just say no so easily.

May 30, 2020, 1:45 p.m.

Might be stating the obvious but seems to me that the increase in unsanctioned loamers is a direct result of the lack of new trails on Fromme and Seymour. As a comparison Squamish had 5 new sanctioned trails last year. Did the Shore have any?