North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

May 19, 2020, 12:44 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

It's funny/disappointing how restaurants are being opened before outdoor activities.

Shopping malls open today. I'm sure that won't be a shit show. I don't even use the Fromme lot but have to say how the local govt cherry picks which lots can and can't be open is laughable.

May 20, 2020, 5:54 p.m.

2 new cases out of 3.5 million people in BC...some feeble pandemic.

May 20, 2020, 6:41 p.m.

Posted by: brente

2 new cases out of 3.5 million people in BC...some feeble pandemic.

And your point is?

BC done quite well with prevention. They're slowly opening things up again, if numbers stay low then restrictions will be further reduced.

May 20, 2020, 7:42 p.m.

It's a troll account, just ignore it.

May 20, 2020, 8:43 p.m.

Wading in there now... Lol   (Btw hope you're well Syncro)

May 20, 2020, 8:43 p.m.

Cheers dude.

May 22, 2020, 1:09 p.m.

I sent emails to both DNV and BC Parks asking about various continued closures including the Fromme Parking Lot (DNV) and the Old Buck Parking lot and Seymour Trails (BC Parks) and got 0 answers. :(

If anyone else cares about this, please also send some emails of your own. BC Parks seems to be an especially opaque organization and I'm not sure I even had the correct email addresses for the people in charge. If anyone wants further information on what I said and who I sent it to feel free to send me a message.

The chances of further Covid spread occurring from opening the Fromme Parking Lot and the Old Buck Parking lot and Seymour Trails is pretty much as low as possible so I really don't understand the reluctance to re-open these.

It seems as if there are a lot of people on both sides of the spectrum (both the Covidiots and the irrationally fearful) who are not following the science and what our excellent BC Provincial Medical Health officer is saying.

Last edited by: Xorrox on May 22, 2020, 1:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 22, 2020, 6:15 p.m.

Who is the ultimate decision maker regarding this stuff? Like is the upper management individuals of BC Parks the ones that have full authority to open and close things? Or is this coming from the highest levels of the provincial government?

May 22, 2020, 11:54 p.m.

I had an infection and my fuckin' idiot doctor prescribed anti-biotics.

Well after three fuckin' days of taking it, it went away.  What a stupid doctor.

-- brente

May 23, 2020, 12:09 a.m.

Posted by: Xorrox

Im not sure I even had the correct email addresses for the people in charge.

https://nsmba.ca/contact-us/

See links for BC Parks and DNV.

May 25, 2020, 7:56 p.m.

BC Parks says Seymour and Cypress will reopen next Monday, June 1:

http://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/mt_seymour/

http://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/cypress/

- Phase 2 Protected Areas allow camping opportunities in frontcountry and backcountry

- Not all facilities and services may be operational.

- Details on what services will be available will be posted as they become available.

Last edited by: PaulB on May 25, 2020, 7:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 26, 2020, 7:01 a.m.

Finally! 

Now all we need is for DNV to open the Fromme Parking lot.  They never did get back to me as to why this continues to be closed and opening this is one of the least risky things possible.  I don't think Fromme Parking lot is going to turn into another "Lake of the Ozarks" or "Trinity Bellwoods" situation ;)

All we need is a few more people to politely contact DNV about this to get it re-opened.  I know its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it just ticks me off when public organizations/governments act in irrational ways.

May 26, 2020, 9:37 a.m.

Posted by: Xorrox

Finally! 

Now all we need is for DNV to open the Fromme Parking lot.  They never did get back to me as to why this continues to be closed and opening this is one of the least risky things possible.  I don't think Fromme Parking lot is going to turn into another "Lake of the Ozarks" or "Trinity Bellwoods" situation ;)

All we need is a few more people to politely contact DNV about this to get it re-opened.  I know its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it just ticks me off when public organizations/governments act in irrational ways.

We managed to get the West Side Main FSR aka Black Tusk road opened up. It had been closed along with the East Side Main FSR which goes to the Cheakamus Lake trail in Garibaldi Park  The park is closed and there is forest fuel reduction logging taking place up there anyway. The road up to the Tusk is gated way down low so it’s not a reasonable access to the park. So there was no real reason to close that side which allows vehicle access for kayakers and hikers and riders who wish to go up the Loggers Lake etc. It also allows people to spread out as opposed to parking up and down the road in clusters as was happening. Well after a bunch of people questioning that, it has opened.

May 26, 2020, 2:43 p.m.

And if it's still an issue with keeping distancing a thing, plonk down one of those huge lego concrete retaining blocks in every second parking space.

Park Royal parking is fully open and I'm not seeing Anthropologie as a necessity though others may disagree, haha

May 26, 2020, 5:46 p.m.

While it’s not “essential” The staff at Anthropologie are probably glad the store is open. 

How many jobs does the Fromme lot support?