North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

May 14, 2020, 9:30 a.m.

The last time I was up on Seymour they still had a closed sign at the top of Corkscrew.  While I understand why they might not want vehicle access up the mountain (for the reason you mentioned), there is absolutely 0 reason to close trails.  At the very least, they should open all self powered trail access and the Old Buck parking lot.

May 14, 2020, 10:04 a.m.

Posted by: Xorrox

The last time I was up on Seymour they still had a closed sign at the top of Corkscrew. While I understand why they might not want vehicle access up the mountain (for the reason you mentioned), there is absolutely 0 reason to close trails. At the very least, they should open all self powered trail access and the Old Buck parking lot.

I agree with trail access, but that tiny section of Corkscrew is only closed because the park is closed. They aren't really enforcing that at all, because they know that none of the mountain bikers they let past the gate-check (and there are LOTS!) are coming back down the same way. They are mostly turning a blind eye, with regards to the Corkscrew access.

As for the parking lot, I don't necessarily agree. I think parking lots are the highest risk areas, when it comes to the people being outdoors. The Safeway 2 blocks down has tonnes of parking, even allowing extra spots between cars in most cases, as has been the case since the park closure.

Last edited by: mammal on May 14, 2020, 10:08 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 14, 2020, 10:26 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

As for the parking lot, I don't necessarily agree. I think parking lots are the highest risk areas, when it comes to the people being outdoors. The Safeway 2 blocks down has tonnes of parking, even allowing extra spots between cars in most cases, as has been the case since the park closure.

Outdoor parking lots really aren't a legitimate risk area aside from if a bunch of guys decide to hang out together outside their cars. IMO, the risk areas with provincial parks are primarily the bathroom facilities. 

I live downtown in a high-rise condo building and have generally been "social distancing" as much as possible but there are still inevitably numerous situations where you come relatively close to other people... lobbies, elevators (although most people are pretty good about limiting people in them), going to the grocery store, going to the drug store, going to the liquor store, walking on the sidewalk, etc. Outdoor parking lot ranks pretty low on the risk list IMO.

May 14, 2020, 6:30 p.m.

http://www.vch.ca/Documents/facility-outbreak-bulletin.pdf

Does anyone fancy a visit to LGH this long weekend?

May 18, 2020, 8:08 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Doesn’t matter where the city gets their money it’s the homeowners that are out of pocket

How much does North Van actually spend to maintain Fromme on an annual basis? I'm going to guess that no more than $10 of your annual property taxes goes to funding Fromme.

Also, do you never go to other areas outside of North Van and use their parking/park/etc? Using your logic I should probably go stand outside Stanley Park and give people a hard time who aren't Vancouver homeowners.

You don’t fucking get it do you, I am focussing on what comes out of the homeowners pocket not the fucking city.This is entirely about the homeowner, once again nothing to do with the fucking city. If you pay thousands of dollars every year on your property taxes wouldn’t you like to be able to park in front of your fucking house.

You can park in your yard. You don't own the streets every tax paying Canadian has the priveledge of utilizing our streets. It's a shame they are used as a parking lot.

May 18, 2020, 8:37 a.m.

BAHAHAHAHA!!! 

I haven't been on this board in years, and the first thing I see upon my return... Dudes STILL fighting over mountain highway parking?? Is is 2005?? Lol aww it's good to be back 😁

May 18, 2020, 8:41 a.m.

Oh ya, the question I came here for, I  guess the fromme parking lot ISNT open yet?

May 18, 2020, 9:13 a.m.

Posted by: Jimmy-James

BAHAHAHAHA!!! 

I haven't been on this board in years, and the first thing I see upon my return... Dudes STILL fighting over mountain highway parking?? Is is 2005?? Lol aww it's good to be back 😁

Duuuuude, wait till you see what’s going on in the water fountain thread.

May 19, 2020, 10:04 a.m.

Oh ya, the question I came here for, I  guess the fromme parking lot ISNT open yet?

District website still says "Unknown" beside the anticipated opening date.

May 19, 2020, 10:27 a.m.

Posted by: Xorrox

District website still says "Unknown" beside the anticipated opening date.

So weird.. rode over Cleveland dam on Sunday aft. Whole lot was jammed full of cars and people galore.

May 19, 2020, 11:34 a.m.

Yep, it makes no sense. I hope it is just that they (DNV) have too much on their plate right now and will be opening the parking lot shortly. Nothing in the Provincial and local Medical Health Officers guidelines have ever recommended or dictated that parks, parking lots, trails or any other outdoor facilities be closed. Other than when there are NSMBA Fivers, I've never seen crowds of people gathering in the Fromme parking lot either.

More and more evidence indicates that we could slow / stop the spread of Covid if we all just spent more time outside where natural ventilation keeps concentrations of the virus way lower than in indoor settings. Governments should be working to open up more areas for outdoor recreation, not less.

Last edited by: Xorrox on May 19, 2020, 11:54 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 19, 2020, 11:40 a.m.

It's funny/disappointing how restaurants are being opened before outdoor activities.

May 19, 2020, 12:02 p.m.

That one is easy, bars and restaurants employ people, therefore contributing to the economy. Parks and outdoor stuff not so much.

Last edited by: FLATCH on May 19, 2020, 12:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 19, 2020, 12:06 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

http://www.vch.ca/Documents/facility-outbreak-bulletin.pdf

Does anyone fancy a visit to LGH this long weekend?

Yup, Neuro unit. Watch your noggin people! Hospitals are quiet which is great, but before people hit the Full Send button, consider the impending loooong wait times for non electives.

May 19, 2020, 12:27 p.m.

That one is easy, bars and restaurants employ people, therefore contributing to the economy. Parks and outdoor stuff not so much.

I looked into this a bit, because it’s my industry and I’ve always had a feeling that hospitality is a big one here but wanted to know the numbers. 

3rd largest private sector employer

190,000 direct jobs

180,000 jobs lost

If I were the regulator I know where I’d be focusing.