North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

May 12, 2020, 6:01 p.m.

Posted by: gramm

Posted by: tashi

Cause not everyone lives close enough or may not have enough time to easily ride to trails....

You can park further away and...

...wait for it...

...ride your bike to the trailhead!

I’ve only ridden Fromme a handful of times in the last 25 years and EVERY time this is what Ive done. With a dog. And it’s been easy.

Gee really ??  i wasn't sure if that was what you were trying to get across....riding to the trailhead...(esarc)

if you have only ridden Fromme a handful of times in last 25 years then why are you on here commenting about this ??  And the power to you what if that is what you like to do, not all want to or should have too.

All parking further away does is move this so called issue of parking in front of peoples houses to another area....

My point is streets are for all, not just the residents of the area for parking.

Curious, do you own a house?

May 12, 2020, 6:08 p.m.

Provincial parks, everybody’s tax dollars go to that.

Regional or municipal parks are paid for by property owners. Municipal roads and maintenance are paid for by property owners. Unless you pay property tax annually I think some of you should reconsider your points of view.

May 12, 2020, 7:08 p.m.

Also: on street parking in residential areas actually IS primarily for the residents and their guests. If you don’t believe me, ask city hall.  And the meter maids.

Last edited by: tashi on May 12, 2020, 8 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 12, 2020, 7:58 p.m.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-parking-tickets-bylaws-signs-adanac-1.5493885

Had a neighbor few years back that would call CNV all the time when people parked in front of his house. Have them ticketed, thought it was an asswipe move.

May 12, 2020, 8:16 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Cause not everyone lives close enough or may not have enough time to easily ride to trails....

...wait for it...

I’ve only ridden Fromme a handful of times in the last 25 years and EVERY time this is what Ive done. With a dog. And it’s been easy.

Gee really ??  i wasn't sure if that was what you were trying to get across....riding to the trailhead...(esarc)

if you have only ridden Fromme a handful of times in last 25 years then why are you on here commenting about this ??  And the power to you what if that is what you like to do, not all want to or should have too.

All parking further away does is move this so called issue of parking in front of peoples houses to another area....

My point is streets are for all, not just the residents of the area for parking.

Really? Tell that to the residents who live above Coleman.

How about the ones that live on Coleman and below now ? All it’s done is shift it.

May 12, 2020, 8:18 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

...wait for it...

Yep, in DNV 

Seeing as sometimes I like to use Metro Van amenities too and park on their streets I’m happy if they do here as well when in the area.

May 12, 2020, 9:40 p.m.

Yup, and if you are riding solo, you can ride from home. I live in the W. End and it takes about 75 minutes from Davie Street area to Braemar area. When I lived in N. Burnaby it took about the same amount of time. Riding to Fromme parking lot is insane if you are trying to climb Mountain Highway. As has been mentioned though, there are other routes up there if needed. And when I am not feeling like riding the entire thing, I will often catch a bus up. Braemar has service almost to the trailhead. And the bus up Mountain Highway takes care of some of the pain if you want to go to Fromme.

May 13, 2020, 4:07 a.m.

...wait for it...

Gee really ?? i wasn't sure if that was what you were trying to get across....riding to the trailhead...(esarc)

if you have only ridden Fromme a handful of times in last 25 years then why are you on here commenting about this ?? And the power to you what if that is what you like to do, not all want to or should have too.

Yep, in DNV

Seeing as sometimes I like to use Metro Van amenities too and park on their streets I’m happy if they do here as well when in the area.

Then you should understand that when you pay thousands a year in taxes how some may be pissed off when six months a year they come home from work and can’t park anywhere near their house. So much of this me me me attitude.

Last edited by: FLATCH on May 13, 2020, 4:08 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 13, 2020, 10:28 a.m.

Part of the gig for living near a trailhead imo. Small price to pay to live close to the amenities.

District/City get revenue from other sources than just homeowners. City gets less half of their revenue from homeowners.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on May 13, 2020, 10:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 13, 2020, 10:54 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Part of the gig for living near a trailhead imo. Small price to pay to live close to the amenities.

This ^^  

me me me attitude seems to be coming from the ones that want exclusive parking out in front of their house.....most houses up higher in Lynn Valley have pretty nice garages and driveways.

May 13, 2020, 11 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

District/City get revenue from other sources than just homeowners. City gets less half of their revenue from homeowners.

Doesn’t matter where the city gets their money it’s the homeowners that are out of pocket

May 13, 2020, 11:13 a.m.

In Vancouver its not all that difficult to get permit parking installed on your street.  Our block had to do it recently, as the traffic from a nearby community centre and farmers market was making the traffic pretty bad. Making the situation worse was that all surrounding blocks already had permit parking in place, so all the traffic got funneled onto our street. If you left the house in the morning, you'd be guaranteed not to get a spot when your returned in the afternoon. All that needs to be done is to apply to the city asking for the process to begin, the city then petitions all houses on the block and if >50% vote to install permits, the city will do it (eventually).  Vancouver also has the parking bylaw that you cannot park on a residential street (where you arent a resident) for >3hrs. There are many instances of people being ticketed and towed for parking in front of someones house who didnt like it. Is there the same bylaw in NV?

May 13, 2020, 11:18 a.m.

Doesn’t matter where the city gets their money it’s the homeowners that are out of pocket

How much does North Van actually spend to maintain Fromme on an annual basis? I'm going to guess that no more than $10 of your annual property taxes goes to funding Fromme.

Also, do you never go to other areas outside of North Van and use their parking/park/etc? Using your logic I should probably go stand outside Stanley Park and give people a hard time who aren't Vancouver homeowners.

May 13, 2020, 11:24 a.m.

Original Fromme RPO was put in because some Mountain Bikers were acting like assholes.  It was also an increasingly small number of spots (less streets) and a growing user base.  Some evenings and weekends it was a real shit show up there and the residents (understandably) complained.

Now the latest Covid restrictions are to try and thin the surge of crowds all trying to access the same trail access points.  Before they were put in (at least what I witnessed at Hyannis trail entrances) there were incredibly busy chokepoints making physical distancing near impossible.  Add to that some of the same bad behavior witnessed when the Fromme RPO happened and it wasn't a great scene.  

Seems like the parking restrictions have been fairly effective so far, chokepoints are better.  Crowding seems better as people have figured out to ride their bikes in from a few blocks away.  Not seeing much bad behavior (Bros with lawnchair beers seem to have figured out to go away first).  Until we have a vaccine for Covid, this is the new normal so get used to it.

May 13, 2020, 12:31 p.m.

Then you should understand that when you pay thousands a year in taxes how some may be pissed off when six months a year they come home from work and can’t park anywhere near their house. So much of this me me me attitude.

You got me dying...residents can't park anywhere near their house 6 months out of the year???  Space is at a premium now.  We should all be nice and respectful to each other.  The parking lot will open again :-)