North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

May 12, 2020, 9:10 a.m.

I can’t find any reference to Fromme being a park.

May 12, 2020, 9:11 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Posted by: gramm

Posted by: tashi

Houses near mountain biking spots aren’t going anywhere so mountain bikers are going to have to get used to people caring how they behave outside their homes.

I wish I could rep u for that. Mountain biking is a privilege not a right. Some need to remember this.

Mountain biking may be a privilege, but access to our parks is a right to any citizen and street parking is not owned by the homeowner in front despite what they may think.

When did Fromme become a provincial park?

I never said it was a "provincial" park; there are many different park designations and people have a right to access them.

and as some have said, Fromme is not actually a park, even though it seems to be managed by DNV as one.  Looking on DNV website it appears to be surplus DNV lands up until the Grouse lands.....still why should residents get to keep people out with NIMBY parking restrictions on roads they dont own?

Last edited by: gramm on May 12, 2020, 9:22 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 12, 2020, 9:23 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

I can’t find any reference to Fromme being a park.

i was wrong with it being an actual park.

May 12, 2020, 10:12 a.m.

Houses near mountain biking spots aren’t going anywhere so mountain bikers are going to have to get used to people caring how they behave outside their homes.

I wish I could rep u for that. Mountain biking is a privilege not a right. Some need to remember this.

Mountain biking may be a privilege, but access to our parks is a right to any citizen and street parking is not owned by the homeowner in front despite what they may think.

I never said it was a "provincial" park; there are many different park designations and people have a right to access them.

and as some have said, Fromme is not actually a park, even though it seems to be managed by DNV as one.  Looking on DNV website it appears to be surplus DNV lands up until the Grouse lands.....still why should residents get to keep people out with NIMBY parking restrictions on roads they dont own?

Why do you think residential parking restrictions will keep people out?

May 12, 2020, 10:29 a.m.

Cause not everyone lives close enough or may not have enough time to easily ride to trails....

May 12, 2020, 10:38 a.m.

Go ask the residents of Riverside drive. The parking is a mile from the trailhead between April and October which I think is lame. A way around it is you can aquire a hiking/parking pass from DNV city hall. Was talking to a guy doing the ticketing when riding thru a while back, he gave me the info.

May 12, 2020, 12:06 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Most excellent point.  Too bad there are too many that abuse that privilege and come up with the dumbest reasons as justification for the abuse.

Yup. And if a friend can't get this it's up to us, their peers, to remind them.

Our weekly climb begins right under the University faculty housing, and they are a crotchety bunch. A new guy started talking loudly and swearing right fucking there on yesterday's ride. We had to tell him to shush repeatedly but he finally looked up at the people on the balconies above scowling down at him and a dim light bulb blinked on.

May 12, 2020, 12:22 p.m.

Cause not everyone lives close enough or may not have enough time to easily ride to trails....

Anyone can drive from anywhere and park an easy pedalling distance away dispersing the issue, covid or not.

May 12, 2020, 2:22 p.m.

You can park further away and...

...wait for it...

...ride your bike to the trailhead!

I’ve only ridden Fromme a handful of times in the last 25 years and EVERY time this is what Ive done. With a dog. And it’s been easy.

May 12, 2020, 2:38 p.m.

...wait for it...

I’ve only ridden Fromme a handful of times in the last 25 years and EVERY time this is what Ive done. With a dog. And it’s been easy.

now try it with a 6 yr old.

it's neither easy, fun or particularly safe.

the NSMBA slogan is trails for all,  trails forever.  (yes we have a family membership)

the closing of the parking lot and the growing neighbourhood parking restrictions is making it harder for those that make mountain biking a family activity.

the numbers in BC are encouraging and the govt has introduced plans for opening up the province, it would be nice to know what the DNV has planned.

May 12, 2020, 2:47 p.m.

Whelp, I guess you’re fucked. Absolutely zero other ways for your family to go mountain biking I guess.

May 12, 2020, 3:12 p.m.

...wait for it...

Gee really ??  i wasn't sure if that was what you were trying to get across....riding to the trailhead...(esarc)

if you have only ridden Fromme a handful of times in last 25 years then why are you on here commenting about this ??  And the power to you what if that is what you like to do, not all want to or should have too.

All parking further away does is move this so called issue of parking in front of peoples houses to another area....

My point is streets are for all, not just the residents of the area for parking.

May 12, 2020, 3:41 p.m.

I’ve ridden there enough to understand the issue.  Good luck with your parking “problem”

Last edited by: tashi on May 12, 2020, 3:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 12, 2020, 5:53 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

City hall listens to their ratepayers over non-ratepayers every time.

Local business have a huge say and a good chunk of ratepayers are riders as well.  How many residents besides MC complain on a regular basis?  DNV doesn't manage all the land either.

They are not going to shut down riding... it's just impossible.  

People like to complain, especially in NV.  The center of NIMBY'ism.

I agree that they aren't likely to shut down riding. DNV has (and will) shutdown parking as a result of resident complaints about poor behaviour by MTBers though.

May 12, 2020, 5:55 p.m.

...wait for it...

Gee really ??  i wasn't sure if that was what you were trying to get across....riding to the trailhead...(esarc)

if you have only ridden Fromme a handful of times in last 25 years then why are you on here commenting about this ??  And the power to you what if that is what you like to do, not all want to or should have too.

All parking further away does is move this so called issue of parking in front of peoples houses to another area....

My point is streets are for all, not just the residents of the area for parking.

Really? Tell that to the residents who live above Coleman.