North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

May 11, 2020, 12:31 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Posted by: tashi

Houses near mountain biking spots aren’t going anywhere so mountain bikers are going to have to get used to people caring how they behave outside their homes.

no matter what bikers/hikers do, the residents don't want people up there.  That's pretty clear and how it's always been.  It's the sheer numbers I would say that's causing the issue. They can't ban people going up there and even if they do, think it's going to stop anyone? Ban all the parking except locals?  E-bike sales will go through the roof and people will find other routes in.  DNV isn't going to ban mtb's...  too much $, even when the 1% email in to the mayor and council.

I keep telling people how great Squamish is.

I was just on Fromme for a late morning ride, there was no one around. This is a weekend thing that will clear up once the fromm  lot and other parks open up again. All the intagrammers will be back at Quarry rock.

I feel lucky I live near the trailheads, is Lynn valley a gong show even moreso on weekends currently? Ya for sure but in the grand scheme of things it's nothing. Try hitting the beach or greenspace in the Los Angeles area on a weekend, it's full mayhem.

May 11, 2020, 1:12 p.m.

Houses near mountain biking spots aren’t going anywhere so mountain bikers are going to have to get used to people caring how they behave outside their homes.

I wish I could rep u for that. Mountain biking is a privilege not a right. Some need to remember this.

Last edited by: FLATCH on May 11, 2020, 1:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 11, 2020, 2:39 p.m.

City hall listens to their ratepayers over non-ratepayers every time.

Local business have a huge say and a good chunk of ratepayers are riders as well.  How many residents besides MC complain on a regular basis?  DNV doesn't manage all the land either.

They are not going to shut down riding... it's just impossible.  

People like to complain, especially in NV.  The center of NIMBY'ism.

May 11, 2020, 2:45 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

I wish I could rep u for that. Mountain biking is a privilege not a right. Some need to remember this.

Most excellent point.  Too bad there are too many that abuse that privilege and come up with the dumbest reasons as justification for the abuse.

May 11, 2020, 2:55 p.m.

Also interesting that the districts have closed parking lots and parks / beaches which are free to access, yet seem completely fine with opening golf courses and have no issue with those parking lots being jammed when a substantial fee is involved....

May 11, 2020, 2:56 p.m.

Mountain biking may be a privilege, but access to our parks is a right to any citizen and street parking is not owned by the homeowner in front despite what they may think.

May 11, 2020, 2:58 p.m.

Posted by: MaxRockatansky

Also interesting that the districts have closed parking lots and parks / beaches which are free to access, yet seem completely fine with opening golf courses and have no issue with those parking lots being jammed when a substantial fee is involved....

and shopping mall parking....basically parking everywhere except access to outdoor areas, assbackwards....

May 11, 2020, 3:25 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

City hall listens to their ratepayers over non-ratepayers every time.

Local business have a huge say and a good chunk of ratepayers are riders as well.  How many residents besides MC complain on a regular basis?  DNV doesn't manage all the land either.

They are not going to shut down riding... it's just impossible.  

People like to complain, especially in NV.  The center of NIMBY'ism.

I haven’t said anything about shutting down mountain biking. 

I’ve been talking about parking. 

Homeowners definitely have an influence on the parking regulations around their home, you’re fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

May 11, 2020, 9:09 p.m.

Dempsey Braemar area could be next for parking regulations but surprised it hasn't happened yet as the number of people there is insane.  Maybe homeowners don't have that much influence?  Changing people's behavior isn't going to happen... always going to a few.

May 11, 2020, 9:46 p.m.

Posted by: gramm

Mountain biking may be a privilege, but access to our parks is a right to any citizen and street parking is not owned by the homeowner in front despite what they may think.

Sure, but neither the fact that they're in front of someone's house and not actually on their property, nor the fact they are parking there to go to a park and not mountain bike, gives a person unrestricted rights to being an obnoxious douchebag either, regardless.

Last edited by: Kenny on May 11, 2020, 9:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 12, 2020, 4:11 a.m.

When did Fromme become a provincial park?

May 12, 2020, 7:21 a.m.

Public parking in the Dempsey/Braemar area has been restricted to the north side of Braemar for quite a few weeks now. Residents only on the south side. It's been busy, but when the packed up cars are focused across the road from the residents, that at least provides a bit of a buffer. And the packed area doesn't extend too far away - you can park 300 meters down the road and have all the room you want.

May 12, 2020, 8:10 a.m.

Probably around the time convenient parking became a right.

May 12, 2020, 8:11 a.m.

Fromme is most certainly a park. It's under the DNV, not a provincial park.

May 12, 2020, 8:41 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

Fromme is most certainly a park. It's under the DNV, not a provincial park.

FLATCH didn't say that Fromme isn't a park, just questioned the idea it is a provincial park