North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

May 7, 2020, 1:52 p.m.

Burke is going to be a gong show!

May 7, 2020, 3:03 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Burke is going to be a gong show!

And Alice Lake...

May 7, 2020, 3:15 p.m.

As it says in the article I posted above, it's kind of ironic how they are approaching this. They are telling you they are opening the provincial parks and encouraging you to go out and enjoy the outdoors... but they want you to stay near where you live to do so... yet they are keeping all the main parks close to major population centers closed. So instead of Vancouverites being spread out amongst multiple parks now everyone is going to head to Alice Lake for example... 

And haven't they stated multiple times that people aren't getting the virus simply by walking by someone outdoors? I can see the closing Joffre Lakes for example since it's just like one single file path up the mountain, but not getting the rationale for Seymour and Cypress.

May 7, 2020, 3:24 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

As it says in the article I posted above, it's kind of ironic how they are approaching this. They are telling you they are opening the provincial parks and encouraging you to go out and enjoy the outdoors... but they want you to stay near where you live to do so... yet they are keeping all the main parks close to major population centers closed. So instead of Vancouverites being spread out amongst multiple parks now everyone is going to head to Alice Lake for example... 

And haven't they stated multiple times that people aren't getting the virus simply by walking by someone outdoors? I can see the closing Joffre Lakes for example since it's just like one single file path up the mountain, but not getting the rationale for Seymour and Cypress.

I think it has more to do with the congregations at trailheads/parking than in the actual park itself?  That would seem like the areas of concern for me. Opening Alice Lake is a huge mistake in my opinion. Im sure Squamish still doesnt want visitors right now. The entire Lower Mainland might show up on their doorstep this weekend. :(

May 7, 2020, 3:45 p.m.

Posted by: cooperquinn

Park here

There's *TONS* of room, and you're not in anyone's driveway, and you're directly on dirt.

win-win-win.

Extra win... navigating through the Blair Range Project is always entertaining the first couple, or three, times.

May 7, 2020, 4:57 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Im sure Squamish still doesnt want visitors right now. The entire Lower Mainland might show up on their doorstep this weekend. :(

Hmmm, the main reason for remaining in your own community was so the local health services weren't overwhelmed by injured mountain bikers...not  specifically on fear of out-of-towners spreading COVID (IIRC).

Now that the risk of transmitting COVID whilst outside has been acknowledged as negligible, is the travel restriction still justified? 

Granted, as much as I'd like to ride somewhere other than the North Shore as I need a change of scenery, I don't think I'll bother going to Squamish over the long weekend as it WILL be a gong show but I will go up there shortly afterwards...

May 7, 2020, 5:40 p.m.

I'd like to see the skillz parks opened up at least. My kids are going crazy.

May 7, 2020, 7:27 p.m.

You can't keep everyone happy. I am sure the govt. consulted with their experts. Someone is always going to be upset about the decisions made.

May 7, 2020, 9:12 p.m.

There were a lot of riders on Seymour tonight.  From the exit places, seemed like most were pedaling there.

May 8, 2020, 9:13 a.m.

DNV ziptied no-parking signs last night up Coleman Street on Mtn Hwy

May 8, 2020, 10:13 a.m.

I've heard rumblings that the Mayor and several Counselor's of DNV are NOT in favour of Mtbing, and have an hidden agenda to stop supporting trail maintenance and funding. Dr. Bonnie Henry is promoting outdoor activities, BC government is about to open up parks. Is this an attempt from DNV to use Covid 19 to further their agenda? Seem weird that they're having more parking restrictions at this stage.

May 8, 2020, 10:22 a.m.

Posted by: Ouch

I've heard rumblings that the Mayor and several Counselor's of DNV are NOT in favour of Mtbing, and have an hidden agenda to stop supporting trail maintenance and funding. Dr. Bonnie Henry is promoting outdoor activities, BC government is about to open up parks. Is this an attempt from DNV to use Covid 19 to further their agenda? Seem weird that they're having more parking restrictions at this stage.

I'd prefer to think they're just being proactive before a weekend which will have the best weather of the year so far, during which lots of people will be looking to get out of their hot homes.  There are plenty of other places to park that will only add 10 - 20 minutes to a ride.

On the other hand, if I worked for BC Parks, and was noting the number of people that are knowingly ignoring park/trail closed signs, I'd be pretty unimpressed as a land manager.

Last edited by: PaulB on May 8, 2020, 10:25 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
May 8, 2020, 12:03 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

I'd prefer to think they're just being proactive before a weekend which will have the best weather of the year so far, during which lots of people will be looking to get out of their hot homes.  There are plenty of other places to park that will only add 10 - 20 minutes to a ride.

On the other hand, if I worked for BC Parks, and was noting the number of people that are knowingly ignoring park/trail closed signs, I'd be pretty unimpressed as a land manager.

I could see about the long weekend (I forgot about that) parking restrictions, but the other rumblings about trail maintenance and funding is still a BIG concern.

May 8, 2020, 12:16 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

it's easy for a lot of folks to say, 'who cares about the parking lot' just park further away.  And that's fine with me when I'm alone, but anyone with young kids knows that pulling a youngster up mtn hwy sucks all the fun out of the day.

It's the inconsistencies of regulations that are really frustrating through this crisis.  Closing the parking lot has pushed more people to park in surrounding neighbourhoods, which just pisses off the residents. yet you can go down mtn hwy to the save on parking lot and it's packed.  What exactly is the difference?

May 8, 2020, 3:41 p.m.

So is the point of the parking restrictions to deter people from mountain biking or is it to stop bikers from annoying residents? If it's the latter, then what's the point of not allowing parking on the east side of Braemar (by Braemar park)? There aren't houses on either side of the street there so not sure why they currently aren't allowing parking on one side of the street.