North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

April 20, 2020, 12:43 p.m.

@switch, as I'd guess you're aware, BP is the only trail between Mt Seymour Road and Indian River Drive mountain bikes are allowed on. And that stretch of BP is currently closed to all users because its in Seymour Provincial Park.

If riders are saying there's no signage about riding trails in that area (even when the park is open) they're either fibbing, or experiencing periods of blindness they should discuss with a doctor, as it sounds hazardous to have happen while mountain biking.

I'd also suggest that whoever is throwing my name around over there is either doing so in jest, or to be harmful. Hopefully its the former.

April 20, 2020, 2:28 p.m.

Whenever I talk to rangers I introduce myself as one of three names: Cooper, Jerry or Eamonn.

April 20, 2020, 2:44 p.m.

Posted by: switch

A rider on the east side of Seymour said Cooper Quinn told him he could ride there. He said MTBers built and maintain the trails there.

Numerous other riders have said there are no signs indicating that MTB is not allowed on east Seymour trails, or that it's sanctioned.

The MTB traffic on Indian River (riders returning to the Old Buck / Park gate area) is high. Walking back from BP a few days ago, I was passed by more than 20 riders in 20 minutes.

These trails are hiking trails and are getting worn much faster because of the increases in MTBers in the last couple of years, with steeper sections taking the worst hit.

funny cause you said that MTB's are not allowed on Coconut because hikers built that trail which if fact is very false. Hikers have built nothing other than BP. You should come across more friendly next time and quit trying to pick fights... hikers should feel lucky so many trails are built by bikers... sanctioned or not. if you're the person I ran into.

You were also on trail with Covid signs on the entrances so your point is quite moot.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on April 20, 2020, 2:57 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 21, 2020, 8:10 p.m.

Posted by: cooperquinn

@switch, as I'd guess you're aware, BP is the only trail between Mt Seymour Road and Indian River Drive mountain bikes are allowed on. And that stretch of BP is currently closed to all users because its in Seymour Provincial Park.

If riders are saying there's no signage about riding trails in that area (even when the park is open) they're either fibbing, or experiencing periods of blindness they should discuss with a doctor, as it sounds hazardous to have happen while mountain biking.

I'd also suggest that whoever is throwing my name around over there is either doing so in jest, or to be harmful. Hopefully its the former.

It's not the former.

There's a lot of MTB occurring on the trails east of Mt. Seymour Road. The riders I run into typically state that the riding on those trails (such as E Trail, Mad Girls, Procrastination, Boundary, etc.) is allowed because of no signage, or that they do trail work so it's OK, or that they know you, or various other reasons.

The district has been putting traffic sensors on Indian River. They've also been putting road blocks because of the vehicles that are parking on the narrow part of Indian River between BP and the first big switchback.

With so many new MTB trails on the west side of Seymour, there's no excuse for riding the east side hiking trails. The NSMBA, the sponsors, and land owners have done an excellent job on the existing and new MTB trails, and they don't need that blemished by rogue riders wrecking hiking trails.

Thanks for your and the NSMBAs efforts and stewardship. It is much appreciated.

Last edited by: switch on April 21, 2020, 8:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 26, 2020, 10:59 p.m.

Well it happened today, I called bylaw on someone encroaching on a neighbors driveway...said neighbor was pissed and in the end, the vehicle was ticketed. Cars slammed bumper to bumper and this goof decided to be front-wheel forward onto someones driveway opening. Move down the road, onto another side-street where no one else is...

Smarten up people...and yes I know that the gracious readers of this website aren't the perpetrators of this dumbassness, but please speak up if you see someone doing something just plain stupid.  Many of my neighbors are writing and calling to complain to the DNV. If we want to keep riding, we need to be the most amazing/respectful/gracious trail users ever.

April 30, 2020, 2:49 p.m.

While running past the Old Buck parking lot today, I watched a couple literally ride over the "Park/Trail Closed" sign at the trail entrance.  Classy.

April 30, 2020, 6:16 p.m.

Don't you know...signs like that do not apply to people like them. Those signs are for other folks.

May 2, 2020, 7:21 p.m.

Many many thanks to all for respecting our trail closure on John Deer yesterday, not a single mtb'er or trail runner or dog walker ducked the rope or ignored signs.

We did have some hikers come up from the bottom though. Guess the signs didn't apply to them.

May 7, 2020, 8:29 a.m.

with the govt announcing an easing of restrictions yesterday, how long will it be until the district opens up the fromme parking lot?

at what point in the coming weeks does it become ok again to travel outside of your immediate area to go for a ride?

May 7, 2020, 9:35 a.m.

No Parking signs now up on Berkley (both sides) from Hyannis down to Sechelt. I keep seeing vehicles with tickets, so Bylaw are out in force.

As I mentioned earlier, spreading out parking and commuting a kilometre or two isn't the end of the world, and is less likely to piss off the neighbors.

May 7, 2020, 9:39 a.m.

Posted by: Taz123

No Parking signs now up on Berkley (both sides) from Hyannis down to Sechelt. I keep seeing vehicles with tickets, so Bylaw are out in force.

As I mentioned earlier, spreading out parking and commuting a kilometre or two isn't the end of the world, and is less likely to piss off the neighbors.

Is it best to just park in some random further away part of Blueridge or is there a better option? Hoping to ride Seymour tomorrow.

May 7, 2020, 10:38 a.m.

Yes, the best thought (thinking as a resident), find a random side street with only a few cars and park there and pedal up. If you find a side-street has lots of cars and you are having to pack in tight...go find another block to park. 

Its the bumper to bumper parking right up to the edge of (or spilling into) peoples driveways and street corners that are annoying people...and ultimately causing a hazard.

I am fully aware that those parking like idiots or speeding/weaving around the quiet side-streets are very likely not the ones on this forum. But I thought I should share the update and some recommendations.

May 7, 2020, 11:28 a.m.

Check that, the DNV is busy today - signs seem to be going up on all side-streets North of Sechelt.

May 7, 2020, 11:51 a.m.

Park here

There's *TONS* of room, and you're not in anyone's driveway, and you're directly on dirt.

win-win-win.

Last edited by: cooperquinn on May 7, 2020, 11:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 7, 2020, 1:12 p.m.

Bummer that neither Seymour or Cypress are scheduled to open next week when many other provincial parks are reopening: https://www.nsnews.com/news/no-plans-yet-to-reopen-parks-on-north-shore-1.24131012