North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

April 18, 2020, 8:55 a.m.

Posted by: PaulB

I have seen some impressively long rides on Strava by people starting from home, both on and off the Shore.

But thats what they are trying to encourage - don't drive and hang out in a crowded parking lot sharing high fives with everyone else.

Last edited by: heckler on April 18, 2020, 8:58 a.m., edited 4 times in total.
April 18, 2020, 10:31 a.m.

Posted by: PaulB

So far, all they've done on Braemar is put up "Residents Only" signs on the south side of the street. The north side was bumper-to-bumper (including some dudes having post-ride beers outside their camper van) when I rode by on Sunday afternoon. The Hyannis/Berkley area seems to be more restricted.

The top of Hyannis & Berkley at the trail head is a combo of no parking / residents only. A lot of the Hyannis/Berkley (includes Hill Dr, etc) area is residents only, some places both sides of the street, other places one side only. Another option to spread riders out might be to ride up through the Blair Range area (Mt Seymour Parkway / Northlands, though I'm not sure on parking restrictions there).

A reminder to please not take up the sidewalk or spill over into the street as you get ready or finish your ride. I've seen a number of situations where a rider has their gear piled on the sidewalk and there's no space for someone to walk past them at an appropriate distance.

There's also a lot more foot traffic out on Seymour* these days, and not everyone is used to seeing bikes on the trail. Make sure to give everyone space to pass. It's not the time to yell at someone for walking up John Deer; let them know that it's a popular downhill bike trail, that GSM will be a quieter option for them, tell them about trailforks, etc... Be kind. :-)

And for the love of whatever god you do or do not pray to, please do not blow snot rockets!!

*can't speak for Fromme as I've only been on Seymour

April 18, 2020, 11:32 a.m.

As a resident up by Berkley/Hyannis - things are going to boil-over, its just a matter of when.

Cars are slammed bumper-to-bumper on the side allowing parking, the side-streets are covered in cars on both sides (creating one-lane streets), drivers are getting "punchy" and going too fast (makes me nervous to let our kids ride their bikes around), and residents are starting to put their own "residents only" signs up. It is just a matter of time before the DNV steps in and expands the no-parking zones.

My recommendation: park below Sechelt on a side-street with no/few other cars around and bike up. If you are trying to find a parking spot and its too busy, go somewhere else to park to spread out. Same comment as above about giving space on the sidewalk plus pick up your garbage (or any garbage you see even if its not yours)...I've been finding granola bar wrappers on my lawn lately.

The trails are awesome. I love them, my family loves them, you love them. Staying respectful, self-aware and apart from each other keeps everyone happy and safe and the trails will get to stay open.

April 18, 2020, 11:54 a.m.

Posted by: mudhoney

Another option to spread riders out might be to ride up through the Blair Range area (Mt Seymour Parkway / Northlands, though I'm not sure on parking restrictions there).

The Parkgate rec and mall parking lots are basically empty these days, and I doubt anyone cares if bikers use them right now, especially the rec center.  It's only a 15 minute ride from there to the top of Berkley through the Blair Range, less to go around the golf course to Bridle.

April 18, 2020, 8:34 p.m.

Posted by: mudhoney

There's also a lot more foot traffic out on Seymour*

*can't speak for Fromme as I've only been on Seymour

The walker traffic on Fromme is mostly on the west side starting from the Braemar trailhead, since the lot is closed. At peak times, there are many walkers on the lower trails in that zone. 

Going a bit higher, walkers seem to love Dreamweaver over the climbing trail, so I try to avoid DW during peak times.

April 19, 2020, 2:17 p.m.

Posted by: Taz123

As a resident up by Berkley/Hyannis - things are going to boil-over, its just a matter of when.

Cars are slammed bumper-to-bumper on the side allowing parking, the side-streets are covered in cars on both sides (creating one-lane streets), drivers are getting "punchy" and going too fast (makes me nervous to let our kids ride their bikes around), and residents are starting to put their own "residents only" signs up. It is just a matter of time before the DNV steps in and expands the no-parking zones.

My recommendation: park below Sechelt on a side-street with no/few other cars around and bike up. If you are trying to find a parking spot and its too busy, go somewhere else to park to spread out. Same comment as above about giving space on the sidewalk plus pick up your garbage (or any garbage you see even if its not yours)...I've been finding granola bar wrappers on my lawn lately.

The trails are awesome. I love them, my family loves them, you love them. Staying respectful, self-aware and apart from each other keeps everyone happy and safe and the trails will get to stay open.

Good points.

I hate to say it but I think they need to expand the no parking. I live just south of you so I'm not subjected to the parking circus too bad, but man there are just too many people with too much time on their hands heading out to the shore.

I try to ride early and avoid the crowds but by the time I was finishing up my lap today it was getting busy - several packs of 6-8 bro-dudes not social distancing and just randomly camped on narrow portions of trail, forcing you to "ride the gauntlet" between them. That and lots of families who appear to be entirely unfamiliar with the shore hiking up random trails and unintentionally putting themselves in situations where opposite direction traffic can't safely get past. Which is fine I'm not against it if people want to explore, but now is just not the time.

Also not saying that none of these people are local and it's all the fault of "outsiders", but a lot of this is just a sheer numbers game, people per square mile.

I hope it doesn't sound elitist but I wish people would just stick to their own neighborhoods for now. And realistically I'll probably stop riding if the numbers stay how they are.

Last edited by: Kenny on April 19, 2020, 2:19 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 19, 2020, 5:23 p.m.

Today wasn't too bad when I was riding - and parking seems a bit better with mostly hikers clumping together.

The comment I've made to some - if you see an area with 10 cars, don't try to park there... go a block or two away and find a spot with 2 cars and park there.

I am very nervous that they are going to close the trails if folks don't get the picture.

Last edited by: Taz123 on April 19, 2020, 5:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 20, 2020, 12:11 a.m.

They had Indian River  blocked off again because of the shitheads riding the east side of Seymour.  Cooper Quinn said they could ride there.

April 20, 2020, 12:15 a.m.

Posted by: switch

They had Indian River  blocked off again because of the shitheads riding the east side of Seymour.  Cooper Quinn said they could ride there.

What?

April 20, 2020, 7:47 a.m.

Numbers def thinned out on the west side of Fromme yesterday aft.

April 20, 2020, 9:47 a.m.

I said what now?

April 20, 2020, 10:49 a.m.

A rider on the east side of Seymour said Cooper Quinn told him he could ride there.  He said MTBers built and maintain the trails there.

Numerous other riders have said there are no signs indicating that MTB is not allowed on east Seymour trails, or that it's sanctioned.

The MTB traffic on Indian River (riders returning to the Old Buck / Park gate area) is high.  Walking back from BP a few days ago, I was passed by more than 20 riders in 20 minutes.

These trails are hiking trails and are getting worn much faster because of the increases in MTBers in the last couple of years, with steeper sections taking the worst hit.

April 20, 2020, 10:52 a.m.

For now the DNV is letting us get out side and enjoy the trails. 

When I see a hiker I get off my bike and walk into the bush. 

I do the same with bikers traveling towards me. 

Children look at me with curiosity. The parents would explain why but they are too busy to explain why I'm social distancing. ( sarcasm) 

I get out in the evening and bring my light with me. That said Fromme and Seymour are saturated with hikers . They need the outlet so I let them enjoy the trails. For now I'm avoiding those zones. 

The world is fucked up right now. Yet the land managers , for now, are letting us enjoy the forest. I'm am truly grateful and will happily do my part to reduce harm to others. 

Cam made a great point:

Smiles do not spread the virus but smiles can bring happiness and peace to others. 

BC has been an example to the rest of Canada and the world for reducing the amount of people infected. But at least for another month us mountain bikers need to think about the big picture and most of us are. 

Thank you.

April 20, 2020, 11:14 a.m.

I have uploaded various greenways and urban trails to Trail Forks for alternate, less busy, ways to access the west side of Fromme (hopefully they are not rejected).  At least they break up a long pavement climb and avoid the congestion in Princess Park.

April 20, 2020, 12:39 p.m.

A rider on the east side of Seymour said Cooper Quinn told him he could ride there. He said MTBers built and maintain the trails there.

Numerous other riders have said there are no signs indicating that MTB is not allowed on east Seymour trails, or that it's sanctioned.

The MTB traffic on Indian River (riders returning to the Old Buck / Park gate area) is high. Walking back from BP a few days ago, I was passed by more than 20 riders in 20 minutes.

These trails are hiking trails and are getting worn much faster because of the increases in MTBers in the last couple of years, with steeper sections taking the worst hit.

Old Buck above Mt. Seymour Road has "no biking" signs. Not sure about the first switchback where there are trailheads that lead to 3Chop.

I ran up Mad Girls a couple of weeks ago prior to the park closure... it has definitely been getting bike traffic. Strava flyby for my run showed plenty of people riding it, and other east side trails, down to Indian River.  It wouldn't be hard for the land manager to see that same data.

Last edited by: PaulB on April 20, 2020, 12:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.