North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

April 14, 2020, 10:10 a.m.

Posted by: AlanB

Things have evolved over on Cypress. Originally BC Parks closed Cypress Bowl Road at Chippendale to all cyclists. Then it was opened to road bikes only. Later it was opened to mtn bikers as well. The closures are strictly BC Parks. DWV has closed some parking lots and playgrounds, but parks and trails remain open. Apparently District rangers are enforcing social distancing by going around with 6 foot pool noodles!!! 

Considering that almost all the mtb trails are on District or private land, I don't understand why BC Parks would discriminate against fat tires, but that seems to be behind us now. Policies have evolved. Regardless of your ride you can pedal up Cypress and enjoy the outdoors.

If you want to keep access up Cypress, you can send them quick thank you here.

I rode my bike up Seymour on Friday afternoon. Checked in with the "official" at the gatehouse (he wasn't wearing a BC Parks uniform) to make sure I was ok and he looked at my road bike and said "Yeah, you're good to go as there's no way you'll be taking that bike down the trails"...he wasn't letting another biker through on his mountain bike though!

I did notice "no entry" signs at the start of Corkscrew but there weren't any at the start of Pinch Flat Alley so access to Cabin/TNT is still good to go if you can get heli-dropped there ;-)

April 14, 2020, 12:46 p.m.

In response to Alan. That's interesting... As of yesterday at around 2pm, they let me up past the blockade gate at the bottom with a smile and a wave. I've certainly got an aggressive 29er trail bike. They also let a guy up on a full DH bike (smallest chain ring I've ever seen), clad in a full-face helmet. He's certainly not climbing up Seymour for the exercise alone.

So the mixed messages continue from the Parks' side.

Last edited by: mammal on April 14, 2020, 12:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added reply
April 14, 2020, 1:28 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

I did notice "no entry" signs at the start of Corkscrew but there weren't any at the start of Pinch Flat Alley so access to Cabin/TNT is still good to go if you can get heli-dropped there ;-)

The first 100m or so of Corkscrew & Incline are in the Park, but I think Pinch Flat is Metro/LSCR (although some maps show it is in the Park).

Last edited by: PaulB on April 14, 2020, 1:30 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 14, 2020, 2:12 p.m.

You would think that for that first 100m or so of Corkscrew they wouldn’t have bothered with the tape. Classic case of people not being able to see the bigger picture.

April 14, 2020, 2:27 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

You would think that for that first 100m or so of Corkscrew they wouldn’t have bothered with the tape. Classic case of people not being able to see the bigger picture.

Not only that, they're trying to monitor that 100m section from their trucks, through the trees. I heard them yelling at a guy and his young son to back-track and exit down the road. It's certainly an interesting place to focus your efforts. Again, this was probably about 40 minutes after they let a guy on a full DH bike through the bottom gate. I'm pretty sure they're operating on "if I see you riding shut trail, then I need to do something about it", but that's about the extent.

Last edited by: mammal on April 14, 2020, 2:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 14, 2020, 9 p.m.

The straw that broke the camel’s back? 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vancouver-news/firefighters-rescue-injured-mountain-biker-north-vancouver-2253876

April 14, 2020, 10:48 p.m.

Posted by: Zowsch

The straw that broke the camel’s back? 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vancouver-news/firefighters-rescue-injured-mountain-biker-north-vancouver-2253876

A lot of people believe they're more important than everyone else.

When you see these people, punch them in the balls.

April 14, 2020, 10:59 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

do you punch yourself in the balls every time you walk in front of a mirror?

April 14, 2020, 11:10 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: ReductiMat

do you punch yourself in the balls every time you walk in front of a mirror?

I'm not a fan of mirrors.

Especially now that I have a home gym and I'm actually keen on not seeing my, "THIS IS THE BIGGEST SHIT I'VE EVER TAKEN IN MY LIFE" face.

April 15, 2020, 8:14 a.m.

Ride safely these days. Every call has extra hassles for first responders as they take extra precautions to avoid the covid.

April 17, 2020, 9:19 a.m.

So is riding still allowed in general on the west side of Seymour and all of Fromme? Are there issues with parking by Dempsey/Braemar? Is it ok for people who don't live in the immediate area of the trails to drive in and go for a ride?

April 17, 2020, 9:53 a.m.

You park along breamaer on the tennis court side. Wasn't many out yesterday. Think that will be a different story this weeknd.

April 17, 2020, 11 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

You park along breamaer on the tennis court side. Wasn't many out yesterday. Think that will be a different story this weeknd.

I thought this area had parking restrictions in place as of April 10th?

Road closures and on-street parking restrictions

Upcoming restrictions, effective Friday, April 10

We will be implementing no parking and/or temporary resident-only parking on these streets near popular parks and trails:

Braemar/Dempsey area

Mountain Highway/Coleman Street area

Anne MacDonald Way/Old Buck area

Cates Park/Dollarton

Hyannis/Berkley area

Last edited by: shoreboy on April 17, 2020, 11:01 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 17, 2020, 1:02 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: Brocklanders

Road closures and on-street parking restrictions

Upcoming restrictions, effective Friday, April 10

We will be implementing no parking and/or temporary resident-only parking on these streets near popular parks and trails:

Braemar/Dempsey area

Mountain Highway/Coleman Street area

Anne MacDonald Way/Old Buck area

Cates Park/Dollarton

Hyannis/Berkley area

For some reason only on the residents side of Breamaer. I too was stunned, was a ton of vehicles there yesterday aft.

April 17, 2020, 1:03 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

So far, all they've done on Braemar is put up "Residents Only" signs on the south side of the street. The north side was bumper-to-bumper (including some dudes having post-ride beers outside their camper van) when I rode by on Sunday afternoon. The Hyannis/Berkley area seems to be more restricted.

So is riding still allowed in general on the west side of Seymour

Anything you can access by climbing GSM / Mushroom / Power Line is open. You just can't go up/down Old Buck, or exit on Empress Bypass. It's the reverse of the days when climbing Old Buck was the only option.

Is it ok for people who don't live in the immediate area of the trails to drive in and go for a ride?

This is what they are trying to discourage, but I'm not sure it has been all that effective. I have seen some impressively long rides on Strava by people starting from home, both on and off the Shore.

Last edited by: PaulB on April 17, 2020, 1:11 p.m., edited 4 times in total.