North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

April 3, 2020, 11:14 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Posted by: RAHrider

Our day to day admissions for non-covid illness are way down. My hospital is under capacity for the first time since it was opened!

This is awesome news; hopefully a B.C.-wide trend.

Thank you for being there!

RAHrider... Are the hospitals accepting eyewear protection donations such as ski/MTB goggles, riding glasses? I'm sure many of us here have extra pairs we could clean and donate?

Last edited by: Brocklanders on April 3, 2020, 11:16 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 3, 2020, 9:21 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Posted by: RAHrider

Our day to day admissions for non-covid illness are way down. My hospital is under capacity for the first time since it was opened!

This is awesome news; hopefully a B.C.-wide trend.

Thank you for being there!

RAHrider... Are the hospitals accepting eyewear protection donations such as ski/MTB goggles, riding glasses? I'm sure many of us here have extra pairs we could clean and donate?

Haven't heard of that yet. it's a really nice thought  Some of the er docs are wearing their riding glasses. I'll post if I hear of need for more.

April 4, 2020, 9:26 a.m.

At LGH, ski/snowboard/riding goggles haven't been used because the foam cannot be cleaned and sanitised. But other plastic eyewear has been gratefully received

April 5, 2020, 8:33 a.m.

https://www.bikeirvine.org/news/2020/4/1/riding-in-the-time-of-covid-19

Riding in the time of COVID19 image

April 5, 2020, 9:05 a.m.

Nice work anyone who kicked over the new 'no parking' signs on Braemar! That'll show them who's boss!

That'll make sure that the North Vancouver community thinks mountain bikers should deserve a place at the table when deciding trail and park usage!

Last edited by: DanL on April 5, 2020, 9:05 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 5, 2020, 9:21 a.m.

Posted by: DanL

Nice work anyone who kicked over the new 'no parking' signs on Braemar! That'll show them who's boss!

That'll make sure that the North Vancouver community thinks mountain bikers should deserve a place at the table when deciding trail and park usage!

So did the no parking restrictions keep the numbers down?

April 5, 2020, 9:57 a.m.

Nope, everyone crammed into the side streets. And I mean *crammed*

Braemar was not fully closed, just the section from the Dempsey mini-lot to the one just past the tennis courts, so in terms of adding time to get to a trailhead, minimal. But that was too far for a small bunch of assclowns.

April 5, 2020, 10:17 a.m.

Rode past the tennis courts on Friday on the gravel bike. There was tons of vehicles there. I'm staying away from the trails up there its way crowded. Riding on the roads has been great with minimal traffic.

I have a close friend who works at Metro Van head office. They have no plans to close demo forest / Lynn headwaters, just keep the numbers down. I think DNV is getting close to closing our MTB trails in their jurisdiction.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on April 5, 2020, 10:21 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 5, 2020, 10:29 a.m.

Stress is real for everyone right now. Plenty of people doing things that we don't feel is correct behavior. 

I think of mountain bikers as a whole are good examples of friendly courteous happy people. We can be the leaders of responsibility to the community. 

Please don't ride on Seymore . Why. There are only three entrances and all will be crowded with far too many people . Perhaps park on a street in Deep Cove a quiet street a block or two from trails and hike up the Dark side . There is about 20 trails to choose from . Quarry rock is not one of them !

Fromme has about ten trail heads other than the parking lot . Please don't park near the parking lot . Park two or three blocks away. 

I live near a park trail and I can't ride it and practice social distancing. Too many people. All local park trails are congested with lazy bored people. 

Cypress has plenty of lesser known trail entrances. Have an adventure go look for them and perhaps leave your bike at home. 

Use a trail running App such as Giaa to find unmarked trails and go explore on foot. Let someone know where you are hiking if your exploring. 

I don't know how to ride my bike to trails with out hitting pinch points of crowds and it's always at trail heads. 

It's very easy to get upset I'm not doing very well at staying positive but I'm trying.  

Sorry but trail riding on popular trails is not really acceptable at all.

Be safe 

Peace.

April 6, 2020, 2:39 p.m.

Posted by: Henry-Chinaski

Not excusing kicking signs over, but my understanding from DNV is that there was/is no closure along Braemer.

https://www.dnv.org/programs-services/covid-19-updates-and-closures?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social%20media&utm_campaign=COVID_19

"Parking on roads used for accessing mountain trails

Onstreet parking is restricted in these locations used for accessing mountain trails:

Berkley Avenue, Hyannis Drive, Riverside Drive, Mountain Highway

Riverside Drive North

Mountain Highway, south of Coleman

Woodlands, Indian River Drive – closed to public

Dempsey Rd and Braemar Rd"

April 6, 2020, 3:05 p.m.

I saw they just added that so I've deleted my post. I chatted with someone over Facebook at DNV that gave me opposite info.

Last edited by: Henry-Chinaski on April 6, 2020, 3:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 6, 2020, 7:31 p.m.

Go in the evening. Went out the door to fromme at 530 and there was hardly anyone around. Light enough until 730pm to ride.

April 6, 2020, 8:02 p.m.

Go in the evening. Went out the door to fromme at 530 and there was hardly anyone around. Light enough until 730pm to ride.

Same as yesterday on Seymour.  Not many people were out at 5pm.

April 7, 2020, 9:52 a.m.

Ya nice saw 2 riders the whole ride. 5 pm is the new start time for me, it's like night and day. Did a gravel lap thru headwaters midday, midweek a bit ago was jammed like a hot summer weeknd there. 

Now that my sister in law, a nurse in New Orleans has contracted it I have been taking this distancing thing way more serious. Low risk solo rides only, as far away from everyone as possible.

April 7, 2020, 10:01 a.m.

solo rides only, as far away from everyone as possible.

sounds like a typical ride for me

sorry to hear about your sister in law, hope she heals up quick