North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

April 7, 2020, 10:35 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Brocklanders

solo rides only, as far away from everyone as possible.

sounds like a typical ride for me

sorry to hear about your sister in law, hope she heals up quick

So far so good. She is overweight and not fit whatsoever which is par for the course down there, so a bit worrying. Thx for the positive vibes. Really hits home when it's someone in your circle.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on April 7, 2020, 10:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 7, 2020, 1:26 p.m.

You're not special. This means you too.

Please don't come up here.

April 7, 2020, 3:47 p.m.

Coleman/Dempsey/Kilmer area was a mess with cars trying to park near the school and fields. Since many riders aren't carpooling these days, it means more vehicles. It's frustrating to see people are not respecting the neighbourhoods. The last thing we need is to get parking restricted even further away, or have the trails closed like at Quarry Rock and Lynn Canyon. This applies almost any day, but with the threat of closures looming, it's more important.

Some common sense:

-CLOSE your driver-side doors! Unless you are actively getting in and out. It's amazing how many people leave them open....especially around the corner from Mtn Hwy. I'm surprised more doors haven't been ripped off. Not all drivers are good drivers....some are young and learning, some are old...

-Don't cover the sidewalk with your gear. Pedestrians use the sidewalk and with social spacing being what it is, you force them to walk on the road. That said...

-Don't sprawl your gear on the road..seems obvious, but not for everyone (ask the guy in the RAV 4 last Sunday who had his helmet run over)

-Leash your dogs when not in the trail. As friendly as you know your pooch is, not everyone trusts Fido....and there seem to be way more people walking their dogs these days.

-Put your rack up. Parking is getting tight....leaving your rack down when you're out riding is potentially a wasted of parking space. It's getting tighter out there.

-Get changed IN your car. I saw some dude strip down in front of Upper Lynn Elementary while another Dad was walking his 3 youngsters...really?

-If you start early (or late) keep your conversations for the trail. People don't need to be woken up to hear about your that awesome scotch you had last night.

-If you're done riding, and parking is tight, no need to revel in your awesomeness for 20 minutes with your buds....do it on Zoom while downloading your GoPro vids so that someone else can grab that spot and head off to KOM glory.

- and to the folks who were in Squamish recently....there is a special place in hell (perpetual uphill ride on Texas pea gravel) for the folks who've littered the parking area with empty beers and gloves. At least leave some full cold beers!

I'm sure most on this forum know the issues at hand, but if you know any noobs to the area ....you might want to educate them.

Last edited by: mudrunner on April 7, 2020, 4:46 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Dangling participles
April 7, 2020, 4:38 p.m.

Posted by: mudrunner

Coleman/Dempsey/Kilmer area was a mess with cars trying to park near the school and fields. Since many riders aren't carpooling these days, it means more vehicles. It's frustrating to see people are not respecting the neighbourhoods. The last thing we need is to get parking restricted even further away, or have the trails closed like at Quarry Rock and Lynn Canyon. This applies almost any day, but with the threat of closures looming, it's more important.

Some common sense:

-CLOSE your driver-side doors! Unless you are actively getting in and out. It's amazing how many people leave them open....especially around the corner from Mtn Hwy. I'm surprised more doors haven't been ripped off. Not all drivers are good drivers....some are young and learning, some are old...

-Don't cover the sidewalk with your gear. Pedestrians use the sidewalk and with social spacing being what it is, you force them to walk on the road. That said...

-Don't sprawl your gear on the road..seems obvious, but not for everyone (ask the guy in the RAV 4 last Sunday who had his helmet run over)

-Leash your dogs when not in the trail. As friendly as you know your pooch is, not everyone trusts Fido....and there seem to be way more people walking their dogs these days.

-Put your rack up. Parking is getting tight....leaving your rack down when you're out riding is potentially a wasted of parking space. It's getting tighter out there.

-Get changed IN your car. I saw some dude strip down in front of Upper Lynn Elementary while another Dad was walking his 3 youngsters...really?

-If you start early (or late) keep your conversations for the trail. People don't need to be woken up to hear about your that awesome scotch you had last night.

-If your done riding, and parking is tight, no need to revel in your awesomeness for 20 minutes with your buds....do it on Zoom while downloading your GoPro vids so that someone else can grab that spot and head off to KOM glory.

I'm sure most on this forum know the issues at hand, but if you know any noobs to the area ....you might want to educate them.

Really well written.  Thank you!

April 7, 2020, 10:07 p.m.

Posted by: Cabana76

Some common sense:

-If your done riding, and parking is tight, no need to revel in your awesomeness for 20 minutes with your buds....do it on Zoom while downloading your GoPro vids so that someone else can grab that spot and head off to KOM glory.

Really well written.  Thank you!

Can we just keep these rules for the post covid era?

April 8, 2020, 8:29 a.m.

+1

April 8, 2020, 9:06 a.m.

From what I gather/been told these previously mentioned issues are why parking was banned on the streets above Coleman. These parking regulations were brought in 15 years ago when Ernie was in power. Be nice if people who drive to the trails weren't so inconsiderate, it makes us all look bad. I'm not just saying the MTB community, it's really nice having a trail running group outside your window at 6 am on Sunday shouting at each other a real treat. I stopped running with a group because of that... Embarrassing. Would hate to live near EOL cafe, probably a shit show on weekends for noise.

April 8, 2020, 9:59 a.m.

Well, it's gonna get worse before it gets better as BC Parks have now shut EVERYTHING so no more riding up the roads to access any Cypress trails or any east side access to Seymour (eg Old Buck) so it's just gonna concentrate people on Fromme and west side of Seymour

April 8, 2020, 11:27 a.m.

Chances are it'll all be over after today. Easter Weekend and Stanley Park driving and cycling closure may force DNVs hand. Easier to close a mountain than enforce distancing or even put up signage and ban non-resident parking.

April 8, 2020, 12:47 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

Posted by: craw

https://www.bikeirvine.org/news/2020/4/1/riding-in-the-time-of-covid-19

Riding in the time of COVID19 image

so this is how we all get the cold, the flu, etc? is this conjecture or fact? because if it's not fact, it's fucking terrorism.

WHO says no. It's not airborne like this. Although I wouldn't chance it.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on April 8, 2020, 12:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 8, 2020, 1:59 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Well, it's gonna get worse before it gets better as BC Parks have now shut EVERYTHING so no more riding up the roads to access any Cypress trails or any east side access to Seymour (eg Old Buck) so it's just gonna concentrate people on Fromme and west side of Seymour

As someone who lives around Berkley and seeing the parking restrictions, traffic has increased massively in the area. I've also noticed folks parking on both sides of side-streets which is making me nervous to let our kids go ride their bikes on the roads.

April 8, 2020, 3:26 p.m.

From DNV website :

Road closures and on-street parking restrictions

Upcoming restrictions, effective Friday, April 10

We will be implementing no parking and/or temporary resident-only parking on these streets near popular parks and trails:

Braemar/Dempsey area

Mountain Highway/Coleman Street area

Anne MacDonald Way/Old Buck area

Cates Park/Dollarton

Hyannis/Berkley area

We will also be restricting these roads to local traffic only:

Deep Cove Road at Mt Seymour Parkway

Panorama Drive at Gallant Avenue

Indian River Road at Inlet Crescent

April 8, 2020, 4:44 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: Cabana76

Some common sense:

Really well written. Thank you!

Can we just keep these rules for the post covid era?

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

+1

No...common sense is always a good idea, and there are still idiots out there....and we are already restricted enough. Riding is a privilege these days....I don't want to get totally shut down. These rules are more important now than ever and if helps to protect what we have the... Why NOT reiterate them?

Last edited by: mudrunner on April 8, 2020, 5:29 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Dangling participles
April 8, 2020, 4:50 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

From what I gather/been told these previously mentioned issues are why parking was banned on the streets above Coleman. These parking regulations were brought in 15 years ago when Ernie was in power. Be nice if people who drive to the trails weren't so inconsiderate, it makes us all look bad. I'm not just saying the MTB community, it's really nice having a trail running group outside your window at 6 am on Sunday shouting at each other a real treat. I stopped running with a group because of that... Embarrassing. Would hate to live near EOL cafe, probably a shit show on weekends for noise.

Agreed...all trail users need to be sensitive. Runners, riders, dog people, etc... It's just that us riders are far more conspicuous (trucks, bike racks, etc....) and we spend more time getting prepped at our vehicles. The advantage we have though, are our bikes. Just ride a few more blocks so that we are not congesting the usual spots. Do we really need to park right at the trail head when going for a 2 or 3 hour workout? Ice Sports is only a few blocks from Berkeley, the Legion is only a few blocks from EOL and Fromme trails.

April 8, 2020, 4:52 p.m.

Posted by: Taz123

r

As someone who lives around Berkley and seeing the parking restrictions, traffic has increased massively in the area. I've also noticed folks parking on both sides of side-streets which is making me nervous to let our kids go ride their bikes on the roads.

Bingo. We are guests in someone's neighbourhood.