North Shore Trail Riding Etiquette and Behavior in a Global Pandemic

June 22, 2020, 11:01 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Thanks - that's good news. Yeah I was thinking the same thing recently - if parking is such an issue and there are existing public lots that could be used then that seems like an obvious solution. According to google maps it looks like there's also an elementary school in the neighborhood. Could the school's parking lot also be used? Would make sense for bikes but likely too far for bikers.

There are two schools in the neighborhood - Blueridge Elementary is the closest, but unfortunately the parking lot is typically chained-closed. The Park-based parking is probably the best option rather than rely on schools - Blueridge Park or McCartney Park (or Parkgate) all provide decent access to Seymour.

June 22, 2020, 1:06 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

What do others think of this?

Bikepark opening always takes a huge load off the shore

June 23, 2020, 12:11 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

Posted by: andy-eunson

What do others think of this?

Bikepark opening always takes a huge load off the shore

Unless it's blue trails only, then Cypress is gonna be packed.

June 23, 2020, 8:11 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Is Cypress ever packed? Based on my experiences, it's the least ridden of the 3 mountains by a very significant margin. Which is surprising to me because the trails are really good. I guess it being a shuttle only mountain probably is the main cause.

Last edited by: Bull_Dozer on June 23, 2020, 8:11 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2020, 9:15 a.m.

Is Cypress ever packed? Based on my experiences, it's the least ridden of the 3 mountains by a very significant margin. Which is surprising to me because the trails are really good. I guess it being a shuttle only mountain probably is the main cause.

It's not that hard a pedal up the BLT from the bottom on the westside. A bit grunty in spots but not bad.

June 23, 2020, 10:28 a.m.

I've only ever shuttled there (east side trails on a DH bike). Was never packed, but a few years ago if there was nice weather on the weekends leading up to the bike park opening there were a lot of crews out there warming up on the big bikes. In reality I think no matter what Whistler opens, it will attract a lot of people.

June 23, 2020, 4:40 p.m.

Anything lift access can get overcrowded, but I've never felt overcrowded on a normal trail ride. I don't know about you guys, but on an average Fromme ride I rarely see more than like 20 riders after I leave the parking lot. Yes, on the prime weekends over the warmer months the top busy trails (bobsled, half nelson, espresso, boogie nights, lost lake, etc.) and shuttle routes might get a fair bit of traffic but it's easy to escape that just by riding different trails.

IMO the main trail networks have mostly been totally underutilized and still have a lot of room for additional capacity outside of a select few trails/routes. 

According to trailforks Squamish has 588km of trails (I assume that's overstated and counts a lot of dirt roads and multi use paths, but say the real # is 1/3 of that (approx. 200km). Mathematically, you could have 2,000 riders riding at once and they would each have 100m of trail to themselves. Obviously that's not how it works in the real world, but I think you get what I am trying to say. 

I think the issue is more around stuff like parking, where a bottleneck occurs.

I agree. I've been riding the shore for longer than I care to admit....while some recent days have seen very busy streets and limited parking, you'd expect to see the same effect on the trails. When climbing Fromme on what I would call a busy day, I'll see about 15-20 people up to Bobsled, then a steady stream (10-ish)to Expresso, then a handful after that....maybe 3 or 4 waiting at 7th Secret. More often than not, I will see no one on a descent of Oilcan, Ladies, Executioner, etc... until I get to the lower trails. 

I'm not a fan of hunting for parking and I'll gladly find an easy spot a few blocks further away....I mean, if I am planning to be out for half a day, what's an extra 10 minute climb or 20 minute commute?

July 5, 2020, 8:09 a.m.

Has the Deep Cove area reopened to the general public?

July 5, 2020, 1:17 p.m.

Pretty much, except the Quarry Rock trail is still closed, and some street parking on Gallant has been blocked off to give more space to pedestrians. Not sure what the time limit is for the Panorama parking lots these days. If you're going to be there awhile, best to park over at the elementary school, or Myrtle Park.

Edit: I went for a ride through the Cove this afternoon, and it was pretty much a typical sunny Sunday, except that since the line for Honeys' was spaced 6' apart, it stretched most of the block.

Last edited by: PaulB on July 5, 2020, 11:18 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 7, 2020, 1:24 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

Pretty much, except the Quarry Rock trail is still closed, and some street parking on Gallant has been blocked off to give more space to pedestrians. Not sure what the time limit is for the Panorama parking lots these days. If you're going to be there awhile, best to park over at the elementary school, or Myrtle Park.

Edit: I went for a ride through the Cove this afternoon, and it was pretty much a typical sunny Sunday, except that since the line for Honeys' was spaced 6' apart, it stretched most of the block.

I believe that Panorama Park is 2 hour max.....and the district is checking the whole Deep Cove area on a regular basis. Lots of parking near the schools, though.

July 9, 2020, 2:13 p.m.

Wow the trails are soggy, this weather is nuts...So summer is officially cancelled?  Someone must have been offended by the sunshine.

July 10, 2020, 8:38 a.m.

Cypress dries out pretty quick compared to Fromme and Seymour.  Trail Fairies have been busy as well.

July 10, 2020, 10:11 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Wow the trails are soggy, this weather is nuts...So summer is officially cancelled?  Someone must have been offended by the sunshine.

Junetember was sh#t and Jultober is quickly going the same way. And days are getting shorter to boot. 

At least there are no forest fires!

July 16, 2020, 11:47 a.m.

Just a few pleasant reminders when riding trails that may not be obvious to everyone

- wait until dry (don't ride when soggy)

- leave entrance covered (or add a few branches)

- for the love of mike, turn yur Strava off

That is all.

Last edited by: shore_flea on July 16, 2020, 11:48 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 23, 2020, 11:19 p.m.

Posted by: shore_flea

Just a few pleasant reminders when riding trails that may not be obvious to everyone

- wait until dry (don't ride when soggy)

- leave entrance covered (or add a few branches)

- for the love of mike, turn yur Strava off

That is all.

And don’t hang out/ gear up at entrances or exits. Drop in quickly out of view of others and make a clean break when you’re done.