north shore mass exit

Sept. 5, 2007, 4:47 p.m.

How about a Hummer too?

Well thanks Bryce. I'd love a hummer. Your place or mine?

Sept. 5, 2007, 5:25 p.m.

Kootenay's suck, stay out.

So many freaks, so few circuses.

Sept. 5, 2007, 8:50 p.m.

I'd like to know what you all do for a living that you can just get up and move to the interior. Did you find a job in the same field or did you have to find something/anything else.

Sept. 6, 2007, 7:09 a.m.

I'd like to know what you all do for a living that you can just get up and move to the interior. Did you find a job in the same field or did you have to find something/anything else.

I'm a commercial builder in the city and my wife is a college instructor.
We decided where we wanted to raise a family and had to make so serious career adjustments for it to happen. not to many high rises being built on the SSC. and the cap college campus looks like something out of little house on the prairie.

Regarding the big house and long commute: i'm with you. currently i'm 30 minutes in and 45 out, my wife is an hour each way and it's one of the biggest contributing factors to leaving. My new commute will be a 5 minute walk.

As for housing; we are busting out of our 950 sq. ft bungalow now and are going huge. 1400 spacious ft!!!!

Big house = more cleaning = less riding (IMHO)

Sept. 6, 2007, 7:35 a.m.

No Gary you have it all wrong, Big house equals more room for dirty mtn bikers to crash when on the coast, which means more riding, and then more cleaning.

Disclaimer. Anything written above this should not be taken literally, its called sarcasm you idiots.

Sept. 6, 2007, 7:44 a.m.

that is the formula alright.

Sept. 6, 2007, 8:51 a.m.

unless you're married to a doctor it can be pretty tough to find quality work outside the lower mainland.

it took us two years to figure it out and we're still pretty nervous about "making it" finacially.

I will garrantee that you guys are living off of waaaay more than what we are, without benefits. But yes, as a GP, she can find work wherever she wants it.

Sept. 6, 2007, 8:54 a.m.

in both my moves I took a remote posting for the company I worked at

getting away from the branch office or head office is a very good thing ,in general even within the same job you have to diversafy and do more things (actualy everything) work alone or with phone support .

Lots of paid travel … I would rather sit behind the wheel and get paid than work

Sept. 6, 2007, 11:28 a.m.

There's tons more work than people up here. Especially skilled trades, but also anything medical, engineering, general labour, retail, serving, cooking, accounting, you name it-they're short of people. Concrete finishers have been making up to $700 a day (Someone tell Digger).

Earlier this summer a beauty salon in Peachland was offering a $3K SIGNING BONUS for anyone to cut hair, and she couldn't fill the position.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Sept. 6, 2007, 11:29 a.m.

Oh, and since it costs about half of what the coast does to buy a place,you don't have to work as much anyway.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Sept. 7, 2007, 8:04 a.m.

Concrete finishers have been making up to $700 a day (Someone tell Digger).

Every day?!?
maybe if they own the placing company and have $$$ in equipement and at least four skilled guys working with them. One concrete finisher on his own (or formwork carpenter for that matter) is worth an hourly wage and not much more. Id say 25-35$ per hour. Not really getting rich.
At least here in Penticton.
As a journeyman tradesman, wages are a bit lower here than on the coast. The jobs are smaller, and the work is way more fragmented.

And the cost of living here is very nearly the same as on the coast for me. The savings in housing costs are taken up by way larger transportation costs. Nester's in
Summerland has higher prices than Nester's in Whistler!! I could hardly believe it. Gas…same price. Insurance…same price. You save here on the purchase price of a house, but if you rent, (if you can find a good permanent place) the price is the same as on the coast.

I do have a better lifestyle here, though…. Larger place, yard, spot for my RV, etc. Everyone's way more laid back here than on the coast.

I still kind of miss living in Van after 41/2 years here, though.
Many things the city has are not here.

The key is to just be happy where you are and stop looking at the grass across the fence!!!! hahahaha

sorry for the long rant
just wanted to share my experiences with youse.

Sept. 7, 2007, 8:05 a.m.

I was born and raised in a small town "North Van"
What happened. I'm hoping to retire elsewhere probably the island 6 years to go, and Smoke you get my vote for Mayor of West Bank got to get up there and get a ride in. Very Nice Shots.

Sept. 7, 2007, 8:38 a.m.

Kelowna, Penticton, and pretty much that whole area is way more expensive than Kamloops, although our prices have jumped significantly in the last year or so. We bought our house for $245,000, two years later we would list it for $400,000+ (neighbours sold theirs for $440k the same day they listed).

I was surpised at the prices in the Okanagan, they weren't too far off of NV at the time, especially Penticton. I like the town, but some of the prices for old run down homes were just rediculous. I guess the lake demands a high premium. Kamloops was the last affordable city somewhat close to Vancouver, now we're getting into similar territory for pricing as the rest of the interior. Not quite, but its getting there.

Sept. 7, 2007, 9:34 a.m.

You just have to have the balls to pull the shoot. I went solo consulting and things are OK. My wife landed a job as well. Coming from the city it isn't too hard to show a work ethic and level of compentency that is attractive to employers and clients. Once we shake our big city spending habbits we'll need even less.

I too fled the sence of entitlement of those in NV. And Silk is right - it does come from the parents. I just wish more 20 to 40 somethings with similar values could have afforded NV. Small town gossip and sence of community trumps the coldness and political BS of the Shore - at least at this stage of our lives with small children.

Living in a town with a full time trail crew is a luxury not found in many places.
Got to go - mandatory Friday pre-lunch ride awaits.

ride, build, ride some more….

Sept. 7, 2007, 9:45 a.m.

I do feel bad for everyone that are looking to buy a place here in Vancouver. The prices are now out of touch for most people starting out as first time buyers. for sure my wife and I especially with the 2 kids could not get into the market now.

I feel lucky for sure living in NV with Fromme in my backyard. We paid around 250k 6 years ago for our house. Today the price for our area is insane to say the least.

If we did not have the place we also might be thinking of a exit from NV to some place we could raise a family and not have to eat cabbage 3 times per day.