north shore mass exit

Sept. 4, 2007, 9:53 a.m.

is it just me, or have a bunch of shore locals been leaving lately?

PT Colin, Wayne P, Smoke, GGB (graham beatty) are just a few examples from the board who have found loamier pastures lately.

Of those who have left, was housing prices the biggest motivator, or did a shift in values affect your decision?????????

Sept. 4, 2007, 10:13 a.m.

Housing prices, raising a family in a smaller town, traffic congestion of the lower mainland, slower pace, more friends, more opportunity (depending on your situation of course).

I guess you'll be moving soon to eh?

Sept. 4, 2007, 10:19 a.m.

If I still lived down south I would need to get a job

there are way more cool places to live in BC than the island/fraser valley

the trick is to find the next cool place before everyone has moved there and fucked it up

Sept. 4, 2007, 10:20 a.m.

Coast Mts = Rain

Rockies = Sun

Ya sunshine ! ! !

Even when it's wet it's dry.

Oh, and Van's a gongshow. Miss my friends, not the city.

Cheers

M.

Sell yer bike, buy a mtn. sled

I'm not a racer, I'm a rider who happens to race - M.G.

Sept. 4, 2007, 10:21 a.m.

well i'm pretty unimportant on the "shore" riding scale, but if i could move to kamloops right now i would. my motivation would be: lower housing costs, smaller town, and i'm getting sick of the rat race.

Sept. 4, 2007, 10:33 a.m.

i moved back to PG to:
-be closer to family
-so i could afford to start my own family
-to be able to do all the winter sports you dont usually get to do in Van (we got a mini snowmobile trail in our backyard)
-quality and pace of life (everything is always go, go, go)

miss some friends down there but no amount of money could ever make me live down there again. by this time next year i should have about 30[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of a price of a house saved up with enough left over to buy or build a small vacation cabin somewhere.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Sept. 4, 2007, 11:32 a.m.

yeah its all been covered

house prices
traffic
rude snobs/stuck up Vancouyverites (super unfriendly city IMO)
shitty rocky un-flowy trails with loads up tools on em

but if you're young the upsides are pretty good of the big city …

Sept. 4, 2007, 11:45 a.m.

Its all relative, moving back to Vancouver from Toronto was (other than the housing costs being similar), like a breath off fresh air. peaceful and relaxing compared to the T-dot.

Sept. 4, 2007, 11:54 a.m.

Housing prices, raising a family in a smaller town, traffic congestion of the lower mainland, slower pace, more friends, more opportunity (depending on your situation of course).

Ditto here.

ride, build, ride some more….

Sept. 4, 2007, 11:59 a.m.

putting in an offer this weekend. porpoise bay. we are over every weekend now (in laws place) and will be moving over Dec 1

Sept. 4, 2007, 12:06 p.m.

dude i have a kickin pad in langdale for you..cash deal skip the realtors!!

Sept. 4, 2007, 12:18 p.m.

For us the move was somewhat of an unknown before it happened. After we moved we wished we had done it sooner. There's some things that are missed about Vancouver, and when I can think of them I'll tell you……

What I really love about Kamloops (for example) is the freedom to do pretty much anything you want. I can hop on my bike and ride for 10 minutes and be where you probably never see anyone. I can drive for 15 minutes, unload the dirtbike, and be in complete wilderness (and I have many areas in which to go). I have Sun Peaks just 45 minutes away and Mt Harper just around the corner.

The drawbacks of small town living are obvious: small town mentality, big time religious overtones, lack of good eating establishments ;), social problems are more in your face. Whereas in North Van, you are so sheltered from social problems that its almost like living in a gated community.

Sept. 4, 2007, 3:03 p.m.

im 27 and dying to move out of the city….the interior would be so nice…i hate traffic and the housing prices are a joke in and around vancouver . my biggest problem is trying to convince the girlfriend that a smaller town is not a bad thing….

Sept. 4, 2007, 3:08 p.m.

I think more people would do it if there were quality jobs in their fields of work.

Sept. 4, 2007, 3:13 p.m.

The drawbacks of small town living are obvious: small town mentality, big time religious overtones, lack of good eating establishments

My exact reasons for staying in North Vancouver. I didn't move to Canada to live with religious hicks in a small town - had plenty of that growing up in Norway. It's all give and take, we miss the plethora of restaurants we had when living downtown, but the proximity to trails and mountains make up for it on the shore.