No Trespassing signs on CMHC lands and trails

Oct. 28, 2016, 5:40 a.m.

My man Smedley…..

still doing the my man smelly thing? looooooooooong sigh… this schtick is gettn old…

Oct. 28, 2016, 6:18 a.m.

What about "my man Smedley " for a trail name?

Oct. 28, 2016, 6:57 a.m.

What about "my man Smedley " for a trail name?

Would be a fairly lame trail, because you'd have to ensure it was kept below a 4% grade.

Oct. 28, 2016, 8:10 a.m.

Would be a fairly lame trail, because you'd have to ensure it was kept below a 4% grade.

I don't think it would be that bad.

Oct. 28, 2016, 8:38 a.m.

Monica has been great for the Mtb community.

She helps us to focus our efforts as a galvanizing force.

We could never have gotten a trail through mountain view park let alone her road.

And NOW she could be the catalyst that legitimizes mountain biking in the CMHC!

Thanks Monica!

Actually, the more you think about this the better it gets. Because of the events of the past couple weeks, I personally:

1. Have joined the NSMBA.
2. Will be voting in the next municipal election for Mathew Bond (assuming he isn’t arrested because of Scrooge’s fake email). This will be the first municipal election I have ever voted in.

I’m sure others have done / will be doing the same things. So, not only may Monica have been the catalyst to finally bring the CMHC and the NSMBA together to create a sustainable agreement on Seymour, something that the NSMBA has been unable to accomplish themselves, but she may have also inadvertently increased membership / funding to the NSMBA and ensured Mathew Bond is elected to council for as long as he cares to run!

Talk about unintended consequences. For fans of irony, this one will go down in the history books. I know I said earlier to ignore her but this is too good to ignore!

A new trail is definitely in order, perhaps “Monica McDuck”?

Oct. 28, 2016, 8:57 a.m.

Actually, the more you think about this the better it gets. Because of the events of the past couple weeks, I personally:

1. Have joined the NSMBA.
2. Will be voting in the next municipal election for Mathew Bond (assuming he isn’t arrested because of Scrooge’s fake email). This will be the first municipal election I have ever voted in.

I’m sure others have done / will be doing the same things. So, not only may Monica have been the catalyst to finally bring the CMHC and the NSMBA together to create a sustainable agreement on Seymour, something that the NSMBA has been unable to accomplish themselves, but she may have also inadvertently increased membership / funding to the NSMBA and ensured Mathew Bond is elected to council for as long as he cares to run!

Talk about unintended consequences. For fans of irony, this one will go down in the history books. I know I said earlier to ignore her but this is too good to ignore!

A new trail is definitely in order, perhaps “Monica McDuck”?

That's the ironic part, is that even with all the complaining she does, the sheer number of mountain bike riders on the north shore has grown so much in the past ten years it's crazy! When I left in '05 there were a lot of riders but you could go on a ride and not see anyone, but today, you could pass a hundred riders on any given Saturday.

Good job Monica, you are really doing a stellar job! Someone should sponsor her. In fact, someone should print up shirts with her face on it and wear them every chance you get. Sell them and give her the profits as a thank you for her efforts in promoting mountain biking. She is a god of mountain biking.

Oct. 28, 2016, 9:18 a.m.

Wow… I just… wow. Great points!

Thank you Monica Craver. Thank you Hazan. On behalf of #scofflaws from the Shore-To-Sky and beyond: Thank You!

But… ummm, MC and Hazan if I can give you a bit of advice. With this new turn of events I think you guys should definitely register as lobbyists for Mathew Bond before the next election.

As his two biggest assets (I mean, besides his history of positive community involvement, volunteerism, education, personality, and legion of supporters) I think it would be best if you set an example by keeping your cards face-up on the table.

Thanks again for your hard work!

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Oct. 28, 2016, 9:23 a.m.

Just sent from Jane Thornthwaite…

Hello all,

I just had a chance to speak with representatives from the Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations and BC Parks. Representatives from both met with CMHC regarding access to trails, around the Blair Rifle Range Property

I am satisfied with the direction this situation is proceeding towards, and it is my expectation that the situation will be resolved soon and I expect to get a further update today.

Thanks for your patience on this.

Jane Thornthwaite, MLA

North Vancouver Seymour

Oct. 28, 2016, 10:45 a.m.

Its like catching fish with a net in a barrel LOl

You are the collective Gollum following your _Precious _ (Bond) wherever he may go. Eventually you will climb Seymour Mountain to the Cracks of Doom where you and your _precious _ will fall into the fires of the volcano and meet your just end :-)

Precious, oh my precious, save us from the evil CMHC

A tear has been shed on your behalf

Scrooge McDuck

Can you imagine if this guy was making decisions with our tax dollars?!?

Oct. 28, 2016, 10:46 a.m.

Now this…THANK YOU TO ALL WHO GOT INVOLVED!!!

FURTHER UPDATE:

CMHC and the Province are prepared, as co-owners, to permit reasonable and responsible recreational use of the property. Users are reminded that persons entering this land do so entirely at their own risk, and that the owners are not responsible for any damage or loss to property, or personal injury.

Going forward, CMHC and the Province will work closely together to consider the management of appropriate recreational usages of the property.

Thank you again for your patience!

Jane Thornthwaite, MLA

North Vancouver Seymour

Oct. 28, 2016, 11:01 a.m.

Now this…THANK YOU TO ALL WHO GOT INVOLVED!!!

FURTHER UPDATE:

CMHC and the Province are prepared, as co-owners, to permit reasonable and responsible recreational use of the property. Users are reminded that persons entering this land do so entirely at their own risk, and that the owners are not responsible for any damage or loss to property, or personal injury.

Going forward, CMHC and the Province will work closely together to consider the management of appropriate recreational usages of the property.

Thank you again for your patience!

Jane Thornthwaite, MLA

North Vancouver Seymour

Notwithstanding the need for confirmation, this is great news!!!!@!

Thanks to everyone! Especially M Craver for hooking up with CMHC , and Scrooge McDuck for some damn good entertainment.

Good work NSMBA and DNV councilors, especially Previous aka Mr. Bond.

Oct. 28, 2016, 11:40 a.m.

Jane is only referring to that small portion of the Blair Rifle Range co-owned by the Province within the much large scope of the CMHC lands, not the entire CMHC lands. The vast majority of trails are north of the Blair Rifle Range, so nothing has changed in any material way.

The Land Use study is going forward covering ALL the CMHC lands. As well it should, with a poriton of those lands being developed for social infrastructure including co-op and seniors' housing. (please refrain from invective asking me not to pander to the elderly - it is nothing but ageism)

Uncle Scrooge

Don't know when to give up? The Rifle Range was the specific area of concern identified by the CMHC. Fighting a lost battle will not garner you any public support.

Oct. 28, 2016, 11:43 a.m.

Its like catching fish with a net in a barrel LOl

You are the collective Gollum following your Precious (Bond) wherever he may go. Eventually you will climb Seymour Mountain to the Cracks of Doom where you and your precious will fall into the fires of the volcano and meet your just end

Scrooge McDuck

Mr. Colbert,

As a failed candidate for the office of DNV council, your petulant harrassment of Councillor Mathew Bond certainly sounds like sour grapes.

I enclose a link and quote from a recent opinion by Paul Sullivan, North Shore News, offering a different perspective on Councillor Bond. "…clear champion for the mountain" has a certain ring to it, don't you think?

http://www.nsnews.com/opinion/sullivan-bonehead-pr-hall-of-infamy-s-newest-inductee-1.2378648

Bond, who’s emerged from the confusion as the clear champion for the mountain, is past-president of the North Shore Mountain Bike Association, so he’s more than just a political opportunist (although this stand will hardly hurt come re-election time). He’s gathered more than 500 likes and some stunning comments, including a memorable reflection from Sarah, a police sergeant who depends on the mountain trails for “solitude, serenity and reflection.”

Oct. 28, 2016, 11:43 a.m.

Jane is only referring to that small portion of the Blair Rifle Range co-owned by the Province within the much large scope of the CMHC lands, not the entire CMHC lands. The vast majority of trails are north of the Blair Rifle Range, so nothing has changed in any material way. For instance the following trail heads remain off limits - the bottom of Crockscrew on the powerlines, at the halfway point of Corkscrew above the entrance to Salvation, at the bottom of Pingu at the entrance of the Pangor Connector, S-Dick, Asain Adonis, Penny Lane, Good Sir Martin etc. etc. CMHC has not relented on their position of No Trespassing on those lands.

Jane made no mention of the NSMBA, precious, or DNV Council. They have no standing with BC Parks and are irrelevant to those very few trails on Provincial land.

The Land Use study is going forward covering ALL the CMHC lands. As well it should, with a poriton of those lands being developed for social infrastructure including co-op and seniors' housing. (please refrain from invective asking me not to pander to the elderly - it is nothing but ageism)

Uncle Scrooge

It's to bad…you did bring up lots of good information. Many of them I had no idea and to be perfectly honest kind of irritated me. But now you just sound like a crazy preacher on the corner of a street that no one listen to anymore. Keep harping I guess but you are wasting your time now, the few that where actually listening to you are gone now and are walking away.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Oct. 28, 2016, 12:05 p.m.

Update from that other website confirming that FLNRO and RSTBC will be involved and that the entirety of the CMHC lands on Seymour are being discussed. RSTBC is quoted

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/cmhc-signs-mount-seymour-trails-no-trespassing-2016.html

Update #1 - October 28th, 2016

On October 27, 2016, the CMHC met with various parties to discuss their future intentions for the large block of land owned on Mount Seymour. To summarize the new developments, the CMHC confirmed that their concern was liability and that they were willing to discuss ways for all recreational users to access trails on the CMHC lands in the "short to medium term". The Province of BC's responsible agency is RSTBC which has a track record of successfully managing and sanctioning recreational trail access. No further color was given on proposed long-term access by recreational users of the land.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram