No Trespassing signs on CMHC lands and trails

Oct. 27, 2016, 11:58 a.m.

1. "The CMHC was very receptive to the NSMBA". Why have they suddenly gone from completely ignoring (for years) to very receptive?

2. They have mentioned short term and medium term solutions a couple times. The phrase "long term solution" is suspiciously absent. This is what I find most concerning.

Oct. 27, 2016, 12:29 p.m.

I have never voted in a municipal election. That will change come next election. I am not going to be the only one. Given the great work Mathew Bond is doing for us here I suspect he will win in a landslide. If there happens to be anyone else running for council who may be posting here in lets just say a less helpful way than Councilor Bond, well…good luck next time. You are going to need it.

Vote counts from the last DNV election are available on the DNV website. Let's just say that the candidate in question has a few other candidates to worry about long before he's in competition with Mathew Bond…

Oct. 27, 2016, 12:29 p.m.

Update from NSMBA regarding their meeting today with CMHC:

http://www.nsmba.ca/content/2016-10_cmhc-update

This seems encouraging for the short term.

Oct. 27, 2016, 12:31 p.m.

If you could have secured more than a paltry 5% of the municipal vote, YOU could be the player here!

I find it pretty amazing he could find 5%. Dude comes off as being a couple short of a full deck and he sure as shit shouldn’t get any points for trolling the forumn. Between all the FOI requests and inviting the RCMP to the AGM, he also seems to like to waste taxpayer money. Seems rigged to me…

Oct. 27, 2016, 12:37 p.m.

2. They have mentioned short term and medium term solutions a couple times. The phrase "long term solution" is suspiciously absent. This is what I find most concerning.

Im just assuming that, like the rest of Vancouver, it will be sold to an Asian billionaire. 😉

Oct. 27, 2016, 12:59 p.m.

I too have tried following this thread, as I use these trails with my kids and this seems important. I am puzzled as to why this Mr. Scrooge fellow continues his character assassination of Matthew. Is he hoping to turn bikers against him? I mean the community has already spoken on that matter. It seems he is trying to discourage bikers from working with their leaders. What is he afraid of? Is he is afraid of bikers being organized and anyone other than him in charge? I really wish this thread would stay "on point".

Oct. 27, 2016, 1:04 p.m.

This may be a dumb question, I am under the impression that the standard way to limit your liability is to throw up the no trespassing signs however if I look at the Occupiers Liability Act i see this…

(3.2) A person who enters any of the categories of premises described in subsection (3.3) is deemed to have willingly assumed all risks and the occupier of those premises is subject only to the duty of care set out in subsection (3) if
(a) the person who enters is trespassing, or
(b) the entry is for the purpose of a recreational activity and
(i) the occupier receives no payment or other consideration for the entry or activity of the person, other than a payment or other consideration from a government or government agency or a non-profit recreational club or association, and
(ii) the occupier is not providing the person with living accommodation on those premises.

is this not trying to say that if somebody mountain bikes on your land your not liable for them hurting themselves as long as they didn't pay you for it??

Internet lawyers please chime in..

Don't be an engineer, every one of them I've met is socially retarded

Oct. 27, 2016, 2:55 p.m.

That scrooge guy ran for office??! BAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAA …man, nsmb is getting good again. I would like Partbreaker to chime in and tell us how to 'take it big' on this issue. I would also like to get Ms Sludgepot's opinion on the matter.

Oct. 27, 2016, 3:59 p.m.

I too have tried following this thread, as I use these trails with my kids and this seems important. I am puzzled as to why this Mr. Scrooge fellow continues his character assassination of Matthew. Is he hoping to turn bikers against him? I mean the community has already spoken on that matter. It seems he is trying to discourage bikers from working with their leaders. What is he afraid of? Is he is afraid of bikers being organized and anyone other than him in charge? I really wish this thread would stay "on point".

His name is Mr Colbert, he ran in the municipal election against Mr Bond. If you read back some of the posts and comments to him, you will find all the information you need to know.

Sour grapes mixed with some crazy juice.

Oct. 27, 2016, 4:08 p.m.

Update from NSMBA regarding their meeting today with CMHC:

http://www.nsmba.ca/content/2016-10_cmhc-update

Great news. Good job Vince! :clap::clap::clap:

Oct. 27, 2016, 6 p.m.

Sour grapes mixed with some crazy juice.

some?

Oct. 27, 2016, 6:09 p.m.

The CMHC acknowledges that they did not conduct sufficient consultation with user groups and neighboring land managers before posting the updated signage.

DNV: Why the signs?
CMHC: We had an endless barrage of complaints
DNV: From who?
CMHC: Some environmental group led by a M. Craver
DNV: Really, M. Craver? She's batshit crazy, let me show you what an endless barrage of complaints looks like.
CMHC: Oh no, I feel like I've been punked.

Then they laughed and they laughed and there were trails for all.

It would be even more comical if she was the catalyst to finally get a land use agreement going with CMHC. She's seriously done more good for mountain biking that pretty much anyone else!

Oct. 27, 2016, 6:41 p.m.

Ernie Crist (rip) and Monica Craver, the saviours of north shore mtb'ing.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 27, 2016, 6:52 p.m.

Monica has been great for the Mtb community.

She helps us to focus our efforts as a galvanizing force.

We could never have gotten a trail through mountain view park let alone her road.

And NOW she could be the catalyst that legitimizes mountain biking in the CMHC!

Thanks Monica!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Oct. 27, 2016, 7 p.m.

Oh Monica.. Every time you mention "nasty little mountain bikers" it's hard not to imagine this:

I'm sure that somewhere inside your Gollum, is a Smeagol trying to get out.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.