No Trespassing signs on CMHC lands and trails

Oct. 26, 2016, 8:07 a.m.

Mathew has an update (#7) from MP Terry Beach here;

https://www.facebook.com/mrmathewbond/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE[HTML_REMOVED]fref=nf

To summarize the key new information
1. Province of BC and CMHC coordinated to put these signs up

2. What precipitated this is apparently "recreational users of the Blair Rifle Range property raised safety concerns with the property’s management related to trail building activity that included large trail structures and the unauthorized use of heavy machinery at the site."

3. Cited concern of "liability" in place of previous equivocal concern of "safety"

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Oct. 26, 2016, 8:41 a.m.

I saw a Bobcat on the access road under the power lines last month on my way to Forever After. Not the sort of equipment used for any mtb-primary trail I know of other than the Metro work on Dales.

Oct. 26, 2016, 9:37 a.m.

sounds like a machine was used on the power line trail.

curious what the "large structures" in question are. the little booter on deer john that MC posted on the CMHC FB page, perhaps?

Oct. 26, 2016, 9:41 a.m.

curious what the "large structures" in question are. the little booter on deer john that MC posted on the CMHC FB page, perhaps?

Seems like, must be like Xmas for her.

Oct. 26, 2016, 9:42 a.m.

I saw a Bobcat on the access road under the power lines last month on my way to Forever After. Not the sort of equipment used for any mtb-primary trail I know of other than the Metro work on Dales.

Just heard this morning it was a BMX track in Blair range that spooked them. Maybe someone had a Bobcat in there…

Oct. 26, 2016, 9:51 a.m.

Metro also used equipment on Juryn and the connector to the Pipeline bridge last spring to work on upgrading the connector over the pipeline bridge after the twin bridges got wiped out. That may have been Metro or DNV heading in to work on upgrades for the East side of the river. Maybe it was Metro working with their bobcat that spooked them?

Oct. 26, 2016, 10:31 a.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2930390]Just heard this morning it was a BMX track in Blair range that spooked them. Maybe someone had a Bobcat in there…[/QUOTE]

heard where? radio?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 26, 2016, 10:54 a.m.

would they be concerned about heavy equipment because of the potential for unexploded ordnance on the rifle range?

also, are any of the main mountain bike trails on the rifle range? it seems like its not really mountain biking that is concerning them.

Oct. 26, 2016, 11:09 a.m.

the metro work on Dale's used a mini excavator, not a bobcat.

besdies. it's pretty obvious that the powerline jump trail wasn't built using shovels.

edit: was told permission came from Hydro.
why can't all this info just be public? it would clear up any ambiguity it situations like this as well as the starfish debacle.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 26, 2016, 12:38 p.m.

heard where? radio?

No, nothing official… Just neighbourhood talk.

Oct. 26, 2016, 1:33 p.m.

It actually is public in a legal sense.

I used a Freedom of Information (FOI) request to find out when CMHC took notice of the trails and structures. It goes way back prior to Monica. She had nothing to do with it. The concerns were raised in a very official, organized way, and far above my pay grade and far above the DNV's authority. If you want to know more, do your own FOI request.

Scrooge McDuck

Why wouldn't you just tell us what you know?

Oct. 26, 2016, 1:56 p.m.

Why wouldn't you just tell us what you know?

Being forthright and credible isn't really Uncle Scrooge's forte.

Oct. 26, 2016, 3:50 p.m.

Being forthright and credible isn't really Uncle Scrooge's forte.

He really is a fowl fellow.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 26, 2016, 3:55 p.m.

He really is a fowl fellow.

I see what you did there :D

Oct. 26, 2016, 6:07 p.m.

"more senior levels of government" sometimes pay a lot of attention to the squeaky wheels. Mostly to make them go away.

If folks are in support of Bond et. al. it may make sense to let the decision makers know as much, in order to drown out the squeaking.

I'm not from Van, and rarely ride there, so I don't really have a horse in this race directly but it may be something for NSMBA supporters and shore riders to consider.